Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-18, 09:41 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
This is me too. My workout time is 6-7 in the evenings, with the drawback to that being that we eat dinner later than we probably should. I feel as though my energy and strength are at their peak later in the day though I have thought about doing my cardio/rebounding in the early am and strength work at night so that I can move our eating time up a bit.
This is what I do - workout time is after I get home from work and before I start dinner. Luckily I'm generally off around 4 to 4:15 and don't have much of a drive (maybe 15 to 20 minutes at most).

It does mean that we eat later than I would like but early mornings don't work for me and waiting until after dinner increases the temptation to just sit down and stay there.

I'm in awe of those who can get up so early and workout. I would hurt myself.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 10:07 AM  
cindyw75

LOL, I know! That's my reading the news, checking email, going on social media time. But I am looking to cut it to 1/2 hour like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
1 1/2 hour between waking up and starting your workout?

If so, that’s too much if you are looking to save time. You can have more time to workout if you reduced it to 1/2 hour. Wake up, coffee set up dvd and equipment Boom! The challenge is getting use to start the workout when you are half sleep I got use to it, after few mins I’m IN in the zone.

I’m not a morning person AT ALL, but morning works for me better due to my commute and work responsibilities. Nowadays, I prefer my mind totally clear before a workout. I’m focus and performs better.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 10:10 AM  
cindyw75

I did a "trial run" this morning. I got up at 4:30. I did my usual coffee/let the dogs out/catch up with news and social media till 5. I did a 30 minute workout and was in the shower by 5:50. I got ready like I would on a workday, and was ready a little after 6:30. I'm going to shoot for 4:20 moving forward, that should give me more time to set up my equipment. But yeah, this is doable!
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 10:15 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post
I did a "trial run" this morning. I got up at 4:30. I did my usual coffee/let the dogs out/catch up with news and social media till 5. I did a 30 minute workout and was in the shower by 5:50. I got ready like I would on a workday, and was ready a little after 6:30. I'm going to shoot for 4:20 moving forward, that should give me more time to set up my equipment. But yeah, this is doable!
Glad to hear it! And good idea to break into it before you actually have to do it - it will help make it a habit.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 12:28 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 01:14 PM  
ncl

I also workout in the morning. I won't do it after work. The time I get home is variable but I am almost always hungry and I am tired. Morning is better for me.

I get up anywhere from 5:30 -6 a.m. workouts vary from 60-90 minutes and a good half hour of that is my stretch and some PT things I do. I then make a green smoothie and some decaf tea to drink in the car on the way in (about a 25-30 minute commute). I have my lunch (I take leftovers) ready to put in my lunchbox (i get that ready the night before). I shower and get ready. I have short hair so very low maintenance, takes about 30 seconds to dry (it has partially dried while I am getting ready) and the only makeup I wear is a little eyeliner, mascara and sometimes lipstick. So I have minimized breakfast time, getting ready time, etc to maximize the workout time.

If I am really tired, I might skip day or just do a 30 minute workout so I can sleep a bit longer. I do enjoy the weekends where I can take my time, though. Interesting thread.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 01:26 PM  
adrien_73

I just wanted to add that I actually did work out in the evening for many years. At some point I started having horrible bouts of insomnia that would last for weeks. My doctor suggested not working out at night. Sure enough, I've been able to sleep like a baby ever since. I am more consistent with a morning schedule as well.

I also try to walk at lunch to get some extra activity. Nature does not always cooperate though. New England weather has been really wonky lately!

It may take some trial and error but I am sure you will find a routine that suits you!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 10:50 PM  
Anny

I have been a morning exerciser for many, many years. But this year I changed my job so that I leave for work at 5.30 a.m. and, if it is not a book club or other meeting night, I get home at 7.00 pm (my live at home sons are teens and young adults). So.... I have become an evening exerciser.

I typically do 20 minutes in the evening before reading, writing in my journal and going to bed. I usually do either a Joyce Vedral weights workout or yoga and pilates.

I try to get in a walk each day at lunch.

Weekends I workout in the morning and do cardio or fusion workouts.

So far, so good!
Old 03-17-18, 07:28 AM  
Tanja

I get up at 4 am Monday through Friday

Depending on what rotation I do, I work out between 30 minutes and 60 minutes in the morning. I do all jumping around workouts in the morning (currently I enjoy Chris Freytag's Hiit series and Hip Hop Abs Ultimate workouts). I usually get 10,000 steps in at work while doing my job as the campus is pretty big. The evening is reserved for yoga or non cardio workouts such as Margaret Richards's Unplugged - but evening workouts are just gravy, my main workouts happen exclusively in the mornings. On weekends I work out up to 2 hours.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-18, 07:48 AM  
Carol K

I work out every day after I finish work. I work from home 3 days a week and 2 days in the office. I have a 3 mile commute. I also work out Saturday mornings, unless I have an appointment. If I do, I fit in that workout some other time during the weekend. I work out between 20 and 60 minutes.

Tags
scheduling workouts