Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-17, 09:27 AM  
daisyduke

If you’ve done slim series I have a question please

I’m coming off a few rounds of body beast. I CAN use heavier weights with skim series... where Debbie uses 5 lbs I can use 10 or 15 lbs. should I follow her and use 5 lbs? I mean the point is to use lighter weight... but if I can go heavier should I? Or is that defeating the purpose?

What weights did you use with swim series?

Thanks in advance
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 09:37 AM  
laurajhawk

I've only done Slim in 6, but the principle is the same. Here's what I think: If you are using them as intended - i.e. you're doing this type of workout most days, or even consecutive days - use very light weights, like 5 lbs. If you use weights that give you DOMS, and then you do the same type of workout on the next day, you're sabotaging your gains. If you can use 10 lbs with no DOMS, then you're probably OK.

If you give yourself days off in between, doing cardio or yoga or rest, then I think it would be fine to go heavier. For me I'd want to do the reps slower to be safe, but that would be an easy modification.

I used 3 lbs with Slim in 6. I didn't do them every day but I was aiming at the every-day effect and so I did other light-weight high-rep circuits on other days. (Doing Burn It Up daily messed with my joints, and also made me want to kill Debbie, so I modified the rotation accordingly. I had really good weight-loss results with my modified rotation.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 12:26 PM  
violingal3

I normally follow Debbie, but there are times where I go up to 8, 10 or 12, just depends if I can handle the extra weight and keep up with her reps and maintain good form.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 12:31 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i agree with what everyone has said.

yet i follow debbie on the poundage and i get results. it's more about the sequencing and the high reps.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 09:09 PM  
daisyduke

Makes sense!!

Thanks for your input!!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote