Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-07, 12:45 PM  
AnnR33

Do you workout barefoot?

When I was working out regularly about 7 mos ago I usually worked out barefoot. This was not high impact or anything-mainly Leslie 1 or2 miles and Petra's BREATH which is done barefoot.

I started up again last week doing the same tapes and my feet are hurting. I use one of the dense foam mats (like for kids playrooms) for some impact protection too.

I'm also doing a little yoga and of course, that's fine barefoot. But in some of the stretches i can really feel that the middle of my feet/arch area are tight.
I'm wondering if I just need some major stretching.

OR maybe I'm just getting old!

Wondered if anyone else works out barefoot and do you have any issues?
thanks
Ann
Old 08-26-07, 12:51 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Never, unless it's a yoga or Pilates workout where the instructors/background exercisers are barefoot. I need good shoes for support.

Carol
Carol_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 12:56 PM  
gimmat
VF Supporter

Most of my workouts this year have been barefoot--YBB, yoga, barre work. I've never had a problem with my feet bothering me during the workout, but occasionally I get a foot cramp afterwards.

I hope this is only you getting used to it again!
gimmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 01:29 PM  
killoffsonny

You're not getting old

if you have a toddler.
killoffsonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 01:34 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

I ALWAYS wear shoes except when doing yoga.
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 01:37 PM  
kathy12
VF Supporter

I almost always work out barefoot in the summer, I hate wearing socks. I haven't had any foot problems.
kathy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 01:58 PM  
seabliss

I have had to work out barefoot for the past two weeks because I either broke my toe or came close to it, and the shoes hurt too much. I have been doing free weights, squats, lunges, etc., bar workouts, and the exercise bike (of course, that was no big deal). But Friday I did Cathe's Kick Punch Crunch, and I had on wrist weights. That was probably pushing it. But it occurred to me that real martial arts people don't wear shoes much. So technically it should be ok to kickbox without shoes, unless you have other issues.

Hopefully I'll be able to wear shoes again within the next week or so!
seabliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 02:16 PM  
Tacobelle

I workout barefoot most of the time, and it's not usually an issue. If I'm doing high-impact stuff, then I'll wear shoes but that's only about 1% of the time.

Stretching could probably help you out - you may want to go to a podiatrist to see if they can diagnose your issue. I have plantar fascitis from wearing heels a lot, so when I wear really flat shoes or when I go running, the heel/arch of my foot will hurt too. I just need to remember to stretch out my legs before working out and whenever I remember to keep my feet happy!
Tacobelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 03:17 PM  
Melrose

I worked out with shoes always for many years. I became frustrated when I began using the stability ball because I would slip and slide around with shoes (even on carpet). Now, I only work out with shoes when doing a step tape. I've had no foot problems at all. I used to have recurring plantar fasciitis when working out with shoes, but that may be just a coincidence.
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 03:29 PM  
Mary09

The only time I put on athletic shoes is to get on the treadmill, and sometimes not even then.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote