Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-05, 09:07 AM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

Running & Video Cardio

If you started to run after you started with videos, do you find that step or hi/lo is easier cardiovascularly than it was prior to running? My husband claims that running improves his ability to hike but that hiking doesn't improve his ability to run. I know that it uses different muscles so it may not make the videos easier overall, but I wonder if it decreases gasping for air during intervals for instance.
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 10:52 AM  
adrien_73

I have a treadmill & only started running a few years ago. I've been taking/teaching cardio classes & using DVD workouts...forever!

Now that I run 1-3x per week, I find that most of my cardio DVD's are not as difficult for me cardiovascularly as they used to be. I don't dread my Cathe & Mindy DVD's like I used to!

Running has definitely pushed my past a cardio plateau & increased my cardio endurance...but it HAS come at a price--running really does a number on my knees and back.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 11:05 AM  
Kyra

Running vs. hiking - your husband is on target there. Unless you do a lot of hiking, it probably won't to much for your running. But running will help your hiking by giving you better cardiovascular endurance (good for powering up hills - if you did this often, like weekly, it probably WOULD help your running).

I was running long before I ever did step. The more I am running the easier I find step, cardiovascular-wise, although intervals are still intervals. You can certainly raise the step if needed, add power moves, and push yourself harder and still get a good workout - if you're not fumbling around, clueless, which is how I usually find myself during step routines ('cuz I don't to them often).

The "problem" I have is the more I run, the less I want to do anything else.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 11:42 AM  
EllieE

I will go on these kicks where all I want to do for cardio is run, then all I want to do is step, then kickbox, or whatever.

I usually just go with it, and I have found that going from nothing to running is hard, going from running to step makes step easier, and going from step to running makes my running easier. (well, I'm saying running, but it's more like jogging). hope that helps -E

If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
EllieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 04:15 AM  
jude

I am just starting running and, even though I'm pretty fit for aerobics, step etc, I find this a real challenge. Though I'm also aware that some of this challenge is psychological as I'm so used to being amongst the fittest in a class that going back to more of a beginner group is tough on my ego!
jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 08:03 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

I found that after I started running I was able to complete Cathe's IMax. Before I began running they were much harder and I couldn't complete all of the intervals. But, as my running increased, I had to cut way back on stepping - my knees couldn't take both!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 08:18 AM  
hannahsmom

After reading your posts now I'm wondering myself about running. I am just getting back into exercise because I recently had surgery. I used to be able to do my intervals on treadmill for 45 min no problem. So I thought I would give step a try for something different. I only did step for first time yesterday and had a hard time with it. Should I go back to walk/run on treadmill and get my stamina up and then do step later? Or does it just take a while to get used to step and getting all the moves down? I find that I really like step for something different but find it challenging because I couldn't get through all the moves. Should I maybe get a more basic step tape?
hannahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 01:22 PM  
slate*kate
VF Supporter

Step has apparently helped me

I just got back from a 5K for the Arthritis Foundation. I didn't intend to run it because I hadn't been running since hurting my knee last summer while trying to train for a 10K. But it was only about 27 degrees out and maybe that inspired me.

Anyway I kept up a steady jog and finished in 33 minutes! I know that isn't fast, but I felt good the whole way, never out of breath and heart rate just fine.

I have been doing step regularly, mostly Cathe and I guess that has helped. I have been afraid to run again since last summer but maybe I'll start again. I think I just need to keep the distance down, only 3 or 4 miles and I'll be Okay.
slate*kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 01:42 PM  
blue_hydrangea

Jogging definitely improves my cardiovascular endurance and it makes it easier for me to do my cardio videos! Whenever I take a hiatus from jogging (vacation or being ill), it's a little tougher for me to do my cardio vids. But I also think it depends on what type of cardio videos you do and how much jogging/running you do.

Anne V., I'm in agreement with your husband on the hiking/running theory.
blue_hydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote