Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-13, 04:53 AM  
wellnesswife

*Whine* Shipping prices!!

I just wanted to order Cathes new calendar & saw one if the deals if day was Yoga Relax & have always wanted that one so added it to my cart. Used save15 for $3.45 off...Shipping $10.45!!!? I know I am across country but really!!?

PS I know I don't have anything to complain about compared to those out if country VFers, feel free to rant here...I'm in a whiny mood

Cathe...may not order your calendar & I didn't see it on Amazon...
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 05:12 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I feel you...

I wanted to order a couple of chair pilates workouts from Peak Pilates to use with my MPC... Each dvd cost $19.99 when I checked shipping rates (to Canada) it showed $45.00, I then thought... Let's try just ordering one for now... It still showed $45.00. I still e-mailed asking if there was a mistake, and they said no, it was right I surely did'nt buy any! That's pretty crazy!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 05:58 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I feel you...

I wanted to order a couple of chair pilates workouts from Peak Pilates to use with my MPC... Each dvd cost $19.99 when I checked shipping rates (to Canada) it showed $45.00, I then thought... Let's try just ordering one for now... It still showed $45.00. I still e-mailed asking if there was a mistake, and they said no, it was right I surely did'nt buy any! That's pretty crazy!
That's insane. I thought paying $10 was bad...
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 07:15 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Erica - you can only order the calendar during the preorder. I forget what the shipping was on that but it was around $10.

I sometimes question shipping charges because some are terribly high and seem out of line. But then I'm not having to process the orders, individually hand pack and ship the items. Having said that I compare prices across several venues like many others. Amazon, Total Fitness DVD's, Collage Video, etc.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 07:33 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Overpriced shipping charges are one of my pet peeves for any sort of online ordering, whether fitness related, fashion, or anything.

I've actually sent emails to merchants telling them that if they'd lower their shipping charges, they would be surprised how much more business they would get. I mean, it's really not rocket science.... to be honest, all they have to do is up the price of the item a few dollars and lower the shipping. At least it will "look" like cheaper shipping. Ha ha!

I've had a couple of places I've complained to send me a return email offering free shipping. Of course that's a one time courtesy and then back to outrageous shipping. I just don't get it.

Places like Zappos have the right idea. We all know their prices are a tad higher beause they offer free shipping and free returns, but it works. I'll order from them in a heartbeat!
Old 12-19-13, 07:42 AM  
lilmonkey2

Shipping has become so expensive! I made photo albums from Shutterfly for the grandparents for Christmas and went to mail them yesterday. They were just hard cover books in a padded envelope but priority mail shipping was almost $9 each! I couldn't believe it.

I gladly pay Zappos' prices--aside from the "free" shipping, the speed with which they get things out is amazing, and their customer service is the best.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 07:58 AM  
topfitmama

I guess larger businesses can afford free shipping because they sell a lot more and they probably get discounted shipping. Smaller businesses have to consider whether they will raise their prices or offer free shipping if customers spend a certain amount or buy a certain number of items. Total Fitness, Advanced Workouts and Fitnessfly have very good shipping policies, even for international shipping, and they aren't large businesses.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 08:12 AM  
Zenara25

I just tried it and using USPS the shipping was $6.95 to CA. UPS shipping was $10.71. I added 1 DVD and the 2014 calendar. I made sure I choose the drop down menu and selected 'more carriers' to get the USPS shipping price.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
sherry7899

I bought a purse and cosmetic bag from a seller on Etsy. She charged $9.00 for shipping. I thought that would include Priority Mail-nope, she sent it first class in a padded envelope and it cost $4.00 to ship. I know shipping materials and packing time cost money, that was ridiculous.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
hotncmom

I think the issue is that we know how much it costs to mail something (it costs around $3 typically to mail a DVD in a padded envelope), so we feel like the company is making an extra profit off shipping if they charge $7, for instance. I guess they feel like they are trying to cover the cost of labor to package and print shipping labels.

IMO Mary is extremely generous for a small business to offer free shipping on orders over $19. I do typically tend to patronize businesses that offer free shipping a lot more than those that charge for it.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping