Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-13, 05:20 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTanya View Post
I didn't get all that, either. On one hand, he's a non-responder, and on the other, he's reducing risk of diabetes?

My take (correct me if I'm wrong) is that he's the type who won't ever reach Awesome Athlete Status but that doesn't negate the internal benefits to his overall health.
Yes, that is my understanding. Since he is a non-responder in terms of improving his vo2max/lung capacity, his potential with endurance sports is quite limited. But he probably figured that out anyway. Does being a non-responder mean someone doesn't see any benefits? Well, improving insulin sensitivity is an improvement, and if someone finds pleasure in an aerobic activity that is it's own benefit. I suppose the point is in his situation he can get the health benefits he seeks (improved insulin sensitivity) with a lot of general activity and with a little hiit. More aerobic exercise might not give him better results. (If this is true). Would he get the same from moderate aerobic exercise? It didn't seem to show that clearly, but I can see some in his situation might not like hiit and might prefer to spend more time at a milder intensity. I do find it interesting how it validates that people respond differently to exercise though the focus was pretty small.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 07:17 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
How do you get Vimeo videos to work? Do you have to join?
Alta, I just clicked on the link, hit the play button and it played. I think your connection is worse than mine, maybe that was the issue. I stream gymbox, and I've taken to picking my workout, hitting pause and going in a half hour to an hour later after it's cached most or all of the workout.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 08:37 AM  
orion

I read an article in the past (hard copy, can't find it anymore) about improving VO2Max and it mentioned that the relevant VO2Max training (intense intervals + compound lifting) improve the body's insulin processes.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 10:08 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I read an article in the past (hard copy, can't find it anymore) about improving VO2Max and it mentioned that the relevant VO2Max training (intense intervals + compound lifting) improve the body's insulin processes.
Pretty much any exercise improves insulin sensitivity, which is why it is recommended for diabetes management as well as diabetes prevention. This article was interesting in that it suggests that HIIT and those short bursts were effective in improving insulin sensitivity. I think that's relatively new-ish info (relative to what is known about other exercise protocols). So good news for those who want to do SOMETHING to improve blood sugar management, but don't want to invest a lot of time in exercise.

And yes, it is perfectly possible to be a non-responder in terms of aerobic improvement, but a responder in terms of other metabolic processes.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Alta, I just clicked on the link, hit the play button and it played. I think your connection is worse than mine, maybe that was the issue. I stream gymbox, and I've taken to picking my workout, hitting pause and going in a half hour to an hour later after it's cached most or all of the workout.
Thanks, Lynn! I also think it was a browser problem. I couldn't even find a "play" button with FireFox. Safari seems to be OK.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 04:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i watched it 3x, twice while cleaning out some clutter, and just now, with DH, a health and PE teacher.

the takeaway for me is the improvement in insulin sensitivity.

there was a time when i did 2 min jump rope segments during the commercials of Gilad's TV show on the old "health network" back in the 90s.

although i don't count jump roping as HIIT necessarily (relative to what i had been doing at the time, it might have been extremely intense for me), it might explain why i really firmed up my stomach and lost weight over a period of about a month to 6 weeks. Gilad's TV program was only 30 minutes, including commercials.

in that BBC show, Michael Mosley did that HIIT over roughly the same # of weeks.

Mosley has done more program segments about other health-related topics, and i'll look them up and watch. thanks!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 06:53 PM  
videofit

Something I got from the program that I didn't know was that you can raise the fat burning enzymes in your blood doing any kind of exercise, even walking. Not sure if they are called fat burning enzymes but in the blood draw before and after fatty meals there was much less fat in the sample taken from the regular exerciser. So you don't have to give up some of your favorite fatty foods. Enough to keep me moving.
Old 01-22-13, 01:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Not sure if they are called fat burning enzymes but in the blood draw before and after fatty meals there was much less fat in the sample taken from the regular exerciser.
lipoprotein lipase was the enzyme referred to in the discussion.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 01-22-13, 06:00 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

This was fascinating. Thank you for posting it again since I missed the discussion last time around.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 06:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes it was mentioned here last year. I watched it, as did other VFers. I thought it was very interesting and well done.
BBC The Truth about Exercise (3 mins HIIT per wk is enough) was the original VF thread.

Tags
hiit, michael mosley, pbs, the truth about exercise