Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-07, 04:44 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie2191
I ALWAYS wear shoes except when doing yoga.

Me, too. I am really prissy about my feet and absolutely cannot stand for them to be dirty. And being barefoot in my house would get them that way - LOL!!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 04:48 PM  
Idealmuse

I'll wear shoes sometimes for step or weights so I don't crush a toe, but other then that barefeet all the time. I find I have more control that way. I have puzzle matts too and I don't see to have any issues.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 04:53 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09
Oh, I don't run barefoot. A lot of serious runners do, though. I've been reading some weight lifting forums and they mostly recommend barefoot or at least flat soled shoes without a lot of cushioning. They say if you drop a weight on your foot, if it's big enough to hurt your foot, the shoe isn't going to make much difference.
On what surface? I can't imagine how it would feel to run barefoot on most surfaces! Running barefoot on sand (i.e. a sandy beach!), however, now that actually sounds rather nice.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 04:56 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I'm a barefoot person. All summer I walk barefoot, inside or out. I find that I can do most kickboxing workouts barefoot as long as there isn't too much impact. For instance, I prefer to do Cathe's KB with shoes, but Powerstrike, Tae Bo, etc I can do barefoot.

Of course yoga and pilates I also do barefoot.
Sometimes it's just better to workout with shoes though, for traction, support etc.

Once fall/winter rolls around, it's back to closing in my feet in shoes full time. At least outside.
NO YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE MY FEET! Can you say calloused? Sorry TMI!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 05:25 PM  
Mary09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
On what surface? I can't imagine how it would feel to run barefoot on most surfaces! Running barefoot on sand (i.e. a sandy beach!), however, now that actually sounds rather nice.
All surfaces. They run marathons barefoot. If you google barefoot running you get a lot of info on it, including studies that show it significantly reduces the risk of ankle injuries and plantar fascitis. Here's a recent article.
http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/clift.htm
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 05:28 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I really don't go with the theory that working out/running barefoot reduces the incidence of PF. However, even if that part is true, it sure won't help you if you already have PF.

Just the thought of working out barefoot makes me cringe. I have PF. Even before I had PF I didn't think it was safe. No arch support is not a good thing with any kind of impact.
Old 08-27-07, 05:41 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I love being barefoot, never wear shoes in the house except when working out.

When I was pregnant, the extra weight and looseness of my joints somehow really impressed upon me the importance of supportive shoes. I feel likemy one foot got all stretched out (the arch, maybe?) Now, I really feel like I NEED the extra support when I work out to protect my feet/arches. Pregnancy was like several years of working out without shoes all crammed into 9 months.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 08:50 PM  
Fitnik
VF Supporter

Never wear shoes

I only wear shoes when I'm running - everything else (including step) is done barefooted!

Fitnik
-----------------------------------------
"When all is said and done, I hope that my legacy will be that I was a survivor, a woman who was her own person and persevered time and time again"

- Vanessa Williams
Fitnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 02:27 PM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

Another barefoot exerciser here

Step? Yup
Hi/Lo? Yup
Plyo? Yup
Weights? Yup
Yoga? Of course
Treadmill? Yes, but you've got to build calluses or you'll get blisters...start slow!
Pilates? Of course

Now, we do have a special floor in our exercise area that does add a bit of cushion.

Balance is tough for me and it's easier in shoes so my personal (and of course unresearched) opinion is that the added balance challenge provided by going barefoot is beneficial.

Now if I do wear shoes my feet feel heavy and the workout seems harder.
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote