Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-07, 12:49 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I never hesitate to change the water jug when needed and thanks to strength training, I can do so without spilling any water. The couple of times when different men have insisted on changing it as I was about to, water was spilled both times.

I never want to give up the benefits of strength training.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 12:51 PM  
Cowgirl32

Usually those afraid to lift weights are what I call skinny 'fat'. Where you press the fat and there's only bone. Ewwww :P, I will NEVER give up my strength training!
Old 08-20-07, 01:21 PM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

I think lots of women cultivate that myth of helplessness because once people find out you can do it, they expect it.

I think that's what happened with my husband at any rate. When we get a water delivery who lugs it all to the basement? Why me of course! He never actually asks me to do it but it just sits there if I don't.

My theory is that the average woman in the US lifts more weight over the course of a day than the average man. We don't necessarily lift heavy but we lift often. Groceries? Kids? All the household junk that everyone leaves lying around? Garbage? Yardwork? etc. Men do have more brute strength but some lift something heavy once in a great while and then expect back

Me? I'm still glad to be strong enough to do things for myself. It drives me crazy to have to wait for someone to come and do it for me. I have found my limits though. I CANNOT move a big old iron radiator by myself.
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 01:44 PM  
Pykkalo

My brother (soldier, fresh from Iraq) came out to visit a couple months ago, and he was really surprised to see me lift a 50-lb bag of sugar and carry it into the house under one arm.

I don't know what DH would do if I didn't exercise. There's so much physical labor to do around here (moving building materials, putting up fence, carrying large bags of feed, seed, and fertilizer) that I need to help DH out a lot. Doing that stuff alone isn't enough to keep me strong, and lifting weights sure makes it easier.
Pykkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 02:13 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I've experienced the same water cooler story. In fact, the company I work for got rid of the water coolers. They said it was a "safety" issue - having someone lift the jug. ?!?!?

My reaction was what??? and promptly lifted a jug to show that it was no big deal.
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 02:27 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I've noticed this downside from strength: I'm one person who gets asked more than average to do stuff.

And I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the concept of "bulk" was abetted by male chauvinists to keep women in their place. I mean, where else in today's society can a man write about how women should limit their abilities to remain "feminine" and mostly get away with it?
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote