Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-17, 02:18 PM  
spotted zebra

Recumbent bike, gazelle, or rowing machine? Please help me decide.

Given a choice between a recumbent bike, gazelle, or rowing machine, which would you get? Or if you have them which do you use the most often &/or consider the most fun? I'd love all three to use with my Virtual Active dvds, but I only have room for one. (Well maybe two if I push it). As indecisive as I'm feeling, at least I've managed to cross off an elliptical machine and treadmill from my list...
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 02:35 PM  
sherry7899

I would go with the recumbent bike. I can use the cycling and hiking and runs from Virtual Active on mine. I have never used a gazelle. Aren't rowers really expensive? I have a Schwinn recumbent I got from Sears. They had free delivery and assembly at the time I bought it. I think it is the 620 or 720 model. I can check later. It got really good reviews on Amazon.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 03:59 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I have a Gazelle and a rowing machine, I use the Gazelle a bit more, because as I don't have much space I need to take it out and put away the rowing machine when I'm done, I also experienced a bit of knee pain when I first started with the RM, so having good form with that is important, but it is a good exercise, and I enjoyed using it during the Olympic games while I watched the rowing competitions I don't have a fancy one though. I got both second hand used from kijiji (for a bargain), both looked like almost new.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 04:38 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Does the price matter? Mine would be rowing machine. Big time!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 06:29 PM  
spotted zebra

I used to have a gazelle and it was so much fun, it felt like I was flying. That was when you couldn't adjust the tension on them. Nowadays they have a model where you can. On Amazon I was looking at rowing machines in the $200-300 range so there's not a big difference in price between the three. I don't think I'd get an expensive rowing machine or recumbent bike. A lot of them have come down in price.

Today I'm leaning a bit more towards a recumbent bike or gazelle. But I keep changing my mind.
Old 04-24-17, 06:48 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I would go with the recumbent bike. I can use the cycling and hiking and runs from Virtual Active on mine. I have never used a gazelle. Aren't rowers really expensive? I have a Schwinn recumbent I got from Sears. They had free delivery and assembly at the time I bought it. I think it is the 620 or 720 model. I can check later. It got really good reviews on Amazon.
Sherry, how is it on the knees?
Old 04-24-17, 06:53 PM  
donnamp

The Gazelle looks like fun! I have no room for anything else though!

I do have a recumbent bike and enjoy it from time to time.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 03:08 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
Does the price matter? Mine would be rowing machine. Big time!
Why the preference for a rowing machine? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 04-25-17, 12:02 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I also think the Gazelle is lot of fun! I had one so many years ago when living in my home country (I think my sister took it for her now), I ended getting another one last year, and I still enjoy using it.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 03:47 PM  
spotted zebra

AsSweetAsSugar, thanks for your comments. I'd have never gotten rid of my gazelle if I didn't have to (also did it for a long distance move).

I did more research online today and realized my head was telling me to go one way and my heart the other. I've decided to go with my heart since I know myself enough to know I'll do what feels the most fun the most often. So it's another gazelle because I'd be kicking myself if one day they were no longer available and I missed out. I don't get to go cross-country skiing as often as I used to (love x.c. skiing!), and this always reminds me of that.

I've figured out a way to get more space in my workout area, so it's possible I'll add in a recumbent bike about 6 months from now. I think I'd enjoy using that a fair amount too and alternating between the two. As for the rowing machine, my head was telling me it made sense to get one and yes it would be one Great workout, no question. But deep down I think I'd use it less than the other two machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I also think the Gazelle is lot of fun! I had one so many years ago when living in my home country (I think my sister took it for her now), I ended getting another one last year, and I still enjoy using it.

Thanks everyone who weighed in. The different points of view helped me get some clarity.