Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-13, 07:33 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Those looking for basic/starter yet athletic step

should go to Mary's sale and look at the Gilad and Kathy Kaehler step on offer.

No fancy choreo but the "funnest" up and over, side and back stuff out there.

I just did Kathy's a couple of weeks ago for the first time and I was mad VF had never told me about it before. In fact, I want to know why Kathy is not more worshipped than she is. Great delivery, good cuing, great instructor chops all around. For a buck ninety-nine, you can't go wrong.

And with summer ending, Gilad on a beach is always good. Just ignore the girls in "skin-toned" tights who have to be sweating where it is most unpleasant to sweat. Don' think of their pain, think of Gilad's pleasure.

Oh, and as always, give Susan Powter a look for beginner anything. She is not the screamer in these. She is sincere, to the point, and just nice. Ignore the rep and the hair and just follow her. Heck, mute her if you like. But we all need the basics from time to time, either for ourselves or loved ones. Again, at a buck ninety-nine, give these to those beginner friends who always want recs/to borrow for starting. Susan's covers the beginner waterfront (she lives in the desert; no visible water in the scenery).

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 08:31 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Thank you for posting this. For $1.99 I am willing to give the Kathy Kaehler step a try, I am one who prefers basic step workouts and around 30-40 minutes the length is good too. I think it said the total workout is 50 minutes but there is a 10 minute lower body section following the step routine.

Plus, I am 3 cents short for free shipping, this will help!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 09:08 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post

Plus, I am 3 cents short for free shipping
This sounds like a quote I could use for various applications. Now I just have to wait for the right situation to crop up
Old 09-03-13, 06:08 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I want to know why Kathy is not more worshipped than she is. Great delivery, good cuing, great instructor chops all around.
I have never heard of this workout! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kathy's first book, Real World Fitness, which has one of my alltime favorite paper workouts in it. After that, I collected what few DVDs of hers I could find. Alas, I haven't liked them. The production quality seemed amateurish, and the workouts, I was sad to see, were boring. It's been, oh, eight or nine years, but I seem to recall endless reps of very similar exercises. I just didn't get the same spark from her on DVD that I got from her book!

ITA with you on her "instructor chops," though! I got such a sense of practical empowerment from her book, with absolutely doable, basic, EFFECTIVE exercises. And I will love her FOREVER for making me love pushups. Before KK, I couldn't do one. After, I could knock out dozens.
Old 09-03-13, 06:18 PM  
StrongFree&Happy

...another KK fan here! I got her 2 workouts from Mary's last sale and recently brought her Real World Fitness book. IMO she is the best at basic-but-effective-workouts. Her New Dimension dvd with Cindy Crawford is a fave and great for getting me back on track.
StrongFree&Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 07:19 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I have never heard of this workout! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kathy's first book, Real World Fitness, which has one of my alltime favorite paper workouts in it. After that, I collected what few DVDs of hers I could find. Alas, I haven't liked them. The production quality seemed amateurish, and the workouts, I was sad to see, were boring. It's been, oh, eight or nine years, but I seem to recall endless reps of very similar exercises. I just didn't get the same spark from her on DVD that I got from her book!

ITA with you on her "instructor chops," though! I got such a sense of practical empowerment from her book, with absolutely doable, basic, EFFECTIVE exercises. And I will love her FOREVER for making me love pushups. Before KK, I couldn't do one. After, I could knock out dozens.
With the one KK I had done years ago ($2 at Target), I agree about the production. Not good. But this Kathy Kaehler Basics Workout Class, Step Up to a Better Body, solid on all production issues.

But I like a bit of repetition so I am a little bit weird in that. I didn't find that. But for step, repetition for me is good because it takes a bit for me to get it.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 07:01 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I have that Kathy step video and I like it! I got it really cheaply a few months ago in a 2-pack with her toning video; both were maybe $2 at Amazon? They're both good and serve a purpose in my library. And I really like Kathy. She and Cindy Crawford are great in A New Dimension, and I also have her workouts with Claudia Schiffer on DVD.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 12:23 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I just tried the step workout and I liked it too. I thought the cueing was okay, I got tripped up in spots but I am sure I will have it down after a few times. I thought it moved a little fast in areas too, overall I liked it though and I will do it again.

I am almost curious about the strength workout now too, maybe I will pick up at Mary's next sale. She usually has this pair at a really low price.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginners, gilad, kathy kaehler, susan powter