Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-11, 01:59 AM  
IvysMom

Woo-hoo! Old Kathy Kaehler vhs workout may be re-released on dvd!

I sent a private message to Kathy Kaehler on Twitter, asking why the Perfectly Fit series was available on all dvd regions except for the US. Just got a response.

Quote:
"unfortunately it is done by black market. I am looking into re-releasing. Long process but worth it stay tuned @kathykaehler.net "
This would be awesome if she re-releases it onto dvd. I have a region 2 dvd of it(didn't know it was black market though ) I got on ebay a long while ago. Was trying to burn a region free copy on my computer & was having trouble so I re-purchased the vhs copies and haven't gotten around to transfering to dvd that way, since the baby's been sick for the past week.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 02:35 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this is the Claudia Schiffer series, right?

i think because Claudia is from Australia, it was region 2 forever, understandably. but i was thinking that it was more of a legal rights thing which was preventing it from being marketed in the US. similar to the Elle MacPherson video that Karen Voight did - only region 2.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:23 AM  
D72

That's great-thank you!
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:27 AM  
groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

i think because Claudia is from Australia, it was region 2 forever, understandably. but i was thinking that it was more of a legal rights thing which was preventing it from being marketed in the US. similar to the Elle MacPherson video that Karen Voight did - only region 2.

Claudia Shiffer is from Germany !

Olga
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:34 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy View Post
Claudia Shiffer is from Germany !
Olga
Germany is region 2, and I was thinking along the lines of Bzar. I've had the PAL DVDs for a few years. I thought they were legal. Susan Powter is another one. For the longest time you could get her older VHS workouts in PAL region 2 DVDs from Amazon.co.uk. There were issues in the US so she wouldn't release them here. I have Claudia's, Elle's, and Susan Powter's original step workout all on PAL DVDs. You people need multi-regional players! I'd never have the patience to wait for DVDs to be released in NTSC so many years later, knowing you don't have to!
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:42 AM  
D72

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra View Post
Germany is region 2, and I was thinking along the lines of Bzar.
I absolutely agree too and I never doubted that there had to be (many) legal reasons why both those workouts (Claudia's set and Elle's) weren't available here but were in seemingly every other part of the world.

What was always very strange about that to me though was that these were US-produced workouts with US-trainers and I suppose I went looking for a direct explanation from Kathy herself as to why this market never got them.

And I totally agree that multi-regional players will change one's media life! :]

Diana
Old 01-26-11, 09:52 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Before buying a new player, see if there's a code that will unlock your current player:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

I got my Toshiba player to play UK DVDs just fine! It opens up a whole new world of vidiocy - UK DVDs have much better music than US ones.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:52 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by D72 View Post
I absolutely agree too and I never doubted that there had to be (many) legal reasons why both those workouts (Claudia's set and Elle's) weren't available here.

What was always very strange about that to me though was that these were US-produced workouts with US-trainers and I suppose I went looking for a direct explanation from Kathy herself as to why this market never got them.

And I totally agree that multi-regional players will change one's media life! :]

Diana
Interesting. I know I was surprised Susan Powter's programs weren't released in the US considering they too were US productions with a US-trainer. But then I saw her on Geraldo's old show talking about how she had been jerked around by the producers and taken for a lot of $$ so she refused to give in to them on the DVD releases. I guess it doesn't take much to hold back production when not everyone on board agrees to the terms (even when the programs have already been released on VHS). It was actually a funny interview. Susan was saying she'd be happy to go back to waitressing because she used to be an excellent waitress before she'd let them walk all over her again. This was back in the days when Susan was a bit more coherent than in recent years. Nowadays I don't have the patience to listen to her rants.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 10:01 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

germany - i stand corrected!

but yah, i think it's a rights thing, not black market.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 10:19 AM  
D72

Interesting!

Tags
kathy kaehler, perfectly fit