Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-04-20, 07:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - Who Says Nothing Is Impossible? I've Done Nothing for Years. Oct 4

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 07:53 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yesterday was a busy day, catch up around house day. I did laundry and cooked for DH and cleaned up a couple of areas. I did a short but intense (for me) cardio workout and went on a walk with DH.

The traps have caught two mice so far. We're hoping that's it. Today will be clean-out-the-pantry-and-clean-it-out-after-the-mice day. It's a big job because we have a LOT of food in our pantry.

We continue with our string of beautiful days. I think it's supposed to be cloudier today, but they forecast no rain.

Anita - It's good that things went well at the WRC and you so enjoyed seeing people. It sounds like you know what you want in a retirement place.

Paula - When I thought about it on Friday, I realized DH might want to get out. He spends a lot more time in the house than me. So we went on a drive. We found back roads and opened the sunroof.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-04-20, 08:51 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Thanks for getting us started, Laura! Love the title - very appropriate for me these retirement years, it seems!

I'm planning on giving Gus a nice walk and doing some more perennial trimming - didn't get any done yesterday. Last night was our first frost - lots of glittery surface still out there. Otherwise putzing around. Gotta remind myself that today I need to water the orchids downstairs.

Paula, sorry that allergies so limit your outdoor activities. Wondering if wearing the mask for Covid-19 limits your exposure to pollen in the air - the pollen would be bigger than the virus. Might show how ineffective cloth masks really are... Or does eye or skin contact to pollen also trigger you? I'm sure the air quality from the fires doesn't help either...

Laura, hope you got all the mice from your house! Wish there was an easy way to detect if you have more. I'd still keep the traps out! I wonder if your pantry size is related with the gluten-free issues - a simple recipe with wheat seems to take 6 other ingredients to substitute the wheat out. I saw that with my friend who was also gluten-free - she traveled with two big boxes of ingredients just to survive! I'm glad she has a passion for cooking! Frankly, I don't think I've had any flour in my house in almost a decade .

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 08:15 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B. Body Sculpting Day 3 and Yoga With Adriene, Home Day 4.

Nothing interesting to report about today, grocery day. At least it was a little cooler today - the high was 90 degrees. Still hot when I tried to do some gardening in the late afternoon.

Laura, thanks for getting us started. Cute theme. Ugh but good on catching the mice. Good luck with the pantry - we just did that. Good air tight containers help a lot. Glad you were able to get out of the house and go for a ride - fun to open up the sunroof. Small things are often the best, aren't they?

Anita, I have had allergies all my life. When I was growing up in NY they were severe and I do mean severe - lying on the couch just trying to keep breathing severe. My brother had them too but not as severe as mine. The allergy situation was one of the reasons my mother moved us to California and they were better here. Not sure a mask makes any difference. What I have noticed was when I have an allergy attack and I'm wearing a mask, I have to take it off to sneeze, I try to get outside. The one or two times I was unable to do that - the people in the store looked at me like I was Typhoid Mary.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 07:09 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I woke up at 3:30, went back to bed at 5:00 and couldn't go to sleep and got back up at 5:45. So, I'm tired and have a busy day coming up with a check-in appointment with my rheumatologist and two virtual training sessions. I'll try to get in something for exercise, most likely a walk.

Paula - That's interesting that upstate New York was so bad for you. It's good that California is better for you. Hawaii would probably be great for you. You might not be able to afford to live there, but your sinuses would be good. (Hawaii is where DH has always felt best with his fibromyalgia and that's what we say about living there...) Yeah, 2020 is the year of appreciating the small things!

Anita - Yeah, we're keeping out the traps until we're sure they're all gone. So far, so good. I think a lot of the pantry crowdedness is DH's gluten-free diet and my tendency to stock up on hard-to-find stuff when I do find them. Did you remember to water the orchids?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-05-20, 08:21 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I saw the International Space Station flying overhead last night at 7:30 pm! Cool! I was able to see enough detail with my eyes to see the solar panels attached to it. That surprised me as I was just expecting to see a white spot up there. There will be some repeat sightings in the next week or so https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sigh...s#.X3suai2ZPyU

Today planning on walking Gus and stopping by the compost pile for another dump. I did laundry last night, but tonight will be the orchid watering (thanks for the reminder, Laura!). I'll probably fill the tubs again with yard trimmings. The hip is doing OK - no naproxen taken for the last two days!

Paula, so sorry for all that heat you're living in! I complain lots if 90's get past three days straight here! Sorry your mask doesn't seem to help with the allergies .

Laura, I get lots of wake-ups during the night but just refuse to get out of bed till morning - I don't think I could do a 5:45 am wake-up without good reason to! Thanks for the orchid watering reminder! I'll do it today!

Anita
Old 10-05-20, 09:19 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Body Sculpting - Day 4 followed by Yoga with Adriene Home Day 5.

Laura, yeah, New York was hard - not in the winter of course - but then my nose was running from the cold. lol. It was a small village - literally. Largely desendents of Dutch settlers (the Dutch were there since New York was New Amsterdam). But it's a farming area, orchards mostly. Trees in blossom, ragweed (which is everywhere) and hay fields (most farmers grew hay for the livestock) made summer hard for me. Also, I still had to help when I could - picking fruit, picking vegetables, and even helping with the haying. It's beautiful there, I have good memories and still have family there but I could never move back. Frankly I'm afraid to move to NC even though my brother and sister and their families live there now. I'm afraid of having massive allergy attacks like I had as a kid. Hawaii might be good - it rains there everyday so the pollen level might be lower. I like Hawaii but think I would get island fever. DH and I have thought about the Pacific Northwest thinking with all the rain the pollen level would be low, but not sure whether we'd like that either. We're used to lots of sunny days now.

Anita, I am amazed you could see the solar panels on the space station! We saw it once, on a clear night in the desert. Not sure we could see the space station now - too much smoke in the air for a clear view. Weather in the 90's again today. We did go flying early the air quality wasn't the best - so smoky it was hard to see the mountains. Glad you're doing so well with the hip. DH and I are early risers, heck DH is an insomniac, he's often up before 4 a.m. I get up about 5:30 most days. Of course we're the early to bed too.
Old 10-06-20, 07:45 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus, cutting some more perennials for the compost pile, going grocery shopping, and just putzing around. My hip was hurting yesterday during our walk, so I took some naproxen when I got home and today it's back to being pain-free.

Paula, At first when I saw the panels, I wondered if it was the usual four directional twinkle in my eye I now get sometimes looking at bright lights, but the angles of the solar panels (4 panels about 60 degrees apart in two directions) didn't match my eye's twinkles (90 degrees all around) and I didn't have that twinkle going that night. It was for real the solar panels! I had given away my binoculars a few months ago as I can't see well through them any more. I must just like to sleep LOTS - I go to bed around 9 pm and wake up around 7 am - I do probably spend about an hour in the evening playing around on my iPod before falling asleep. Frankly, not having to get up early (other than a WRC morning) is my favorite part of retirement! I just keep praying that those fires end in CA and your air quality returns!

Anita
Old 10-06-20, 07:23 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a busy day. All the mice seem to be gone, but now we are cleaning off everything in the pantry. And we have a LOT in the pantry. I spent part of the day cleaning off canned goods. And I did laundry and cleaned up the kitchen and other stuff. This evening, I had a virtual training session on Excel for 1.5 hours and then created homework for her to do based on what we covered tonight.

Anita - It's great that you can take Naproxen so sparingly. Your hip is doing so well.

Paula - I don't know that you would do well in NC. I never had allergy issues in DC and in NC I have them almost constantly. They are mild compared to what you have. Do you notice problems when you visit.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-06-20, 08:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Body Sculpting Day 5 Moderate Weights followed by Yoga With Adriene Home Day 6.

Anita, Glad your hip is not hurting today. I am envious that you are able to go to bed at 9 pm and sleep until 7 am. I would sleep in if I could, I sometimes sleep until 6 but almost never beyond that.

Laura, yay for the mice being gone. I don't think I'd do well in NC. I usually go in September and the allergy problem is about the same as here. I visited once in March and that didn't go well. In spite of taking a pill morning and evening I had a massive attack that I was still struggling with long after I got home, had to get an inhaler from my doctor. I miss my family but just don't see myself making the move.