Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-11, 11:30 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
I wanted to take circus classes, but I couldn't afford the clown suit.
Just put some red lipstick on your nose, get some oversized shoes at the thrift store, stick a squirting flower in your lapel, and carry a squeeze-bulb bicycle horn {honka-honka!}
Old 07-29-11, 11:57 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

when I worked out in college is was mostly vanity. I only did step workouts about 3 times a week and no weights or upper body work. For some reason, I didn't think it was necessary to have muscle!
Then, over about a 10 year period while I was starting my career and family fitness went by the way side. I would try repeatedly to get going on some kind of routine only to have it last a few months than I would stop again.

Finally, in March of 2010 it occurred to me that even though I was eating the same as always (never particuarly had a huge weight/excessive eating problem) I was still gaining weight at the rate of about 1 pound a year. The only thing I could attribute it to was that my metabolism was naturally slowing down as I'm getting older (I'll be 39 in October). It hit me that I needed to do something to reverse this trend. Even though my weight was still technically in the "healthy" BMI range it was on the high end (23.8) and it was all fat/no muscle! Now after a year and half I am proud to say I have lots of muscle and have gone down 2 pants sizes and reduced my BMI to 21.9.

I exercise for health, stress reduction and most of all I feel proud and empowered by what I've accomplished! Going down to a pant size I haven't been in since high school was just gravy!
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 12:12 PM  
videofit

I work out because it helps me look good and feel good. As for type of workout, that has changed over the years based on what I found that I liked better than the previous thing.
Old 07-29-11, 12:14 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
I wanted to take circus classes, but I couldn't afford the clown suit.
A friend of mine took a trapeze class and loved it.
Old 07-29-11, 12:46 PM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
It's a comfort knowing there are others who stumble in the wee hours pushing furniture around and getting equipment in place, then pressing 'play' and entering into a special world. We emerge sometime later, sweaty and usually full of endorphins, ready to face another day in the real world. It's just good knowing there are others "out there" who are making that time (morning or whenever) to experience what I've found to be a real joy.

Why do I do it? I love it. I need it. I look forward to it. It's MY TIME when the only demands on me are the ones I impose.

I may be "nuts", as some in my "real world" claim, but as long as VFers are out there, I'm not alone!
I love every single thing that your wrote Judy This sums it up so nicely!

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 12:49 PM  
sciencelady

I'm the circus class person that Laura referred to - my classes are a little bit of everything (except clowning ) aerial training (trapeze (swinging, flying, multiple stationary, bungee, and duo trapeze variants), hoop, silks, Spanish web), tumbling and partner balancing, trampoline, German wheel, juggling, unicycle, globes, wire walking... basically adult play time ! I've been doing the classes for about five years and have performed on multiple trapeze, Spanish web, and knotted silks. It's a lot of fun and motivates me to keep my fitness routine up because it requires all my strength, flexibility, cardio and balance and keeping my weight in maintenance! Circus is the reason now for doing what I do .
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 01:01 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
It's a comfort knowing there are others who stumble in the wee hours pushing furniture around and getting equipment in place, then pressing 'play' and entering into a special world. We emerge sometime later, sweaty and usually full of endorphins, ready to face another day in the real world. It's just good knowing there are others "out there" who are making that time (morning or whenever) to experience what I've found to be a real joy.

Why do I do it? I love it. I need it. I look forward to it. It's MY TIME when the only demands on me are the ones I impose.

I may be "nuts", as some in my "real world" claim, but as long as VFers are out there, I'm not alone!
Yeah, what Judy said!! LOve it!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 01:59 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:

Yes, you summed it up very well. People in my real world think I'm either crazy or a hero.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 02:32 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Hmmm.... I do what I do because I enjoy it! I love doing, thinking, recording, and planning workouts or runs. It gives me a sense of well being I can't get any other way. I can't say I do it for vanity alone because no matter what size or shape I am....I still workout.

I enjoy coming here to VF (and the YaYas) to find out about the latest and greatest releases. You all have sold me on SO many DVDs and VHS tapes, lol!

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 03:27 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

I started working out because I was very overweight. Now I work out because I love it and the way it makes me feel including my mood and the reduction of stress. I really enjoy the strength I have achieved and how I look. However, I also enjoy the health benefits such as low blood pressure, cholestrol, sugar levels and heart rate as well as a higher metabolism. My family has alot of high cholestrol, blood pressure, heart and sugar issues so it is nice to have that consistently under control (though exercise alone did not accomplish it).