Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-11, 01:32 PM  
sherry7899

achy knees-could it be from Zumba?

I tried twenty minutes of a beginner Zumba workout last week. I exercise on puzzle mats, and I was wearing crosstrainers. However, I did not do any pivots. My knees have been aching ever since.

I don't know if this happened because I just got back to exercising (again!), or if it's just because I haven't done dance workouts in awhile. I did order dance sneakers to use next time. I'm interested in buying the new Zumba set, but I'm afraid they'll bother my knees every time.

I've never had knee problems before.

Thanks!
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 04:23 PM  
dmlarue1

I gave up doing Zumba because it was making my knees achy. I had the wii game and the transformation set. I was bummed because I really liked it . I know some people have said shoes make a big difference but I just didn't want to invest in shoes, when I have plenty of other workouts and things to spend money on!
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 05:45 PM  
killoffsonny

Shoes make a difference. I do zumba at my gym. Wearing regular trainers caused all my joints to hurt from my ankle up to my knee. Switching to dance sneakers helped quite a bit.
Old 05-17-11, 07:45 PM  
ardnas

I wear running shoes when doing Zumba and all that ever hurts are my hips, but I avoid any jumping.
Old 05-17-11, 08:19 PM  
sjazz78

Yhis si so good to know because I've been having feet/knee issues due to the concrete floor at work. Recently moved into a new building for work.
I will be going to a podiatrist in the new couple of week and thanks to you all I'll Ill have some good questions to as as far as shoe recommendations based on my activites. Easy to for get to ask about somethings.
Old 05-18-11, 01:27 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Cross trainers and running sneakers are not good choices for zumba - I wear dance sneakers and put orthotics in them. Also, I think that the puzzle pieces would also add a bit of resistance/friction and make the knees a bit sore during pivot and other (zumba) dance moves such as hips and twists, etc.
Old 05-18-11, 01:36 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks! I will use the Zumba workouts on our Berber carpet instead of the puzzle mats while wearing dance shoes. Do you think that would be the best option?

Thank you,
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 02:35 PM  
sjazz78

Will be getting laminates put in throughout my house within the next few weeks. My livingroom, diningroom and foyer are my workout areas so those areas will be done first. In the meantime I've been modifing all my pivots and turns with marching in place or just lifting my feet via other moves as long as I maintain a count so I don't miss a beat.
Makes it real interesting for me.
Old 05-18-11, 07:17 PM  
creatrix

I haven't tried this, but I have read that duct tape on the sole of your shoe (I'd use old ones for this!) help reduce friction when working out or dancing on carpet. Not the whole sole, just under the ball of the foot.
creatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 07:28 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatrix View Post
I haven't tried this, but I have read that duct tape on the sole of your shoe (I'd use old ones for this!) help reduce friction when working out or dancing on carpet. Not the whole sole, just under the ball of the foot.
Works - I've done this with an older pair of running shoes that still have a lot of padding in the soles.

Tags
knees, zumba