Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-21, 12:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Beth - something like $7 for the set, and i have a coupon too. the thing my old ones don't do too well with is re-inflation. supposedly, these balls are inflatable in addition to having sand in them.

i read through some old posts about Karen Voight's use of such weights. is it true she also sold "palm weights"? were they identical to green genies?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 06:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
the thing my old ones don't do too well with is re-inflation. supposedly, these balls are inflatable in addition to having sand in them.
before deciding to go back for the green genies, i decided to look at my generic set that i bought years ago from Walmart. they're like a dark pink/fuschia. i think they're filled with some type of dense, gooey rubber, instead of sand - read below.

i found them under a shelf and noticed that one of them had some white gooey rubber on the outside, so i thought maybe an old rubber band or glue got stuck to it. it looks like caulking, really

i cleaned it up and tried to look at the hole where i thought you could inflate it with air because this ball is still soft and squishy and the other is hard. trying not to LOL here. EDITED to add: the hole is probably where the manufacturer injected it with the white filler.

i weighed each on my digital scale, and the squishy one is exactly 3# and the hard one was a little under 3#.

strongly considering getting the green genies now.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 02-07-21, 06:22 PM  
Vantreesta

No more debate, Jeannine. Go get them before someone beats you to them!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 07:22 PM  
fanofladyvols

Vantreesta what a haul!

Jeannine go back and get them!!

I picked up Dasha Libin's Kettlebell Scorcher series . It's not exactly in great shape but seems to play well so I am glad I found it for cheap. I look forward to trying it one day.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 07:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

okay gang, i plan to go today while everyone is watching the superbowl! thanks for the nudge!

i wanted to ask - Leslie's WATP balls - are those really filled with sand? and are they 2# each?

no, i have never seen them in a thrift store, but if i did, i would get them. balls have a different dynamic.

Old 02-08-21, 05:19 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ok, i picked up the green genies. got them and a music CD for $5.24 net of discount.

i can tell that the green genies are filled with sand, and not as soft as one of my Walmart weighted balls. the surface "gives" when you press it and you can feel the sand moving around. if it came with an owner's manual, it's missing from the box. this will definitely motivate me to use my old Karen videos.

i've been reading that Tracie Long's Reboot workout uses small medicine balls like these. if anyone can chime in about Tracie's video, please do.

Old 02-08-21, 08:29 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Yay Jeannine - I was definitely going to tell you to go back for them. I think your old Walmart balls served their time!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 02:14 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
So looking at them again I have a suspicion some are duplicates. There are a couple I know I have but I *think* they're on VHS.

Crunch Candlelight Yoga
Lindsey Brin Core Fitness for Moms (even though I'm not a mom to humans)
Fluidity Seat & Thigh (shrinkwrap)
Shiva Rea Creative Core + Lower Body
Element Yoga for Energy & Relaxation (sounds familiar but I don't think I have any Element ones with a male instructor)
Spri Slanted Risers Take the Next Step (Spreen & Glick)
Yoga to the Rescue for Neck & Shoulders (not sure if this looks familiar bc I have it ir bc it's been on my wish list for years!)
Turbo Jam Kickin' Core (I suspect I have this but couldn't take the chance!)
MTV Pilates (purple cover)
Tae Bo Cardio and Flex (shrinkwrap; really hoping I'm right & these are on VHS)
Firm BSS2 Upper Body Sculpt (ditto Tae Bo)
Yogilates level 2
Barbara Benagh Yoga for Stress Relief (think this is a straight up duplicate )
Yay, I just finished cataloging these and there's only one duplicate out of the bunch! I think I'll send it to my aunt.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 05:17 PM  
edensmom

I just found the complete set of Piyo at Goodwill for $3.99 last night.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 05:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I just found the complete set of Piyo at Goodwill for $3.99 last night.
Great find, and also a good reminder since I haven't done these in awhile. (I got my Piyo set at a used book sale awhile back, I think for $1.99 but it may have been a little more.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heidi sormaz, thrift store finds