Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-18, 01:20 AM  
suzannaerin

Lannette , thank you!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 06:03 PM  
videofit

Ooh, I just spotted these hooks which are made smaller for women's wrists.

Looks like gripper tubes to go over the hooks are sold separately. What would be a good substitute or would it be needed at all?
https://www.amazon.com/Haulin-Hooks-...ustomerReviews
Old 08-07-18, 07:23 PM  
Lannette

The hooks I bought came with a rubberized material around the hooks. I didn’t have to buy it separately. My wrists measure 5.75” in diameter and they’re small enough when pulled completely tight. They’re by Leeboulder.

Mine also cost more than $30.00 less.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 02:10 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
The hooks I bought came with a rubberized material around the hooks. I didn’t have to buy it separately. My wrists measure 5.75” in diameter and they’re small enough when pulled completely tight. They’re by Leeboulder.

Mine also cost more than $30.00 less.
I read the one star reviews so was hesitating. There is no way to know if these were manufactured at different places or if they revised the design.

Someone posted a photo of the faulty design. What do you think? You can see the photo of faulty one if you look for one star reviews
https://www.amazon.com/LEBBOULDER-Li...ews-filter-bar

Two reviews:

.This product is built terribly and is a huge safety risk, be careful before you buy this product. There is a metal ring that is used to pull the wrist strap in place, this metal ring has a gap in for assembly, while using this the fabric got caught in this metal ring and ripped apart the fabric that was holding the ring, causing the metal ring to fall out, I just happened to be doing farmer walks, and all of a sudden the hook for my left and just fell off, which caught me off balance while doing farmers walk and caused me to injure my shoulder.

The straps to these hooks are exceptionally long. They are unusable for me a 5'4" woman. My husband is 6'3" and unable to use them as well. The hooks hang past where you would grip the bar so you would have to not hold the bar with your hands at all and just let the hooks hold them. We have tried to wear them diff ways and nothing works. The straps seem like nice quality but unfortunately its a faulty design.
Old 08-08-18, 04:34 PM  
Lannette

I also saw that review and hesitated. I knew amazon would make it right if they arrived and didn’t fit. I took a chance and was pleased with them when they arrived. I’ve been using them for a month and a half without problems. I use them pretty much 6 days a week but only for a few minutes at a time. They fit my wrists well enough.

I don’t use them to hang onto a heavy barbell like the person who had his break. I weigh 116.6 and am still losing weight. That’s as much weight as I expect them to handle.

I guess it really depends on how you’ll use them. Oh, I got the black ones. The ones that broke were blue. I wonder if they were different lots or something. Maybe I just lucked out.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-18, 01:07 PM  
videofit

I wonder if these are a newer version of those so perhaps any design flaws were fixed. No reviews on Amazon yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Weight-Liftin...r+weight+hooks
Old 08-09-18, 01:48 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I just came across a video on Youtube some of you might find of interest. Dr. Emily Splichal (remember her V-Core?) discusses "Fascial Tensioning & The Bodyweight Athlete" and touches upon the pull-up at about 43/44 minutes into the video. Some good cues. For example, she says the most important fingers for gripping are the fourth and fifth digits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ev2fs1x1fw
Old 08-09-18, 01:55 PM  
videofit

Decisions, decisions! Which is why I hate shopping. I finally bought these, basically because they are pink.

https://www.amazon.com/DMoose-Fitnes...ustomerReviews
Old 08-14-18, 02:25 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I've been thinking of Pavel and how much I've learned from him on many counts: lifting, KBs, joint mobility, and stretching. On "hanging" for decompression -- the "Spinal Decompression Hang" , you might try -- if you don't already do it, what Pavel calls "contrast breathing" by inhaling and tightening and then releasing your stomach and glutes. You can see that demonstrated here (around 5:05).

My favorite hang though is from the Fluidity Bar or kitchen sink for a lat stretch (demonstrated around 16:15 in the same video).
Old 08-16-18, 08:18 PM  
videofit

Got the hooks but don't feel secure using them. For hanging I can't quite relax enough to let my wrists hold more weight.

Using them for curls, I fear the dumbbells will slip out if I lift much higher than horizontal. Palms always have to be facing up so there is limited use for these hooks.

Tags
pull up bands, pull up help, pull ups, pull-ups