Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-14, 09:12 AM  
bubbles76

Question on PushUps

I am still trying to work my way up to doing 50 consecutive pushups. So far, I am a long way from that - I can only get out 20 at the most. However, I am working with a pushup app to help with that. I am up to doing 45 pushups (5 sets of 9 with a one minute rest in between) 3 times a week. This is in addition to my regular strength work, which does include chest and back work.

On the forum I often hear about overworking your chest muscles at the expense of the back, causing a hunched look in some people or shoulder pain. If I am doing pushups every week, should I follow up with pullups or pull downs? I also want to work on pullups, but I don't have a pull up bar. Fighting with Big Bubble on that one. I do have my bodylastics and a door anchor, so I could do pull downs.

Or am I overthinking?

Thanks for the advice!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:22 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
On the forum I often hear about overworking your chest muscles at the expense of my back, causing a hunched look in some people or shoulder pain. If I am doing pushups every week, should I follow up with pullups or pull downs?
And rows. You needn't follow it immediately. You could do it on a different day, if you wanted. You can keep things balanced by counting the sets of pushing vs the sets of pulling.

What's the Big Bubble?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:57 AM  
suzannaerin

Big Bubble is her DH!

Let us know when you reach your goal!!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 10:43 AM  
Sollamyn

Just FYI, be sure to include stretching for the chest muscles. This will help to combat tightness in that area. I had been suffering shoulder pain for years (due to hunching over my desk at work, I guess), and just recently went through a couple of rounds of physical therapy. In addition to strengthening exercises for the shoulders, rotator cuff, and back, I was prescribed stretches for the chest. Within a couple of weeks, my pain improved by 80% or more (it's hard to quantify pain!). Anyway, I feel tons better than before the therapy!

Good luck with reaching your goal!

Donna
Old 12-06-14, 02:40 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I once read that if you can do 2 sets of 16 push-ups, you will not gain any strength by increasing the number. You gain endurance, but no more muscle strength. You have to do something to make the push-ups harder, such as elevating your feet, slowing the pace etc.
Old 12-07-14, 08:52 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks for the responses everyone!

KarenP, so you're saying if I'm doing 5 sets of 9 pushups then I should do the same for pullups (pull downs) and rows? Seems reasonable. And yes, Big Bubble is my DH

Suzannaerin, I will definitely let you know! It's hard to get there, because I keep starting and stopping, due to soreness, overdoing it, laziness, etc. I will get there though!

Sollamyn you are right about stretching. I am usually stretching during the one minute rest in between, but sometimes I forget. I will be sure to look up some other chest stretches on youtube, as it seems that only two that I've tried seem to work.

JaneP thanks for the tip! I am trying to go for strength and endurance. Mostly, this started because I wanted to surpass what I was able to do while in the military, but there are so many interesting push up variations, I want to try them all. Currently, I can't even do 2 sets of 16 consecutive pushups, so I guess when I can it will be time to change things up. For some reason, slowing the pace makes it easier for me. Elevating one leg definitely makes it harder!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 10:29 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
KarenP, so you're saying if I'm doing 5 sets of 9 pushups then I should do the same for pullups (pull downs) and rows? Seems reasonable.
Something like that. You can actually work more pulling than pressing for healthy shoulders.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overtraining chest, pullups, pushups