Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-11, 11:27 AM  
buffmama

I'm simply trying to do one a night. I have better form than when I started, can hold it, and am working on the negative. Going crazy with them for me would be adding another in the morning.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 12:40 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
I've been doing these since 1999. I think they're a great goal to reach for.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

• Being lean really helps because you're lifting your entire body weight. Any extra fat means extra pounds you need to lift. That extra fat is like adding more weight to a barbell for a lift.

• If you're used to lifting with videos, this is going to be a very different kind of lifting. It's much more intensity in a shorter amount of time. It will feel very different than the endurance style lifting you see in most videos.

• I think negatives are a great way to increase your pulling strength. BUT you need to be pretty strong to do them. If you can't control yourself during throughout the negative part of the chin-up (i.e. if you drop like a stone), hold off on the negatives until you build enough strength.

• Make sure you keep your shoulder girdle tight at the bottom of the movement: protect your rotator cuffs.
This is good advice!!! thanks
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 12:44 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I bought some Superbands at Perform Better to help me. I was able to do some chin-ups on my own but now I have to build up to them again. I never could do a pull-up without a band. Some VFers bought Woodybands.
Helen, did you get the1-3/4 band? I just checked out the place I was looking at Workoutz.com and they are the same price.

how long have you had it (them) did you purchase more then one and how is it holding up?

I'm not doing woody as they are too expensive.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 03:51 PM  
kitty12

I keep telling my hubby I want a bar to do these from. I do a ton of upper body work but nothing really for that. But your thread inspired me to see if there is some place in the house that I could try a couple. I just used the wire shelving in our master bedroom closet. I managed to do two sets of three!!! I did the ones with the palms facing in. Not sure I could do the other way. I don't dare do any more using the closet shelving though - I don't think it is really designed to support my weight.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 04:50 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

You can always just get a piece of pipe and hang it from chain to a support beam in the ceiling. Not attractive but it would work in a closet or a basement or a shed.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 04:52 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
I try to do 10 sets of 3-4 with 30-60 seconds rest between sets once per week.
Yeesh, that's impressive. I did Zuzana's 300 rep workout the other day with 30 pullups and I was DYING.... Do you do them from a dead hang?

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chin ups, pull ups, pull-ups