Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
I think we're talking assisted chin-ups here, as pictured here:

http://www.stumptuous.com/mistressing-the-pullup

(scroll down)
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 09:40 PM  
violingal3

Just to chime in - I have been doing a lot of Jillian's NMTZ and BFBM and I am having "ripped" results in my arms that heavy lifting or light weight/low reps work has never done for me! It's all those dang core work segemnts where you hold a plank position and do mountain climbers, twists and those wretched walking push ups!!!!! My arms are fried afterwards, but after I started doing these this past summer I have really increased my core and upper body strength!!!!!! And it shows!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 09:50 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Good to know about the Jillian workouts -- I love NMTZ, so have no trouble reaching for it, but I find Jillian hard to take in all her other ones. I'll have to keep your results in mind and try to reach for BFFM more often! Thanks for sharing.....
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 11:50 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I was on a Firm trip once, and met a woman who had fantastic arms. She said she had decent arms before, but she attributed her fantastic arms to push-ups.
I remember Karen Voight saying something similar in (I think) Streamline Fitness when it was time to do push-ups, "If you want to have good arms, you need to do push-ups."

I agree that push-ups involve the core. When I did STS, I was soooooo sore in my core from all the push-ups (that is, when I could finally do several by Meso 2). Now, thanks to STS, after 12+ years of being the biggest push-up wimp, I can do a few sets of 10-15. I have to use dumbbells on the floor for my hands to hold onto though. It hurts my wrists to do them flat.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 06:57 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Maybe that's why Margaret Richard seems to prefer push-ups for her pec work. But my right elbow hates push-ups...the joint is kind of messed up from a very old incident. But I shall soldier on and do my push-ups, at least on my knees
Old 09-27-09, 08:18 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
Best wishes to your son, Sherry...he's joining a tough, but great team (and I do mean team!). Anyway if stricly body weight exercises are good enough for SEALS, then maybe I need to do more of them...like Kelly C-M's Body Training. And maybe Charlene Prickett's No Equipment Needed!!!
Thank you, Lydia! Of course, he has to pass/finish the training, but that is his goal!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 03:31 PM  
hotncmom

What's the rule on doing things like pushups every day? Is it thought of in the same way as weight lifting, where you are supposed to have rest days in between? After all, if you're in the military, you do pushups every day.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 09:47 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
What's the rule on doing things like pushups every day? Is it thought of in the same way as weight lifting, where you are supposed to have rest days in between? After all, if you're in the military, you do pushups every day.
IMO it is like so many other training rules. If you are used to it, you can do them regularly, but if you are just entering into the world of pushups, keep it down in the beginning to let your connective tissues build and adapt for the work. Your MUSCLES can be strong enough and yet have problems with elbows and shoulders due to "too much too soon" so once these areas are "trained" one can do them more often. Just like with anything else really.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:32 AM  
alisoncooks

Anyone able to point me to a good push-up tutorial?

Anytime I try to do one, I feel like my form isn't right, especially when it comes to hand placement...(how wide, etc)...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:51 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Anyone able to point me to a good push-up tutorial?

Anytime I try to do one, I feel like my form isn't right, especially when it comes to hand placement...(how wide, etc)...
http://www.stumptuous.com/mistressing-the-pullup

This one from earlier in the thread is great and points you to others.

ETA OK, duh, it is MONDAY. Sorry, for some reason I had PULL ups in my head!!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chin ups, chinups, pull-ups, push-ups