Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-09, 08:39 AM  
hotncmom

When chin-ups are being performed, does hand position make a difference in the muscles being worked? (Palms facing vs. palms away) I think palms facing works the biceps more but what about the other muscles?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 09:47 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

This is a very informative thread. I know the best arm muscles I've had came from doing yoga everyday which included lots of push ups. I also have a rowing machine, which, with the right resistance, does the pulling exercise...would that be enough for balance? I just can't motivate myself to do weight workouts lately and my upper body strength is terrible.

I've always been afraid to get a pull up bar for a doorway. I think because I've never been able to do a pull up in my life that I think it will just discourage me. Can anyone talk me into it?
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 10:28 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I've always been afraid to get a pull up bar for a doorway. I think because I've never been able to do a pull up in my life that I think it will just discourage me. Can anyone talk me into it?
If I feel I need to do pull-ups I always use my fluidity bar; if you don't have one they can be found for pretty cheap on craigslist.
Old 09-26-09, 11:07 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Sheepla, have you seen how to do an assisted pullup with a pullup bar? If you do those, you will get stronger and get some benefit.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 11:27 AM  
Janga

IMO it is totally possible to build an awesome body in all respects with bodyweight exercises only, pushups (even modified ones on the knees) and what I call "press ups" (on knees but with full leg contact with the ground) or Margaret Richards' "little pushups" (that's what I call them because I've only seen these demonstrated by her) where you are just on knees and barely dip the upper body as if you were going to do a pushup but don't go too far, just kind of pulsing) are among my favorite exercises and they work all areas of the upper body.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 11:30 AM  
Janga

I didn't know you could do pull-ups on a Fluidity Bar. I need to look at that; I can't picture how one would do that, it seems too short. I only do these on the rare occasions that I'd actually go to the gym instead of using my own workout room as I also would be afraid to use one of those door bars.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 12:35 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
When chin-ups are being performed, does hand position make a difference in the muscles being worked? (Palms facing vs. palms away) I think palms facing works the biceps more but what about the other muscles?
Yes, palms facing works all the same muscles as the pronated version plus adds biceps into. That's why most people are stronger when they use this position and can do more reps.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 12:45 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janga View Post
I didn't know you could do pull-ups on a Fluidity Bar. I need to look at that; I can't picture how one would do that, it seems too short.
I think we're talking assisted chin-ups here, as pictured here:

http://www.stumptuous.com/mistressing-the-pullup

(scroll down)

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 12:48 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Palms facing is technically a 'chin up" while palms away is a 'Pull up".
The biceps are worked a bit more with chin ups (which makes them a bit easier, because the biceps are helping more).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 03:24 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I read your article, Red. I subscribed. Great articles - all of them! I especially liked the one about not isolating muscles when you work them.
Thanks Joni! I really appreciate your kind words! I thought I would have more time and a lot more articles by now, but things went nuts at the office. Wish I could make money just doing some kind of Q&A and article and e-book writing! Wouldn't that be fun?

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chin ups, chinups, pull-ups, push-ups