Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-09, 03:52 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

I talk about this with clients and have even written an article concerning this in Functional Fitness. This endless isolated repping with a dumbbell is really NOT about fitness as much as aesthetics, you don't see the guys in boot camp sitting out in the field with dumbbells while the Sargent calls out reps do ya? Hell no, it is body weight baby!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 04:13 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

And by golly, those guys and gals have to be STRONG...all the good looks (aesthetics) in the world are useless in the missions they have to accomplish!!!
Old 09-25-09, 04:24 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I feel like the Barre workouts I am doing are fantabulous for my legs/butt/abs...and even my triceps...but I'm not feeling much in my arms.
Yeah, push-ups work the triceps and shoulders as well as the chest. Balance things out with some kind of pull -- rows, reverse push-ups, or pull-downs. Those will hit the mid and upper back as well as your biceps, especially if you use a supinated grip. Performing as many or more sets of pulling movements in addition to your push-ups will help keep your shoulder joint in balance.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 05:33 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Yeah, push-ups work the triceps and shoulders as well as the chest. Balance things out with some kind of pull -- rows, reverse push-ups, or pull-downs. Those will hit the mid and upper back as well as your biceps, especially if you use a supinated grip. Performing as many or more sets of pulling movements in addition to your push-ups will help keep your shoulder joint in balance.
Now how would pulls be done in a home setting? I can picture them w/ machines but I'm struggling to picture how I'd do them w/ free weights (I don't have any bands).

And what is a reverse push up?

Would pullups on my Fluidity bar (picking it up Sunday) be a good one?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 06:37 PM  
mamabug23

Smile

Quote:
I totally agree! Shoulder overuse injuries are common from folks who are too agressive with their training and forget to include "opposite" movements; in this case, the pulling motions. Form and proper rest is very important to protect the scapular joint.

Since you're working out at home, you might consider filming yourself working out (sounds weird, but you might learn something about your form!).
Old 09-25-09, 07:38 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Now how would pulls be done in a home setting? I can picture them w/ machines but I'm struggling to picture how I'd do them w/ free weights (I don't have any bands).
Any kind of row or pull-down will do: Bent-over barbell rows, seated rows (with bands), pull downs (with bands).

Quote:
AKA horizontal pull-ups: http://www.stumptuous.com/row (scroll down)

Quote:
Yes!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 07:40 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I read your article, Red. I subscribed. Great articles - all of them! I especially liked the one about not isolating muscles when you work them.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 09:05 PM  
alisoncooks

Thanks KarenP--that really helped a lot!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 09:12 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
ITA!
Even if you're just looking for 'good looking arms,' it's important to keep that balance. Otherwise you not only risk shoulder problems, but also can develope a forward slump (I've read posts by several people who developed an imbalance in the muscles around their shoulders, and shoulder problems from doing mainy Cathe weight workouts: in her earlier workouts--actually not that long ago--she tends to do too much chest compared to back).

A regimen of push-ups and chin-ups hits pretty much all the upper-body muscles, and you could very well just do that and keep in shape. (Military bootcamp was mentioned. I know for sure that along with push-ups, they do pull-ups/chin ups).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 09:13 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:

You can do pull-ups/chin up with a doorway bar, or pulldowns with resistance bands and a door attachement at the top of the door.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chin ups, chinups, pull-ups, push-ups