Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-09, 01:10 PM  
alisoncooks

Are pushups enough to build arm strength?

I'm sure this has been discussed so if you know of any threads, please feel free to point me in the right direction!

Question: My arms are SO weak...I've NEVER been able to do a full-blown push up (though I do tote around 2 30-pound cuties quite frequently.

I feel like the Barre workouts I am doing are fantabulous for my legs/butt/abs...and even my triceps...but I'm not feeling much in my arms. Would tacking on a pushup routine after my bar days be enough to build a decent amount of arm strength? I'm really NOT looking for a weight lifting program...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 01:48 PM  
bubbles76

Probably. A lady I know at work has arms like rocks and all she does is pushups, situps, and running. Straight up former military, so no frills for her. You may want to also include pull ups, dips, and other body weight exercises.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 01:48 PM  
westiemack

I'm no expert, but I remember reading here at VF that pushups also require a lot of core strength, not just arm strength. I have always assumed that's the main reason why they are such a challenge for me!

There was a thread sometime back about an '8 week pushup challenge' routine. It helped me. I know I've read that pushups are really great for you, overall, so I'd say they are a great thing to have as an add-on, if you don't want to do weights.

Kathy

Disclosure: I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, but I'm only in it for the discount!
westiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 01:55 PM  
herya

Here's a recent thread on pushups and arms:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=138228

For me, it was definitely yoga that helped - down dogs, chaturangas and planks. They all work arms but also total body strength.
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 02:30 PM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for the replies. I tried a few different searches and found some good threads to peruse!

I think I'm gonna go give a few a try....kiddos are napping/watching a movie, so I should be uninterrupted for a few minutes.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 02:46 PM  
fitsister

There are barre workouts that include push ups like Physique 57 and Kathy Smith's Total Body Lift (I'm almost sure on this one - hopefully some will chime in as well)

- Margo
fitsister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 02:54 PM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsister View Post
There are barre workouts that include push ups like Physique 57 and Kathy Smith's Total Body Lift (I'm almost sure on this one - hopefully some will chime in as well)
I confirm that Total Body Lift has pushups - 20 pushups (4 series x 5), either on your knees or on your toes, and tricep dips. Also some planks.
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 03:11 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

My son is training to go to BUDS, which is the bootcamp for the Navy Seals. All they do is strictly body weight exercises for the upper/lower body, and a lot of runnning, & swimming. I think you can be very fit, just doing this type of exercise.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 03:50 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I was on a Firm trip once, and met a woman who had fantastic arms. She said she had decent arms before, but she attributed her fantastic arms to push-ups.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 03:51 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
My son is training to go to BUDS, which is the bootcamp for the Navy Seals. All they do is strictly body weight exercises for the upper/lower body, and a lot of runnning, & swimming. I think you can be very fit, just doing this type of exercise.

Sherry
Best wishes to your son, Sherry...he's joining a tough, but great team (and I do mean team!). Anyway if stricly body weight exercises are good enough for SEALS, then maybe I need to do more of them...like Kelly C-M's Body Training. And maybe Charlene Prickett's No Equipment Needed!!!

Tags
chin ups, chinups, pull-ups, push-ups