Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 12-24-09, 06:26 PM  
jackier
VF Supporter

Question for you Barbara

I am a morning person and always have been. And I used to workout consistently in the morning. What I'm having a problem with are two things. One is since I'm in menopause, sometimes I don't sleep well. (That and teenage sons up and about at night.) If you don't sleep well, do you still workout? I've always read you should be well rested to workout effectively. So I think, I'll sleep a little more and do the workout later in the day, which may or may not happen. For me, it's ALWAYS better to work out in the morning, because I can accomplish more in the day. The other is I worry about getting a really good workout in so early. As I'm getting older (51), I find it takes longer for my body to *gear up* in the morning. Do you notice a difference as you age, or is it just what your body gets used to?

I too am impressed that you've been so consistent. I am consistent with my exercise, but when I exercise on any given day is whenever, and it affects the other things I need to do.

Thanks
jackier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 10:25 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackier View Post
I am a morning person and always have been. And I used to workout consistently in the morning. What I'm having a problem with are two things. One is since I'm in menopause, sometimes I don't sleep well. (That and teenage sons up and about at night.) If you don't sleep well, do you still workout? I've always read you should be well rested to workout effectively. So I think, I'll sleep a little more and do the workout later in the day, which may or may not happen. For me, it's ALWAYS better to work out in the morning, because I can accomplish more in the day. The other is I worry about getting a really good workout in so early. As I'm getting older (51), I find it takes longer for my body to *gear up* in the morning. Do you notice a difference as you age, or is it just what your body gets used to?

I too am impressed that you've been so consistent. I am consistent with my exercise, but when I exercise on any given day is whenever, and it affects the other things I need to do.

Thanks
Yes. I always do get up and workout. Even if I have been awake since 1:30 am. and unfortunately this happens, more often than I'd like. When it does, lately, I've been getting out of bed and doing P57 classic by 4 am, then going to the Y at my regular time of 6 am, swimming 2500 yards and running 2 miles. Yes, I am exhausted. I use the time between the end of P57 and leaving for the Y to go on the computer, have a cup of coffeen and some dry toast. I normally have nothing to eat or drink before going to the Y, but if I have had "one of those nights" I find I need to.
I work part time and if I am not working that day, I come home and go to sleep after my Y time. If I am working I am done by the afternoon, and I come home and go to sleep.

But even before I got laid off from my job of 34 years, I still did my regular routine.
I refuse to give in to this stuff. I always feel it worst the 2nd day so I make sure I go to bed early the next night.

I'm 57 and this started happening in perimenopause, a few years before menopause, which happened 5 years ago.

Barb
Old 12-25-09, 10:42 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:

Thanks
These issues are my issues now. I used to just get up and do Leslie no matter what. That was when I had four Leslie workouts and Turbo Jam. If I got sleep I would do TJ. Then I found VF and for some reason all the options are detrimental to my getting up. I just lay there and try to figure out what I am going to do and next thing you know, it is too late. I have tried planning ahead and deciding rotations/what I am going to do, but that doesn't work for me either.

I don't do new year's resolutions, but I do birthday promises. I have a December birthday and I make promises to take care of myself. My promise this year is I will get up no matter how little sleep I have had. I feel crappy when I don't sleep, so I can't imagine I would feel even crappier by working out when I am not sleeping anyway.
I have "discovered" barre and I have found that I can do that with little sleep. No jumping around, no worrying that I will misstep off the step or clunk myself in the head with a weight.
I can usually fall asleep but will wake up around 4:00. Now I have decided to just get up. I did it for years; I can do it again. 4:00 is **only** an hour earlier than I used to regularly get up.
I have even put my workout clothes in the basement so I can just go down there and dress and do it.
Of course, the plan is to start this tomorrow. We will see how it goes.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 09:38 AM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Renda - that's exactly why I do P57 when I wake up so early and can't go back to sleep!! Because I can do it in my PJs, I can do it half asleep because I know it so well, but still get a good workout, no jumping, no worries about dropping a weight or falling off a step! It is perfect for those stupid mornings. Of course I'd rather be asleep, but if I can't be, might as well do something productive.
Barb
Old 12-26-09, 01:41 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Yep, Barb, that's exactly it. I do Kathy Smith's Lift Your Body. My first (of many, I hope) barre workout. My basement is built in, but it has an 18-foot sliding glass door circa 1960 and let's just say it can get a bit cool down there. So it is like being thawed out from the night's (lack of) sleep and gradually warming up to the day as the workout evolves. It is really quite refreshing.

But plans went awry the first day of my getting up no matter what. As a reversal I wasn't able to fall asleep until 4:30 so I did nothing. But then slept until 9:00 and am feeling quite well considering and just getting ready to work out now.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 12-27-09, 08:37 PM  
jackier
VF Supporter

Thanks ladies. Since I don't do barre, I'm sure I have some other type of workout I could substitute for those mornings. And I can see where knowing the first workout will not require a whole lot of energy would be easier to do no matter what. I have the flexible warrior dvd which has three segments. And one of them, IIRC, is a get energized type workout to use before you run or cycle. So after the first, I will try the get up and workout, NO MATTER WHAT, and have my bad night dvd's lined up, just in case. Thanks again.

And maybe, I'll just have to try a barre workout.
jackier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 09:11 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
And maybe, I'll just have to try a barre workout.
I was surprised at how much I like them. Start with something relatively cheap like Kathy Smith's Lift Your Body. I would think it would be easily traded for and then gotten rid of just as easily if you don't like it.

No complicated terms, no complicated moves, nicely chaptered. I even like the warmup, and I rarely like warmups.

Good luck to you.

Was up early this morning bouncing on my new rebounder. That wasn't bad, either. But I had been up a little while doing real work before I went down so I wasn't as clumsy.

Words matter.

Old 05-08-14, 11:41 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Neccesity! If I don't get up early to do my workout, it probably won't get done. I usually do my workout at 5am. Have been doing this for years now.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flylady, morning exercise, motivation, workout time of day