Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-17, 03:18 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

A Barre3 Cautionary Note

Last year when Barre3 went to the multi-tiered subscription model, I upgraded my subscription to the one that included the weekly workouts - at the price of $300 annually. Sometime this spring, knowing I probably didn't want to renew, and not at that level if I did renew, I deleted my credit card info from their site. I thought that would prevent an automatic renewal in May. Nothing against Barre3, but I haven't been using them much in the last few months, and I thought that I would just save the money. Back in June, I even looked at my Barre3 account to see if they had processed a renewal in late May and nothing showed up in my account history.

Imagine my surprise this week when I got my credit card statement and the subscription had renewed in May - mind you, with a completely different credit card number for a card that I just activated in June. The original card I used last year at Barre3 had been compromised in some fraud scheme somewhere and a replacement card was sent in early June which I activated sometime after June 15th or so. How did they manage to pull that off? Even today they aren't showing a transaction in my account history after May of 2016. There was no email about an upcoming renewal or the fact that it had renewed either.

I just don't like that business model. In their defense, when I look at their newly designed website, it does say that it's an automatic renewal unless you cancel, but in my brain, I assumed that removing my credit card number cancelled it, but I guess not.

What do you all think?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 04:13 PM  
jusca

Sorry that happened to you. Many places require you to explicitly request a cancelation through writing, phone or an automated system. Removing a credit card doesn't mean cancellation.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 04:15 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Wow! How did they get your new card number? Very strange and if it was me, I would definitely be asking some questions. In the past, I have deleted my card number from a subscription account and didn't bother to officially cancel, but was never was charged for renewal.
Old 07-02-17, 04:16 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Sorry that happened to you. Many places require you to explicitly request a cancelation through writing, phone or an automated system. Removing a credit card doesn't mean cancellation.
It appears they charged Carol's NEW credit card with different number. How did they get it? That's disturbing.
Old 07-02-17, 04:19 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
It appears they charged Carol's NEW credit card with different number. How did they get it? That's disturbing.

I had an old card expire and received a new one. A purchase I made on installments smoothly charged the new card without me having to update the numbers.

The bank rerouted the charge according to this article...

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...dater-1275.php
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 04:20 PM  
CharM

It's not unusual for a different card number to be charged. B3 submitted the info to the cc company with the info she gave them, the cc company processed the payment under the new account.

jusca beat me to it

Quote:
There was no email about an upcoming renewal or the fact that it had renewed either.
Contact B3 to ask for a refund. I'm sure they can see that you haven't used the workouts after the renewal date, and I don't think it's too much to ask that they send a reminder at least a week in advance.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 04:32 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
I had an old card expire and received a new one. A purchase I made on installments smoothly charged the new card without me having to update the numbers.

The bank rerouted the charge according to this article...

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...dater-1275.php
I have my internet and garbage pick up on recurring payments. The charges go through every single time my card #s change.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 05:08 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I didn't know that and I don't like it at all.
Old 07-02-17, 05:14 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

It's weird, because i have had things like ADT (monthly security monitoring) and prescription refills not go through because the card changed - on this particular card, as a matter of fact. Sorry, but prescription refills should go through if Barre3 renewals go through.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 05:17 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
It's weird, because i have had things like ADT (monthly security monitoring) and prescription refills not go through because the card changed - on this particular card, as a matter of fact. Sorry, but prescription refills should go through if Barre3 renewals go through.

Carol
That was my experience too with several different payees. When my CC number changed, none of my re-curring payments would go through until I input my new number.

Tags
barre3