Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-14, 10:57 AM  
JulieIL

Wow- thanks for the head's up. I was also considering a set on ebay that was only $40- now I'm glad I didn't bite.

A while back I bought a P57 DVD that was new & sealed- but was a bootleg! It wouldn't play in my player, & when I looked carefully the DVD & cover art was off. I also unknowingly bought a bootleg Cathe years ago. I had an original to compare but was completely shocked at how good the fake was ( though you could tell if side by side).

Counterfeit items seem to be a major problem on ebay especially- & the bummer is that the duped buyer has to pay the return shipping & tracking. I just returned an obviously watered down hair product, back to the seller who will likely resell it...

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 11:24 AM  
PhyllisG

i purchased YW directly from Udaya and LMP directly from BB. Both often do not slide easily into the slots but catch on the cardboard.
My UY set came in a sturdy box with good quality paper for the calendar and the booklet. There is something written on the plastic but all I can make out is Ultimate Yogi whatever. My discs are OK--no scratches--but the box looked a little worn-- very little. I avoid ebay because of bootleg copies and very little recourse.

Last edited by PhyllisG; 02-09-14 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 11:45 AM  
catcrazy

Just checked and I had paid 45.00 for mine through Freedomroks on EBay. They had an excellent rating that I remember. Well that's my first and last eBay purchase. Now that I compare the two sets the one from eBay has different paper for the program and the box is a little different as well. I emailed Freedomroks, we will see if I get a response.
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 12:27 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I just checked our UY order on Amazon from last year, but it was sold through The Ultimate Yogi so it's legit. (Plus DH has used them countless times with no problems.)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 12:50 PM  
Becky

So doing a little further digging, I read the reviews for Shoestring Bandit. He had a 4.9 out of 60 votes. Most gave him five stars because the shipping was quick. (I believe I got mine in two days, also) One person said he purchased P90X at an amazing price and was happy that the DVDs were individually wrapped in their slots. Most interestingly though, I noticed that he was only selling on Amazon since August 1, 2013 and left very quickly at the first negative review stating she received a bootleg copy.

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows . ~ Buddha
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 05:29 PM  
alydinva

I now assume that when discs in sets come in individual sleeves (plastic or foam - I've seen both), that they are a bootlegged copy. These are sleeves outside of whatever "set packaging" is included. I have come to this conclusion based on Beachbody sets I've bought off eBay and I will no longer purchase from sellers who list items as new and have multiple copies to sell.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 05:54 PM  
TLB

Something that is helpful when determining if something is bootleg is a free software called Nero Disc Speed.

You can get information on copyright, region codes & number of layers.

It still won't guarantee that you have a bootleg, but the more information you have the better.

DVDs that are highly commercial - TV series, movies, etc should always be copyrighted & region coded. TV series (especially newer ones) are dual layered.

But there will be less commercial DVDs that won't fit this pattern. I've had Leslie DVDs (QVC set) ....that would appear bootleg....region code all (for example).

Physical appearance is sometimes a give-away too. More commerical discs should not have the title of the workout on the inner ring....again I have a QVC DVD that does have the title imprinted on the disc.

"Try for progress, not perfection" Chris Freytag
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 06:06 PM  
lila_says

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydinva View Post
I now assume that when discs in sets come in individual sleeves (plastic or foam - I've seen both), that they are a bootlegged copy. These are sleeves outside of whatever "set packaging" is included. I have come to this conclusion based on Beachbody sets I've bought off eBay and I will no longer purchase from sellers who list items as new and have multiple copies to sell.
Unfortunately that's not a failsafe method. I've ordered dvd sets from Mary (totalfitnessdvds.com) who we all know & love, & sometimes they have been individually sealed. I suspect various legit & fake dvds come both with & without plastic.
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 08:39 PM  
gmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
Just checked and I had paid 45.00 for mine through Freedomroks on EBay. They had an excellent rating that I remember. Well that's my first and last eBay purchase. Now that I compare the two sets the one from eBay has different paper for the program and the box is a little different as well. I emailed Freedomroks, we will see if I get a response.
I just checked and I also ordered by off of ebay from Freedomroks1978. Let me know if they respond!
Old 02-09-14, 10:21 PM  
catcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac View Post
I just checked and I also ordered by off of ebay from Freedomroks1978. Let me know if they respond!
Just got an email, they are trying to find my transaction, but at least they admit that they are aware of it and have stopped using that distributor. I will let you know what they say next.
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootleg, bootlegs, ultimate yogi