Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-16, 09:56 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliholli915 View Post

Or, maybe the lactic acid was released? That's an interesting theory. I could go for that because it seemed like my body was replenishing it again or something during my kb workout.
thankyou for getting it. I was afraid I was making absolutely no sense.
I'm excited hearing your progress! KB's are something I can experiment as long as I go light, so I love hearing this! Congratulations!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 10:19 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
...Yes, and the day I did the yoga was my rest day. It's rreeaallyy slow. So, I doubt I overexerted anything.

Aren't rest days supposed to be actual days of rest? That's the way I've always interpreted them. Sure, sometimes I do an easier than usual workout, but I don't count that as an actual rest day.

Yin yoga may not seem like much, but it is working your body. In a different way, but it's work.
Old 03-13-16, 10:36 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Dasha talks a lot about results and when I started, I didn't believe a single word. But, I knew that adding strength would help overall. So, I wasn't expecting anything but to get stronger and looked forward to the dance cardio to burn the fat. But, KBKB has cut more fat than anything else I've ever done. So, as long as you use proper form and challenge yourself with weight but don't overdo it, I think you'll see results. One more thing, I follow her Intermediate rotation and tack on additional cardio. I use Scorcher right now. But, I've bought everything except Scorcher 2.0 and Co-ed because I'm obsessed! Please keep us posted.

Could be.... But, I guess I thought after 24 hours, I'd be ready to go again.

Thank you! Yes, give it a try and don't let it intimidate you. I was very intimidated at first and didn't think it was my type of workout. I'm not really the Crossfit kinda girl. But, this is nothing like Crossfit. It's definitely it's own thing. The only thing I would do while you're waiting to start is check out videos on using proper form. I viewed this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQH...2yYwd2&index=6. I liked how accessible she made it seem. I also viewed A LOT by Lauren Brooks. You don't want to end up hurting yourself after recovering. So, making sure you know proper technique can really help you.

Yes, and the day I did the yoga was my rest day. It's rreeaallyy slow. So, I doubt I overexerted anything.

Or, maybe the lactic acid was released during yoga? That's an interesting theory. I could go for that because it seemed like my body was replenishing it again or something during my kb workout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Aren't rest days supposed to be actual days of rest? That's the way I've always interpreted them. Sure, sometimes I do an easier than usual workout, but I don't count that as an actual rest day.

Yin yoga may not seem like much, but it is working your body. In a different way, but it's work.
Everyone is different. I can't take full rest days or I end up feeling unwell. I do a lighter walk or something with my yoga 1 or 2 days a week and try to go a little harder on other days, if I don't keep my blood moving like that, I go backwards. If I were doing extremely intense workouts on a daily basis, i would atleast do a flexibility yoga session if nothing else on my rest day. (yin is pretty intense, so probably not that personally). I know there is sense and science to a full on rest day, but it doesn't work well for me.

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 03-13-16, 10:59 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Everyone is different. I can't take full rest days or I end up feeling unwell. ... I know there is sense and science to a full on rest day, but it doesn't work well for me.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I find it so easy to overdo it that I think I sometimes underestimate my needs just to avoid getting myself into trouble. Wish it weren't so hard to figure out what to do (or not do, LOL!).
Old 03-13-16, 11:03 PM  
Eibhinn

With only one occurrence it could be anything - you could be worn down, under the weather, didn't eat that well that day, coming down with a cold...

That said - I have ligament laxity and some hyper mobile joints and Yin Yoga is NOT GOOD for me.

I have chronic instability in my ankles due to ligament laxity and some other joints I have to be careful with to avoid hyperextension. As a result, certain tasks requiring stabilization will make me disproportionately tired because my body doesn't work very well on those tasks, so I exhaust tiny stabilizing muscles. For example, if I need to stand on the bus it takes so much effort to keep upright that I'm sore and exhausted for hours afterward.

Similarly, I definitely believe the whole story about Yin Yoga stretching connective tissue because my connective tissues are already too loose. When I do actual Yin Yoga, my body is weak afterward, because my already slightly dodgy joints are made even looser, requiring all of my muscles to work overtime to keep me upright.

I have no idea what your situation is, but I don't think Yin Yoga is for everyone.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 11:12 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I find it so easy to overdo it that I think I sometimes underestimate my needs just to avoid getting myself into trouble. Wish it weren't so hard to figure out what to do (or not do, LOL!).
I guess we just have to learn and experiment with our own bodies to see what we really need in terms of rest. No one article or whatever is gonna have the answer for everyone. i have chronic health issues and have to move daily- I can also take a nap whenever I want to. If I worked a full time job or had young-uns or even if my body was different, i would have completely different recovery needs. Just like people have different fitness abilties, I am sure they probably have different recovery requirements as well. (I a an ongoing personal experiment, lol) Good luck!

Old 03-13-16, 11:14 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
With only one occurrence it could be anything - you could be worn down, under the weather, didn't eat that well that day, coming down with a cold...

That said - I have ligament laxity and some hyper mobile joints and Yin Yoga is NOT GOOD for me.

I have chronic instability in my ankles due to ligament laxity and some other joints I have to be careful with to avoid hyperextension. As a result, certain tasks requiring stabilization will make me disproportionately tired because my body doesn't work very well on those tasks, so I exhaust tiny stabilizing muscles. For example, if I need to stand on the bus it takes so much effort to keep upright that I'm sore and exhausted for hours afterward.

Similarly, I definitely believe the whole story about Yin Yoga stretching connective tissue because my connective tissues are already too loose. When I do actual Yin Yoga, my body is weak afterward, because my already slightly dodgy joints are made even looser, requiring all of my muscles to work overtime to keep me upright.

I have no idea what your situation is, but I don't think Yin Yoga is for everyone.
this makes so much sense!!!!! I get so exhausted from little things. I am not hyperflexible (but very flexible in lower body), but do have very week ankles that give sometimes and just throw me over/trip me up/collapse, whatever you want to call it. Is that possibly similar? i have practiced balance work in yoga for over a year and it hasn't gotten better. (you can PM me if this isn't appropriate to ask here)

Old 03-14-16, 12:10 AM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Dasha talks a lot about results and when I started, I didn't believe a single word. But, I knew that adding strength would help overall. So, I wasn't expecting anything but to get stronger and looked forward to the dance cardio to burn the fat. But, KBKB has cut more fat than anything else I've ever done. So, as long as you use proper form and challenge yourself with weight but don't overdo it, I think you'll see results. One more thing, I follow her Intermediate rotation and tack on additional cardio. I use Scorcher right now. But, I've bought everything except Scorcher 2.0 and Co-ed because I'm obsessed!

Thank you! Yes, give it a try and don't let it intimidate you. I was very intimidated at first and didn't think it was my type of workout. I'm not really the Crossfit kinda girl. But, this is nothing like Crossfit. It's definitely it's own thing. The only thing I would do while you're waiting to start is check out videos on using proper form. I viewed this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQH...2yYwd2&index=6. I liked how accessible she made it seem. I also viewed A LOT by Lauren Brooks. You don't want to end up hurting yourself after recovering. So, making sure you know proper technique can really help you.

Holli,
Thanks so much for your input and tips!
Old 03-14-16, 02:54 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what is KBKB and who is the instructor? thanks.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 03:05 AM  
Alan

It might be that you're running low on glycogen and need to eat a little something before your kettlebell workouts.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good kettlebell form, kbkb, kettlebell, kettlebell kickboxing, yin yoga