Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-15, 03:34 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Best Beginner Kettlebell videos?

There is a much bigger selection of kettlebell workouts than when I was doing them. I had a hip injury years ago and stopped doing k-bell workouts. I traded or sold most of my k-bell videos.

What are the best beginner (OK, I'll say it, *easier*) kettlebell workouts out there?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 03:42 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I like Paul Katami's Ultimate Kettlebells for Beginners. Three 20 Minute workouts. Even the tutorial is a solid workout focusing on form.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 03:43 PM  
dela

Art of Strength Providence for sure. I feel it works for all levels as long as you have some basics on proper technique, which you do.

I would say the Body Series by Dasha (Kettlebell Kickboxing) is on the easier side. I use that series when I need to get back into workouts, then once they get boring I know it's time to move on. And come to think of it, this might be a good thing for me to revisit again now.

Mark DeGrasse Fitness is Function is maybe not so much easy as much as really well instructed and should fit the bill, and they don't move fast from what I recall. Easier or harder based on the weight you use. Also, last I checked on onnit.com the dvd was around 6 bucks.

ETA: Just checked onnit, they only have the download now for $5.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 06:22 AM  
bex

I definitely second the recommendation for the Fitness is Function KB workouts. I'm just coming back to exercise after practically a year off (intense new job, good money but it ate my life) and they're exactly what I need right now.

Also, Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell is good because it's quite slow and made up of 3 circuits. I was recovering from a bout of food poisoning but really wanted to get back in the gym - so I just did the first one - and then felt great about myself because at least I'd done *something*.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 06:42 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

How about Lauren Brooks' DVD: Shut Up and Train? 6 15 minute or so workouts.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 08:21 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I don't think you can go wrong with any Lauren Brooks DVD, but Volume 1 is a great strength/conditioning DVD for beginners. This DVD uses timed sets. She has a tutorial section and a shorter, 12 minute workout as well as the full 40 minute one. If you're looking specifically for strength training then I'd recommend Lauren's Kettlebell Body. This DVD has 3 workouts on it, each around 15-20 minutes and it uses low reps and a ladder format. This DVD has really grown on me and is very challenging if you use a heavy kettlebell. There is some conditioning work in these, but strength is the focus. I like that Lauren doesn't rep you to death and isn't too perky. Her workouts are all filmed outdoors which is a huge plus.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 08:57 AM  
gladgirl

Andrea DuCane has one for Boomers. Slow, deliberate, with modifications.
If I can find mine, I would loan it to you, should you want to try it.
Here is a short clip...it is NOT one you would use for a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmb6hqPD-E
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 11:41 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Andrea DuCane has one for Boomers. Slow, deliberate, with modifications.
If I can find mine, I would loan it to you, should you want to try it.
Here is a short clip...it is NOT one you would use for a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmb6hqPD-E
LOL, I already ordered the Boomer one. I saw the clip and it looked pretty good. I really appreciate the offer of a loan, thank you.

BTW, I always mention this in threads about Andrea DuCane. She used to be the make-up artist on the old Mystery Science Theater 3000 shows.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-18-15, 02:26 PM  
Eibhinn

Unfortunately, I've yet to find a single, perfect choice for beginners that I would recommend without any caveats. That said, some potential options:

Lauren Brooks' new DVD Shut Up and Train is a great choice for newbies since the workouts are short, progressive, offer modifications, and have more attention to form/instruction than most kettlebell workouts. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone choice because it doesn't have a warm-up/cool down, or a tutorial with more detailed instruction.

Her Kettlebell Body has a good tutorial, but the actual workouts are probably too difficult for a beginner. They'd be a good step-up after Shut Up and Train, however, and have nicely thought out warm-ups.

AOS Kettlebell Clinic is often recommended for instruction, and it has short, adaptable (although not terribly exciting) workouts probably appropriate for a beginner (although with more difficult exercises like Turkish get-ups) and instruction on form. That said, most of the RKC and Strong First trainers have moved on and adopted somewhat different technique than shown in AOS Clinic, changes that I'd say are an improvement. So it's not the most up-to-date technique, although no major problems.

Lots of people find the Skogg System an excellent choice for beginners. The tutorial instruction is excellent, and the workouts are progressive. But not all beginners are going to be able to do snatches and high pulls safely, and all of the workouts have them. Lots of people have big problems supporting Skogg due to his past lies about being a Seal/Special Ops. I found the program to be too boring to follow overall. The tutorial is great, but it's not worth buying the whole system just to get it.

An online option, again missing a proper tutorial, is a whole series of slow, not exciting, progressive kettlebell and bodyweight workouts from a guy who calls his workouts "Biomechnically Fit" The guy's form is not amazing, but I also don't think he has you doing anything that you're likely to hurt yourself, and I like them because they're slow and deliberately paced, and actually at a beginner level (versus something like the Zcut "beginner" workouts).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...T3PxaUYZSSBLaK
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 03:29 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

What NOT to do...

A link to this kettlebell instructional video was posted in a article on what NOT to do with kettlebells. It's worse than Jillian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Y3vmrY-Dc

Oowwwiiieee!!!

POSTURE CHECK!

Tags
bad kettlebell form, kettlebell, kettlebell beginners, ultimate kettlebell