Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-18, 10:43 AM  
Sharaz

Kim Kardashian new PT Melissa Alcantara

So Kim is now Lifting I am glad she decided to take this training approach. Seems Kim is very dedicated to fitness and makes it a priority.

Disclaimer: I don’t follow her or watch her TV show, this video showed up in my feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XicgztXktv0

Her trainer Melissa got back in shape after giving birth with INSANITY and losing 40 pounds WOW!! I lost 16 in 60 days. But she explained that she was 70 pounds overweight, so is common to lose more. Insanity got me back in the game 7 years ago and it has a special place in my heart

Afterwards, Melissa competed in bodybuilding in the figure category.

Alcantara: A lot of our sessions are at 6 a.m. I wake up at 4. So, we train about five, six days a week. It ranges from an hour to an hour and a half. We do a lot of squats, deadlifts, chest press, overhead press, a ton, a ton of sprints. We do pull-ups, dips, but I would say that 85% of our training is weight training. You have to put the work in. You have to be intense, you have to struggle with every rep and feel it. It doesn't mean that you're gonna be Arnold and get huge

Alcantara: In the beginning, you know, I was sitting on my couch. I had gained 70 pounds with my daughter and I saw this infomercial for Insanity, which is a home workout program. And I saw these people's transformations. And I packed up all my food, I never cheated, only drank water, never missed a workout and 60 days later, I was 40 pounds lighter. I decided I wanted to do a bodybuilding competition in December of 2015. I won first place in Miss Figure and Miss Physique and that's when Kim contacted me. So, she saw my transformation picture on Instagram. She was like scrolling through Instagram at 4 o'clock in the morning and she was like, "Wow, this woman, she's a Mom. She lives a regular life. Look at how she changed her life." She was looking for something that was sustainable. She didn't want to just lose weight fast and then you know, gain it again. It's a lifestyle

I had no expectations of becoming a celebrity trainer. I'm not thinking, "Oh yeah, I'm going to train Oprah tomorrow." I just hope that they get the results they're looking for. And every time she sees a new muscle growing or new lines, new definition —

Kardashian: Do you guys see my muscles?

Alcantara: The look on her face just makes me like super excited for her, because I know exactly what that feels like.

Melissa's Webpage
https://fitgurlmel.com/

I’m going to follow her. She looks fabulous! Not buying her book for now… I think I have similar stuff already and my fitness plan is set up for a while.
Old 12-16-18, 03:14 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting this. I don't follow her or watch her show at all, but something popped up on my YouTube sidebar with her and she looks great, so I wondered what workouts she was doing!

ETA: I feel like my body type is very similar to hers, so I like seeing what gives her results versus some other celebrities with a different build.
Old 12-16-18, 06:56 PM  
Sharaz

Hi Stephanie! Thanks for asking, I feel I can talk about this stuff with you

I read all the articles featuring Melissa. She talks all about her training style which is the one she uses for Kim. Basically Kim is training like a bodybuilder more so Bikini or Figure fitness model. Lifting, cardio and nutrition with a specific aesthetic results. Performance wise is good too because these girls are strong and athletic.

I paused the video and read Kim’s Instagram post. She said Melissa changed her body for the better (more firm, less cellulite) in a year. She refer to Melissa as her bodybuilder trainer LOL I assume is the first time she tried this approach, the bodybuilding lifestyle. I also relate to Kim since I’m a big butt girl. My waist is not as smaller than her, but the hip, waist, bust ratio match an hourglass figure. Hips and shoulders about the same width. Kim is slim but had fairly amount of body fat. Her trouble zone is LB. She also mentioned triceps in one interview. IMHO as she age if she don’t build muscle will look softer and softer with more cellulite. My legs are muscle-ly and even if I gain weight cellulite is minimal. I consider this the result of tights and butt muscles. Melissa on the other hand is a ruler body type. Her UB gained more muscle than LB. She is looking to increase size on her legs. I guess both training styles are quiet similar with small differences. I think for Kim body type more cardio is needed. They follow flexible dieting to achieve body composition goals. You can search and found more info about it.

Kim’s Training
1 Leg Day to build muscle (moderate reps)
1 Leg Day to shape (high reps)
UB divided in 2 days
1 full core/abs day (I plan to use my Gymabstics workouts)
1 HIIT From what I read appears to be a full body circuit CrossFit style including sprints. This can be replaced with a circuit or HIIT type workout that elevate the HR well.
Rest Day

Melissa emphasizes intensity and lifting heavy for the specific rep range.

Melissa mentions that Low Intensity cardio is included. I assume this is done for 20-30 after lifting. Bodybuilders usually do this early morning on a fasting state or after training. Kim is working at 6AM so that’s the reason of my assumption. This cardio is more of a strategy to burn fat. I have read studies about this topic. I have done it myself. We burn carbs pretty much the first 30 - 45 mins of the workout. After that is fat. We are speaking about looking ripped by burning fat cells not loosing weight. By cutting a workout at 30 mins or doing a stand along HIIT cardio session without following by LISS the fat cells released return back to the body. In an article she mentions Low Intensity Interval Training (LIIT) which can be anything non-HIIT avoiding working at Max capacity. For example walking on the treadmill and changing incline levels.

I have a rotation set up using STS. Just need to sit down and put it on paper. For each phase and specific 2nd Leg Day is matched as follows:

STS Endurance Legs - Legs Power
STS Hypertrophy Legs - Legs Endurance
STS Strength Legs - Legs Hypertrophy

Performing hip trusts instead of front squats in all the STS LB workouts.

I did not downloaded Melissa’s book. The above is my assessment from Melissa’s interviews and my past readings and workouts routines HTH
Old 12-16-18, 11:04 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

This looks really interesting to me. A few years ago I got my best aesthetic results using STS. Please let me know if you get the rotation figured out. I would love to see it.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-18, 11:52 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
This looks really interesting to me. A few years ago I got my best aesthetic results using STS. Please let me know if you get the rotation figured out. I would love to see it.

~Beth
Out of the myriad of programs that I have done in my life time, STS gave me the best strength and aesthetic results by far. I did do the 1 rep max and follow the strength program to the detail though. I did not do the cardio dvds.

Honorable mentions to Edge Booty Extreme, P90X (1&2) and Body Beast. Sometimes I'm really in the mood to do certain programs and I usually let that win over other goals but I make sure to get STS in annually or so. Since most of my results come by the end of the second meso, I have more recently been guilty of shortening the program to a 60 day commitment.
Old 12-17-18, 01:27 PM  
Sharaz

Of course I will let you know about the rotation set up. I have plenty of time off soon and will be putting it together. Then once I return in Jan. I知 thinking of setting up a challenge for everyone interested in committing to STS for 3 1/2 months. Maybe Beth and Taiga would like to join Accountability for me also since I get bore easily. The good thing is rotating the rest of the workouts each month will keep boredom at bay.

I got great results with Body Beast. As long my nutrition is on point I got results with any lifting program. Here there will be a full day for Abs which is new to me. I値l experiment and see if there is a difference in definition once BF is on point. I知 in a maintenance state muscle wise so I eat accordingly and adjust by adding more cardio or eating less if I知 gaining weight. I weigh myself weekly with BB to keep on check.

Someone wanting more muscle may need to eat more. Here a natural butt bulking transformation:

From 119 to 143
https://youtu.be/x80VyB1hmpE

Today I did not find her YT channel but she has one. She said she struggled eating more but did it. Lot of Chipotle to reach her calorie goal. One of my favorites places LOL

With BB I only walked as cardio after lifting. Not everyday if I remember correctly. I like my cardio for cardiovascular and mental health. But while doing heavy lifting rotations, I don稚 go overboard. I have more cardio in during my circuit rotations. I think is good to take breaks from the intensity of heavy lifting and change routines.

I think EBE2 after STS is a good match to lean out. The last Mesocycle is slower due to low reps and longer rest periods. Less calories will be burned.

I知 off today running errands so more time to chat
Old 12-17-18, 01:50 PM  
rhbrand

Heck, I'd be in for a check in for STS. I've never done the entire program together, and I want to.
Old 12-17-18, 03:45 PM  
Sharaz

Good! I can’t commit to a full check in now but a challenge is doable to set goals and track progress together. The plan is start in Feb. so more time to prepare. I need to condition myself a bit after returning from vacation. So the 1st month of the year will be pre-STS training. Keep you posted.
Old 12-17-18, 05:22 PM  
rhbrand

That gives me time to play with Cathe's new set, provided they are delivered before Feb lol.
Old 12-19-18, 12:20 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
Of course I will let you know about the rotation set up. I have plenty of time off soon and will be putting it together. Then once I return in Jan. I知 thinking of setting up a challenge for everyone interested in committing to STS for 3 1/2 months. Maybe Beth and Taiga would like to join .....
i'm still waffling!!My problem is that I love my collection of programs I'm about due for an STS rotation but I'm really enjoying my reformer workouts right now. And my heavy bag and suspension trainer keep calling to me. I miss P90X2 and EBE2 and I haven't visited with my kettlebells and Anthony/Steve Cotter in a while. I run my fingers over the library and they all say "choose me" lol If I'm away from a program too long, I can miss instructors like long lost friends

Tags
kim kardashian, melissa alcantara