Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-14, 08:58 PM  
sunday

I don't write reviews, nor do I read them on VF. I will read threads about workouts and that's about it. Since I am also nearly all streaming any more, I rely even less on reviews.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 09:26 PM  
ellaenchanted

I prefer searching for threads on the workout or instructor. I find the discussions have better information. It's also nice to see threads from different time period to see how opinions have changes or not.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 09:40 PM  
TinierTina

Me too even though I have to search back. Just joined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
I prefer searching for threads on the workout or instructor. I find the discussions have better information. It's also nice to see threads from different time period to see how opinions have changes or not.
It is interesting, seeing the trends I missed when I was extremely low-tech (not that I could afford live classes or anything like that--too much... although it is interesting that a demanding marriage at the time, had got me started on the self-styled workout path...); and with a lot of people more mobile and/or higher streaming-speed than I going online streaming, I like to know there are resources for the dvd user for whatever reason ...

Though it would be nice to have to be a dvd user because I was on a yacht in the Caribbean, and not because I am in my situation right now ...

Last edited by TinierTina; 09-14-14 at 09:52 PM. Reason: more notes
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 11:47 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
As streaming becomes more mainstream in home fitness, I am less reliant on reviews. I have almost stopped buying DVDs. Streaming sites have such a large library of content, I find it more convenient to read comments within the site, under each workout left by others who use the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I don't write reviews, nor do I read them on VF. I will read threads about workouts and that's about it. Since I am also nearly all streaming any more, I rely even less on reviews.
I'm finding this to be the case with me too, although I do appreciate all of the hard work that goes into reviews, behind the scenes. I always search the General Discussion forum when I'm researching something new. I usually don't even think about checking the reviews section, sadly (Plus, I kind of like reading the anticipation that people have before they get their new dvd, and then the excitement/disappointment when they finally try it. It's kind of like a vidiot's soap opera, ha ha!)

I'm curious, since streaming is the new thing now, do we have a section where we could review streaming sites? It would be too difficult to review individual workouts, since some sites literally have thousands of videos, but I would find it interesting to read other's opinions of a streaming site in general. (Or maybe this has already been done, and I don't know about it) I would definitely try to add my two cents to something like that. But for me to post a review on a dvd - since I usually don't do the same workout over and over again - I feel like it may not be a fair impression, as opposed to someone who really puts it to the test.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 06:28 AM  
bubbles76

I am one that has not gone to streaming, and I would bet that a lot of VFers haven't. At least not exclusively. Writing a review of a workout is fun! It doesn't have to be a lot of words or so full of details that you feel like you're planning the invasion of Normandy. Just get out your overall impressions.

Just so anyone thinks that it's not being used, I use the Reviews section regularly. It's the first place I check when I'm deciding on a trade or to buy a new workout. Then I look for clips. Then I check the General Discussion, but as was mentioned upthread, it can be hit or miss to check the GD forum. Not only is the search feature iffy (and people still do not tag threads), but you have to wade through a bunch of threads that don't include reviews at all. Just a lot of "here is a new workout by X instructor" and "my order finally shipped!" and "instructor X is filming again". But rarely "i liked the workout and this is why".
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 06:46 AM  
sherry7899

I use the review section quite often. I don't use streaming workouts, unless you tube counts

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 07:16 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I am one that has not gone to streaming, and I would bet that a lot of VFers haven't. At least not exclusively. Writing a review of a workout is fun! It doesn't have to be a lot of words or so full of details that you feel like you're planning the invasion of Normandy. Just get out your overall impressions.

Just so anyone thinks that it's not being used, I use the Reviews section regularly. It's the first place I check when I'm deciding on a trade or to buy a new workout. Then I look for clips. Then I check the General Discussion, but as was mentioned upthread, it can be hit or miss to check the GD forum. Not only is the search feature iffy (and people still do not tag threads), but you have to wade through a bunch of threads that don't include reviews at all. Just a lot of "here is a new workout by X instructor" and "my order finally shipped!" and "instructor X is filming again". But rarely "i liked the workout and this is why".
Yes, exactly! And I'm not streaming either--nor do I expect to in the near future.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 08:05 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Here is a good example of the problems search GD. I just tried to do a tag search for "zip trainer," as I am interested in those Firm workouts. ONE thread came up, and it wasn't reviews--it was a ranking of Firm systems (and ironically, Zip Trainer wasn't even included!). I can't do a general search for "zip" because it is a 3-letter word, and VF doesn't accept those. I can't search for "firm" because it is too common, and I can't search by instructor because 1) I don't know who the instructors are for these workouts, and 2) even if I did, multiple unrelated threads are likely to come up (or none--people don't generally talk about Firms by instructor).

Now, if someone had done a review of the zip trainer system and added it to the reviews section, it would be so easy to find! Instead, I have to resort to reading reviews on Amazon, which I think are less valuable than VFer opinions.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 08:27 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
I'm curious, since streaming is the new thing now, do we have a section where we could review streaming sites? It would be too difficult to review individual workouts, since some sites literally have thousands of videos, but I would find it interesting to read other's opinions of a streaming site in general. (Or maybe this has already been done, and I don't know about it) I would definitely try to add my two cents to something like that.
Answered my own question - http://<b>http://www.videofitness.co....php?id=35</b>

Looks like there is a very small section for streaming reviews, but there's only been 1 review submitted. When I get time I may add my reviews for some of these For those of us who do use streaming, maybe it will be helpful.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 08:37 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Just so anyone thinks that it's not being used, I use the Reviews section regularly. It's the first place I check when I'm deciding on a trade or to buy a new workout. Then I look for clips. Then I check the General Discussion...
We're fitness twins, this is exactly what I do. And Beth/Toaster, at least half the time when I'm reading reviews for a particular workout, there's one of yours posted. THANK YOU for being so active about writing reviews!

Tags
reviews, submitting reviews, vf reviews