Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-13, 10:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Mamaste, I think it's just great that you plan to write reviews! I wish more people would; I often see people say that they don't because they think that they can't write well/don't have much to say, and I always find that sad. Having a variety of opinions is what is most helpful and important!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 07:38 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Mamaste, I think it's just great that you plan to write reviews! I wish more people would; I often see people say that they don't because they think that they can't write well/don't have much to say, and I always find that sad. Having a variety of opinions is what is most helpful and important!
Yup, this. I've had people tell me that they don't write reviews because they don't have time/don't want to/can't write reviews as long or detailed as mine. And my answer is always, "So?" I'm a really, really wordy person and I'm sure some people hate to slog through longer reviews.

As far as what to put in:

I find it helpful to have some sort of context with which to evaluate what is said. So, for example, saying what level of an exerciser you are can be helpful if you are saying the workout is too easy or too hard. Or, if you absolutely HATE choreography, that might help me in analyzing whether the choreography in the workout is too hard for me.

It is nice to have some idea of what the workout is.

Your opinion about the workout - whatever you found significant enough to report on. It doesn't have to include opinions about every aspect of the workout.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 08:49 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Yup, this. I've had people tell me that they don't write reviews because they don't have time/don't want to/can't write reviews as long or detailed as mine. And my answer is always, "So?" I'm a really, really wordy person and I'm sure some people hate to slog through longer reviews.
Same here. I do breakdowns, but as KarenJo noted above, not everyone needs to do breakdowns! Just some quick impressions of what you liked/didn't like can be extremely helpful. As others have mentioned, it is always useful to include your own exercise level plus a comparison to what you DO like and/or other things you own so that the reader can get a sense as to whether her level/tastes might be similar to yours.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 09:21 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

one peeve of mine - some reviewers in the past wrote the instructor's name and/or video title incorrect and it shows up separately from the other reviews of the same video!
It was ME! I totally misspelled Budig as Buding. It was 3 o'clock in the morning!
Old 06-21-13, 12:07 PM  
mamaste

Beth and Laura, thank you for the encouragement.
Old 06-21-13, 01:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
It was ME! I totally misspelled Budig as Buding. It was 3 o'clock in the morning!
no, sweetie, it wasn't you & that wasn't the one!!!

i don't want to embarrass the people by identifying the ones i saw! and it was more than a few perpetrators!

they were some old ones that people had posted. i thought of posting a "review" in those particular ones saying "i think the reviewer was ACTUALLY reviewing XYZ video by ABC instructor, and not XWhyZ video by ABSee instructor."

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 03:05 PM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
no, sweetie, it wasn't you & that wasn't the one!!!

i don't want to embarrass the people by identifying the ones i saw! and it was more than a few perpetrators!

they were some old ones that people had posted. i thought of posting a "review" in those particular ones saying "i think the reviewer was ACTUALLY reviewing XYZ video by ABC instructor, and not XWhyZ video by ABSee instructor."
Tee-hee.
Old 06-22-13, 12:30 PM  
beatchica

Write them and we will love them!
I think all VF reviews, regardless of if they are short, long, detailed, are always useful, helpful and appreciated.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews