Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 03-14-09, 02:30 PM  
Juliekins
VF Supporter

Question Ryka Core Strength Trainers -- thoughts?

The toothpaste is sort of already out of the tube on this one, because I ordered a pair of these shoes this morning. I got them from Zappos, though, so at least they'll be easy to return if I don't care for them.

They're the first Rykas cross trainers/studio shoes I've seen in years that I didn't immediately recoil in horror* because of the styling. I'm replacing a pair of Intensity XT3s with them. My husband's reaction to the XT3s was "if those didn't have laces they'd look like Viper pilot (BSG fighter jet) boots." I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Have you worn them? I saw them advertised in Shape, I think. I know Kelly Ripa endorses them, but...whatever. Do any of you all like them? Hate them? Indifferent?

* Okay, I'm exaggerating, but seriously. What is going on with their styling? It's either boring boring BORING or criminally ugly.
Juliekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 08:50 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I just ordered this pair from fogdog.com with a 20% off coupon code? My full order from fogdom.com came to $55.99 with the coupon (couponb.com). I actually like the styling of Rykas but then I'm used to them. Sorry I can't comment on these shoes, but this is the first time I've ordered this style. I'm a little concerned now about the shoe containing so much mesh. Someone mentioned in a review that they're great for summer, but with such permeability, they will probably not be good for colder weather. Fogdog.com said crosstrainers with more mesh do not provide as much stability either but I can always return them if I'm not happy with them as fogdog.com provides free shipping either way, too.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 11:56 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Juliekins - I like the look of those XT3's in black... sharp!
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 09:49 PM  
Juliekins
VF Supporter

@Gibbee I agree--I am always so torn about black shoes, though! Even though I only work out at home I feel like they look silly on me.

@Sharon some of my problem with the Ryka styling is how they'll look with other clothing. I like to transition my workout shoes that are no longer suitable for exercise to everyday shoes, and some of the Rykas (esp. mid and high top) don't do that well enough to suit me. Then there are things like the Studio D Mid. Those really make me scratch my head! It is just my taste, though. I'm sure there are people that make them work.

If I don't like these shoes (they'll be here tomorrow, yay) I will probably replace them with another pair of XT3s. We'll see.
Old 03-15-09, 10:50 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Double post.
Old 03-15-09, 10:51 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Juliekins, I do the same thing with my shoes. I don't just wear my Rykas with workout gear - they're also my main footwear with everyday clothes since I don't own a car and walk a lot.

If I don't like the shoes, I may get the XTS in black. I don't go for the mid or high shoes either. Sierratradingpost.com had a pair I liked better but they didn't have my size left.
Old 03-16-09, 09:07 PM  
Juliekins
VF Supporter

And the verdict is...ugh! They are very, VERY shiny, but more than that the toebox is...short or something. Vertically, not horizontally. Length-wise they are fine but they rub the tops of my toes. I put the XT3s on for comparison and they don't do that, so it must be the design of the shoes.

SO glad I bought them from Zappos. Holabird has them for $10 less but their return policies are not terribly customer-friendly.
Old 03-17-09, 08:49 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Oh, no! Well, luckily Fogdog has a free return policy also.
Old 03-18-09, 04:22 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Well, my pair arrived today. The light lavender is very shiny to the point where it looks more like silver, but I see a lot of shoes with this look at the gym. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the light blue. The width at the toes is a little more tight than usual, but loosening the laces will probably fix the matter. Overall though the shoes are very comfortable and more lightweight than previous pairs without sacrificing cushiness. I'll be keeping them.
Old 03-19-09, 10:21 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Juliekins, have you used the Intensity XT3s for cardio with twisty moves such as step or floor aerobics?

Thanks!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ryka, shoes