Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-19, 03:54 PM  
Gams

VF scolding is nothing compared to a guinea pig site I used to post on - those women were brutal.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 04:30 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I don't like "spiritual" talk in workouts. I'm working on my body, not my spirit. I have no idea how I'm supposed to "open my heart center" or "melt into the mat". I'd rather get more specific instructions of what I'm supposed to do and how that is supposed to feel.
Talk about things that aren't relevant to the workout, like birds flying around in Tracey Mallett's garden or a donkey that I can't see in Elise Joan's garden.

Finally, I find animals very annoying in exercise videos, especially when the instructors acknowledge their presence and talk about them or when they make noises. I don't care about your dog, your cat or your pet rat. I'm working out alone and have limited time to get this workout in, so please, lock that animal out of the room while you teach me!
I don't mind spiritual talk, though I agree more detailed instructions would be better. Is there a video with a pet rat? The only pet I've seen is Peanut in Jessica's YouTube channel (who I like seeing!). I like seeing pets, though I worry they'll be stepped on or tripped over.

I do find some instructor comments annoying or distracting, but I don't think I've been bothered to the point of not doing a workout. I remember some people being bothered by comments in the Butt Bible workouts and in Jillian's Ripped in 30- both workouts I enjoy.

I exercise in the basement. I really only tend to avoid certain workouts if I want to workout upstairs and someone else might come in. I tend to avoid workouts with spiritual talk, revealing clothing, or talk about getting a hot/bikini body.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 04:49 PM  
Calistro

Please excuse me if I have not read all of this thread. I did skim through a lot of the comments though.

I remember when the insanity workout trailer came out and I was excited about it. I remember watching the trailer and my heart sank because I realised that I was not going to be one of the people who would be able t do it because of my bad knee.
However when I got further on into watching the clip and I heard Shaun T speak. I got angry when he said

"Insanity is not for everybody, it's not for a person who is lazy, it is not for a person who finds excuses, only those people who want to take their body to peak physical condition".

I wanted to scream at him and say is that your client category, people who are lazy, make excuses or who are ready for peak physical fitness?

I am not lazy, how dare you narrow it down to those three groups and make sweeping generalizations! I HAVE BAD KNEES.

Realistically I know he cannot be talking to me, but the comment still erks me.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 05:12 PM  
lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I love you Jessica Smith, but ‘a couple more’ is 2 - not 4 or 8.
Ha ha! My thoughts too.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:08 PM  
Hedgehog

I cringe over some of Pauline 's comments in Butt Bible, especially the ones about older people in the gym (I forget the specifics) and some od her comments are pretty insulting. I just turn it to low volume and roll my eyes but, I am super careful about my kids hearing them and tend not to use it when they are hanging out in the weight room with me.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 08:00 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

That must be pretty bad if the children shouldn’t listen. I do t k ow this lady

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 08:10 AM  
Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
That must be pretty bad if the children shouldn’t listen. I do t k ow this lady
It's mostly comments about cellulite being gross or not wanting to have to look at it. I don't have the video here and forget the exact wording but, it's negative comments that I would prefer my children not hear/negative body image stuff basically.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 12:08 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Awww topfitmama, I actually disagree with all you wrote lol! I love all that stuff, especially the pets and random distractions the instructors comment on while working out.
I like to do my workouts over and over again. Perhaps that's why such comments bug me so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Ruth, I am glad to see you posting again
Thank you! I don't post very often...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I love kundalini yoga, so the "woo woo" spiritual talk is fine to me.
I get that, and I actually expect spiritual talk in a yoga video (which I very, very seldom do). I don't expect spiritual talk in other fitness videos, like ballet or pilates, but some instructors (like Jennifer Galardi and Elise Joan) who practice and teach yoga and one of the other disciplines tend to use yoga language in their ballet and pilates videos. That annoys me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
What bothers one person can be a deal breaker for another.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Is there a video with a pet rat? The only pet I've seen is Peanut in Jessica's YouTube channel (who I like seeing!). I like seeing pets, though I worry they'll be stepped on or tripped over.
Not that I can recall I just threw it in there to make the point... sorry! Peanut is actually not very disruptive, unlike one of Tracey Mallett's dogs who started barking during one of her more recent youtube videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
It's mostly comments about cellulite being gross or not wanting to have to look at it. I don't have the video here and forget the exact wording but, it's negative comments that I would prefer my children not hear/negative body image stuff basically.
My then 7 or 8 year-old son walked in on me doing P57 classic during the mat section towards the end. He asked me why the instructor kept "singing" and asked what "no more saddlebags. huh.huh.huh" meant. We both got to laughing so hard at Tanya, I couldn't finish the workout! After that, we referred to the workout as the "no more saddlebags" workout, and Tanya Becker was the funny singing instructor.
I haven't done that one in years....

Just for clarity... I think a lot of animals are cute and I think it's wonderful that some people love animals so much. I'm just not a pet person, but I respect that other people are.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 01:20 PM  
CharM

I don't know if it's from a dvd, but Misty Tripoli has a dance segment on YouTube where she says, "What you were born with [indicates her breasts], should be moving." ugh. I have small boobs! They don't move! Well, they move, but it will not be too noticeable. Leave our female body parts out of it. I don't know if she says your butt should jiggle, but fyi, there's not much movement there, either.

Other than that, it's not specific comments that keep me away from a workout, but instructions like saying "listen up" over and over, that bother me enough to not want to do a workout. Don't get me started on "four". It's the only number Stephanie Huckabee knows. Or KCM, "four, three", in one workout that I got rid of.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 01:31 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Lol Char, you made me laugh. It’s good to laugh every day. You make me want to hit to share the wealth forum. I know I don’t like them so what am I holding on to them for? (S)

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves