Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-14, 07:45 PM  
donnamp

Tirxoo - thanks for mentioning that I have spiraly curls, my hair grows fast, and you're right, mine would look really funky w/ the top being curly and the bottom being straight.

I used the Shea Moisture products and it keeps my hair pretty healthy and frizz free - so I think I'll stick w/ my natural look!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 10:49 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

Stevie - can you post again? I'm sorry to ask, I know you're busy, but I'm curious too. I have curly hair that I wear natural (too lazy to really deal w/ blow drying), but I'm curious about Keratin treatments and how they work for people w/ really curly hair!

Donna
lreidgreen-- Do you know what type of Keratin treatment you are getting?

I will try to get this done today. I had to go to LA today for a hair cut/interview with a celebrity hair stylist.
then came up to a flood of emails and 2 posts to write.
But I will give you the thoughts on this.
I know there are at least 4 types of keratin treatment
Keratin Complex
Global Keratin
Brazilian Blowout,
Brazilian Silk
and a couple of others.

Also about Living Proof - courtesy of my beauty insider acct at Sephora and some free samples to test drive, I have tried a number of products. If you are looking for products to straighten your hair, LP is not the line, If you just want to control frizz- it would be worth asking for a sample if possible

PS got about 2 inches lopped off from what you see in that photo

Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com

Last edited by Stevie W; 05-16-14 at 10:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add a sentence
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 08:29 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks, Stevie, for your response on Living Proof. I will try to get a sample from Sephora. Just cotrolling frizz would be ideal for me, especially during the humid summer months. Do you, or anyone else, have suggestions for other lines that control frizz well? I think every year I post this question in May when the humidity starts going full force in NJ. I've gotten great suggestions in the past, Shea Moisture being one of them, but it never seems to be quite enough for frizz control for me personally.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 03:06 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Thanks, Stevie, for your response on Living Proof. I will try to get a sample from Sephora. Just cotrolling frizz would be ideal for me, especially during the humid summer months. Do you, or anyone else, have suggestions for other lines that control frizz well? I think every year I post this question in May when the humidity starts going full force in NJ. I've gotten great suggestions in the past, Shea Moisture being one of them, but it never seems to be quite enough for frizz control for me personally.
Before I went the henna route I used to do the whole Jessicurl thing...with the two-step product and plunking/scrunching and I had great hair. It didn't work as well in the summer here where I live because it gets really windy (my area is world famous for it), and my efforts would be to naught as soon as I stepped out the door (and I was too lazy to blowdry my hair.) But then I went the henna route and now I don't have any need for product to have good hair.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 05:21 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

SummerBreeze, for me it is mostly the Shea Moisture that works. If you don't mind your curls being crunchier they do have a gel - I prefer my curls to be less crunchy but on a humid/rainy day I will opt for crunch over frizz! I have been experimenting w/ blending the gel w/ the styling milk and that seems to be working pretty well - just need to get the right balance down.

When I stray from Shea Moisture I will sometimes use the L'Oreal Sulfate Free line for Curls - it is in blue packaging and they also have a cream/gel product that I like and sometimes I will use the Organix Argon Oil shampoo, conditioner and curling cream.

Good luck, we get lots of humidity here, too!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 05:34 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

SummerBreeze, for me it is mostly the Shea Moisture that works. If you don't mind your curls being crunchier they do have a gel - I prefer my curls to be less crunchy but on a humid/rainy day I will opt for crunch over frizz! I have been experimenting w/ blending the gel w/ the styling milk and that seems to be working pretty well - just need to get the right balance down.

When I stray from Shea Moisture I will sometimes use the L'Oreal Sulfate Free line for Curls - it is in blue packaging and they also have a cream/gel product that I like and sometimes I will use the Organix Argon Oil shampoo, conditioner and curling cream.

Good luck, we get lots of humidity here, too!

Donna

I love Shea Moisture! I blend a little bit of conditioner with styling milk as a leave in. Donna, do you use their curly hair line?
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 10:15 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

about keratin treatments.
I did have a list of the different brands that are more keratin based and some will actually straighten your hair. I had very curly hair when I joined VF. I had a Keratin Complex treatment that went a bit long and awry..... and I wound up with bone straight hair. (long dramatic story that I won't bother you with.)
hair is now fine but I did have to let it grow out-- but I did keep smoothing it with other treatments.
found a couple of other treatments others might want to try
Pravana (natural straightening no formaldehyde)
this is a long treatment relatively speaking . should not only control frizz but also smooth out and straighten a bit. Your mileage may vary (YMMV) ..
realisse.... is another smoothing /read frizz controlling treatment . If you want to control frizz. this would be where to start.
I have had both of these. Pravana-- 3x .. (including most recently) and 2x on realisse. the last one lasted one month-- with me washing my hair just 2x a week.
I have had Brazilian Blowout.. and it made my eyes tear up. (formaldehyde in the steam). If you can smell it and it smells icky.... then something is wrong.

I would get a consult before any treatment so they can see you in real life. It's important to feel your hair texture and ask you about expectations.
I will be revisiting the Keratin Complex or Global keratin -- but to use the blonde version.

Living Proof works, HEMP brand/line (i will get exact name) has a couple of great products. Jonathan products has some smoothing products that I like. You might want to check out VOCE line by LA warren -tricomi mgr/partner Kaz Amore. it has a smoothing, hydrating and other treatments.
LOVE.. it's awesome.
also if you *just* want to control frizz, add shine and some other stuff, Check out Nelson j Beverly Hills Argan Oil 7 Non-Foaming Shampoo ..
I saw videos on this and I have seen great results with this
Nelson just did my hair cut (like 1 day ago/aka FRI.) I had a can of this shampoo and it is heaven but you must follow directions. The videos on youtube help.
www.nelsonjhaircare.com/why-argan-oil-7.htm
I get nothing from the recommendation other than when I got the haircut I was buying more and I walked out with a non-foaming can and a reg shampoo can of his.
His salon is also an AVEDA salon and they have a progressive straighener balm that you can apply to hair to control frizz and straighten hair out over time.

Belegenza has something similar but not exactly the same.
Worth checking out. I have drawers full of stuff (can you tell? )
I love Evolvh H, herbalosophy, Voce, anything sulfate free, Belegenza because it's completely food grade quality ingredients with no water. Love this line
These are lines I have no problem recommending but again it's YMMV. I have tried pravana, -- it's good. just lasts a long time.
sorry I took so long to reply. yesterday LONG day writing and piecing together someone's press release that I had to turn into an article bec it made no sense.

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 10:34 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks Stevie. I cancelled my appointment for the keratin treatment earlier today. I decided that I wanted to ask some more questions before doing it. I will ask them the name of the treatment when I go in for my cut and color at the end of the month.

To fight frizz I use Moroccan Oil or the less expensive drugstore brand which is just as good IMO. This works fine for me- I mostly want the treatment to keep my hair straight. I think I am struggling with it right now because of my last cut. I am not sure what my stylist did differently but it is not behaving.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 06:59 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks so much for the responses!

beyond.omega, I remember your mentioning the henna before and I am so tempted and it sounds amazing. I will look into it more but I'm very bad about doing these kind of things myself.

donna, maybe I should experiment a little more with the Shea Moisture and mix and match like you do. It was a good line, I just still had that poofy frizz going on a bit more than I would like. I have been thinking of trying Organix next, thanks for the rec.

stevie, lots of great recommendations, I will definitely be looking into that Argan Oil 7 shampoo and the others you mentioned.

There is still hope . Thanks again!!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-14, 07:47 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Before I went the henna route I used to do the whole Jessicurl thing...with the two-step product and plunking/scrunching and I had great hair. It didn't work as well in the summer here where I live because it gets really windy (my area is world famous for it), and my efforts would be to naught as soon as I stepped out the door (and I was too lazy to blowdry my hair.) But then I went the henna route and now I don't have any need for product to have good hair.
Beyond.Omega -- That is great that the henna is helping with frizz so much! What brand do you use? I've been using the Lush henna since December, but it's pretty messy/grainy/crumbly, so I'm interested in hearing if other brands might be easier to use. Thanks!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, cosmetics, makeupalley, paula's choice, shapewear, skin care, spanx