Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-14, 08:32 AM  
rheash92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie W View Post
I ran into the bottle of Camellia Oil in the back of my medicine cabinet. It still hd some left and I used it as body oil. The fragrance is so light and a little goes a long way.

speaking of natural and organic (there is a difference) . I have had the opportunity to try lots of things including coconut oil, (Tropical Traditions) and Tata Harper natural skincare which is totally organic and natural and amazing!
(not cheap either but a little goes a long way. I have been experimenting with lots of below the radar brands of beauty products-- from skincare, cosmetics and hair care. VERY interesting. I have another few brands.
worth watching for - or test driving yourself:
MitoQ.. which is topical skincare that works at the mitochondrial level of the cells... to increase activation via co-q-10. It's quite interesting and sinks in quickly. Part carrier, part active, it's AMAZING. there are many oils out there. some are terrific. PLUS I a serum from Michael Todd Organics that one of the actives is snail slime. (REALLY) but it's been cleaned up and it is amazing too.
LOTS of interesting stuff out there. More coming on videos and podcasts as well as my blog

Glad Mei is still working for you Suzy.. and have a great week
Raina.. I am here! Lexy.. I am here!
Can you provide a link to your podcast? Thanks.
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 08:51 AM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Podcast.. depending on the topic.. my podcast is typically tied t my site. But here's the rss feed.

http://www.blubrry.com/feeds/la_story.xml

It's got a real variety of topics. If you want to curate what is there, go to blubrry.com and find me there
Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 12:15 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Stevie!
I'm so glad you're back! You are a wealth of information, expertise and experience. Besides, I really like you.

For new folks who don't "know" Stevie, be impressed that she hangs out with us little folk here.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 01:07 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Red face

Lexy!! I am just glad that I see you on FB . Between you, Sneakers and Ooti, I am very glad you are my friends from VF there. Sometimes it's just a time factor.. I don't even hit FB and twitter everyday.

And thank you for the compliment.. and I am very glad that this is a welcome place because it's great to learn new stuff from you all. (and I do too)
:-)
xo
Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Old 01-21-14, 04:58 PM  
met fan

Just wanted to share this. Thanks to this great site, I found information about acne.org. My son has terrible cystic acne for years and has been doing their regiment for 3 weeks and there is a noticeable improvement. We are thrilled. Thank you all. Also, I wanted to post this notice I got on facebook. They are giving away free kits. I did not order because they ask that only those who really want to try it get the free kit. This organization really has impressed me and my son. Follow this link and thank you all.

http://store.acne.org/giveaway/
met fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 05:35 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

tto METFAN.. everyone has VF to thank for something! it's the collective intelligence

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Old 01-21-14, 08:02 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by met fan View Post
Just wanted to share this. Thanks to this great site, I found information about acne.org. My son has terrible cystic acne for years and has been doing their regiment for 3 weeks and there is a noticeable improvement. We are thrilled. Thank you all. Also, I wanted to post this notice I got on facebook. They are giving away free kits. I did not order because they ask that only those who really want to try it get the free kit. This organization really has impressed me and my son. Follow this link and thank you all.

http://store.acne.org/giveaway/
I love the acne.org site for skincare research but alas, my skin can no longer tolerate a benzoyl peroxide-based system after way too many years of proactiv.

I reference these pages A LOT when checking product labels for comedogenic/skin irritating ingredients:
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blo...redients-list/
http://www.acne.org/comedogenic-list.html

The first link has a whole section for oils, which is part of why I chose argan oil for the oil cleansing method. I search the page using Crtl+F. FWIW, I just started a new vanicream moisturizer which has 2 comedogenic offenders listed near the top of the ingredient list, but so far my skin hasn't rebelled.

For face cleansing, I tried raw honey for several months which was ok but eventually drying and still having the same breakouts (although less inflamed).

Now I'm trying the oil cleansing method with castor oil, cold-pressed argan oil & lavender, plus a microfiber washcloth. Sometimes I add raw honey or a homemade scrub powder to the oil. This seems to be working well for the past week.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 08:16 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

For face cleansing, I tried raw honey for several months which was ok but eventually drying and still having the same breakouts (although less inflamed).

Now I'm trying the oil cleansing method with castor oil, cold-pressed argan oil & lavender, plus a microfiber washcloth. Sometimes I add raw honey or a homemade scrub powder to the oil. This seems to be working well for the past week.
Just a thought since you mentioned using the honey...I use Manuka honey and mixed it with jojoba oil at night (with coconut oil to remove eye makeup). I didn't experience any over drying when I used the two together and read up before I started cleansing with honey that it could be potentially drying. I avoided using castor oil too because I read that some people had it really dry out their skin. Will you post back if the castor oil ends up drying you out or if your skin stays balanced? I am really curious because it's supposed to help out so much with breakouts but I didn't want to get all dried out.

Eta: I'm glad it's been working for you for the last week, I'm just curious if over the next month or however long you use your combo how your skin fares.
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 09:05 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
I avoided using castor oil too because I read that some people had it really dry out their skin. Will you post back if the castor oil ends up drying you out or if your skin stays balanced? I am really curious because it's supposed to help out so much with breakouts but I didn't want to get all dried out.

Eta: I'm glad it's been working for you for the last week, I'm just curious if over the next month or however long you use your combo how your skin fares.
I will definitely report back with future results. I read about castor oil being drying, but I followed the 1:1 ratio for "normal" skin in this crunchybetty post. I figure I can always change the ratio if I feel it's getting too drying.

I have difficult skin. Very pale, parts oily within a few hours, other parts dry and flaky, easily irritated, breakouts. Oh, and when I workout, my face morphs into a sweaty, splotchy tomato. I don't think there's a remedy for that though.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 09:19 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Have you seen a derm about rosacea? That sort of sounds a bit like it in some ways. At least ask some questions.. to rule it out
Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, cosmetics, makeupalley, paula's choice, shapewear, skin care, spanx