Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-05, 09:32 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I SO admire everyone who posts who who doesn't speak English as a native language. I lived in Germany for a year and while I spoke fairly decent German by the end (I hate the word fluent!) I would never have had the nerve to post with all my grammar errors for everyone to see! Kudos to you all!
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 10:33 AM  
ribalta
VF Supporter

Hi all;

English is my third language (I don't know if I can say my third language as my knowledges are very basic -better will use almost my thirs language) and I have posted sometimes but (as said sheepla) when I had nerve to posting and it is not frecuently.

Also when I am typing in English I always think in Spanish or Czech and the results are terribles because I don't understand my English phrases and due to can't pretend that anyone understand me. wow-like now do you understand anyone?

BTW I am happy to can be there with you and can learning so much from you. Thank you.
ribalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 10:35 AM  
new2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribalta
like now do you understand anyone?
I do!!!!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 11:32 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

English is my second language too. I participated in the Kiss my Peach, SS and P90X checkins (do I need a comma between 'SS' and 'and'? ). My native language does not have a masculine or feminine pronoun form, so it was tough to learn when to use 'she' or 'he' . So if you see me calling Cathe a 'he', or Tony a 'she' in my posts, pardon the slip.

I love VF!!

Hi everyone!

Thanya, I love Thai food .
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 12:06 PM  
kim77

I am not a native speaker either, I am from Hungary, currently living in Belgium.
I have never posted before so thank you for the encouragement
kim77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 12:21 PM  
sarayoga

Welcome to everybody!

And *all* of you are perfectly easy to understand!

sarayoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 12:30 PM  
sund

I have swedish as my first language and don't really care about my imperfections in english but I rarely post here today. I think the tone is so hard between people sometimes that I'm afraid to get misunderstood. I'm thinking about the post about " Is Keli Roberts an sell-out?" among others. I don't remember that threads like that were that common when VF started. I still enjoy this site though and come here every evening but don't post anymore.

Käthe
sund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 12:46 PM  
Thenu

Thanks Jacqi A for starting this thread. Thanks to all the VFers for your support and encouragement for people like me whose first language is not English. Though English is not my first language, I never hesitate to post here in VF, whenever I have something to say.
I may not use catchy phrases or words. What’s important to me is whether people can understand what I am trying to say. I do hope VFers will not catch me for any mistakes in my English as I am not writing an article here. Of course we are here to discuss fitness which is the most important reason I joined VF for .

Also I believe it's no good to pinpoint the mistakes others make, even for people whose first language is English. Not all of us are writers/journalists here. Sometimes we forget to proofread what we wrote and we might also use colloquial words/sentences. We are all humans to make mistakes. I also notice spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in many posts. But I just move on, what’s the point in preaching others how to write?

(edited to add) oh yes! I started the last sentence with a but . No pun intended, am just kidding
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 03:06 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Okay, the "but" conversation only arose between me and someone else in the context if two self-professed grammar nerds engaging in friendly debate I really hope it did not offend anyone. I certainly have never gone around correcting anybody's posts on VF,former journalist or not! Debating an academic point for fun is one thing but I would never correct someone unsolicited and I hope it did not come across that way. I lvoe learning about other people and countries and languages (I speak 4) and would never want to discourage anyone from posting just because English is no their first language.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 03:13 PM  
baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisas
...Jacqui, I have to say, it would be a VF dream come true to practice my Hebrew by discussing workout videos with you in Hebrew .

Elisa S.
maybe we can have a hebrew video roundtable!

(i spent my sophomore year in Israel during the first Gulf war and then worked as a reporter there for awhile. unfortunately my hebrew has not been used in years -except to yell at my dogs!!!)
baba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introductions