Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-14, 07:41 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Exclamation Help really needed ! Need to create neck and upper back vertebrae space ASAP

Hi girls,
I suffer from a couple of conditions. One just flared up and I can't do anything myself but is causing excruciating random pains all over the body and making life and easy daily job unmanageable.No painkiller can help, it's the central nervous sysy=tem. I prefer not to go even into that as there is not much you can help me with about that
Then I have herniated disks, I have been having for years, by docs in Italy want surgery I want not plus now there is no way I can.
My hernias are many and located in different areas of the spine.
Anyway I have been having pains in my neck and upper body for the last weeks but last night both my other condition and the herniated disk caused a real mess.
I cannot move my left arm especially laterally and back, my mind says its moving and I put so much strength to try to move I sweat profusely just in attempting. It s really frustrating.
This is caused by the hernias got worst and now they are compressing on the nerves.
Also my left fingers and arms are most of the time numb, I love grip of objects, right now no so I can type.
I need desperately recomendations for dvds that create space in between vertebrae - neck and upper back and something to work on mobility and maybe grip ( maybe T-Tapp for this ?)
I am not asking medical advise and I won't take it as such so please don't be shy and if you can help I will be very grateful
Please help
TIA
Old 08-26-14, 07:50 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I would suggest Classical Stretch, Essentrics, and Yamuna.
Old 08-26-14, 07:56 PM  
PrairieGem

Maybe Barbara Benagh's "Yoga for Stress Relief?" There's a 20-minute passive neck/upper back pain practice that might help relax the area; when you're feeling better, there's an active practice for stretching, building strength, and correcting alignment.
Old 08-26-14, 07:59 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Thanks GlamGal, which ones would focus on neck and upper ? especially at the beginning, since the pain all over the body, I would want to focus on those areas because being unable to move my arm and often having no control on hand and fingers is a big issues and I cant do daily tasks or i let object fall
Old 08-26-14, 07:59 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Thanks Gem I ll look into that one
Old 08-26-14, 08:12 PM  
PrairieGem

I'm not glamgal, but I love this short Essentrics shoulder and upper back stretch (from Strength & Stretch in Motion) that's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38QINRuoeM

The whole DVD is really good; two of the workouts in particular (the source for this one: Shoulders, Upper Back, and Hamstrings from Stretch in Motion; and the Full Body one from Strength in Motion) really stretch out the neck and shoulders.

However, they sort of expect that you have at least some range of motion in your arms/shoulders. If you can't raise your arms at all, then maybe starting with something like the passive practice on Barbara Benagh's DVD will help your muscles relax enough to get some motion back into them. You only need to be able to lie on your yoga mat with your neck supported.

Unfortunately, the passive practice is not available on Youtube, but the active one is. Some of it is very intense on the shoulders (triangle pose & downward dog), but I love the gentle neck stretch that she starts out with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs07SwIbWS0

(I have a chronic trapezius muscle spasm; nothing AT ALL close to what you're dealing with, so forgive me if these recommendations are way off base!)
Old 08-26-14, 08:18 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Talking

Thank you so much Gem I will check out , i cant move the arm because it s like what my brain commands doesnt happen. it s really frustrating
Old 08-26-14, 08:21 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Yamuna has a Save Your Upper Back and a Save Your Shoulders dvd that might be helpful. (I could have sworn that she had a Save Your Neck dvd at one time, but I don't see it listed anywhere on her website.)

I'm not sure which specific Classical Stretch or Essentrics routines to recommend...I don't remember any specific episodes for neck exercises, but I do know that both methods are all about creating space in your vertebrae which is why many people say they get taller. Hopefully someone can chime in to recommend specific routines or CS episodes. (ETA: Thanks PrairieGem!)

PS - I really enjoy Essentrics Flexibility Workout for Athletes. It is an hour long, but is chaptered so it can be broken down into more manageable segments. My spine always feels really stretched out after this routine.
Old 08-26-14, 08:27 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Along with CS/Essentrics I would also suggest Lee Holden's Upper Back and Neck Pain practice.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 08:52 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

OMG Samantha! That sound awful! Is it possible for you to get into see an physical therapist in your current area? I don't think surgery is a good idea, but a PT can do some treatments (hot/cold therapy, ultrasound, stretches, maybe some manual therapy) that will get you going. Your symptoms sound very serious and professional help may be in order.

I usually go to that YfSR routine when that area is giving me trouble, but I'm not sure I would do it if I had active neurological symptoms from a herniated disc.

The new T-Tapp Senior Fit is meant for older people, but again, with acute injury? I dunno. Also they recommend T-Tapp MORE for people with injuries. Maybe call the T-Tapp office and see if they have any ideas? Or you could just get them with the 57% off One Day Sale she is having and save them for when you can do them (sorry if I'm being too enabling. )
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yamuna