Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-13, 03:13 PM  
HRCFitness

For AM exercisers what do you eat before hand?

For those of you that exercise early in the am (like 6:00am)...do you eat anything beforehand? I used to exercise early am and just get up and do exercise without eating anything. I've gotten away from that and now my new habit is to get up, eat breakfast wait a bit and then exercise. But I really need to get back into exercising very first thing in the am. I feel like I have to put something in my system or I just don't have the energy for my workout.
What do you eat and how long do you let it digest for?

Thanks
Elena
HRCFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 03:36 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I run 4-5 miles at 6:30am every morning.

I get up at 6am and drink a cup of coffee and eat a banana. I don't require any more digesting time than the 20 or so minutes before I get out there. However, I am one that can run on a full stomach. In fact, I do better with food in my stomach. I'm not sure why that is, but it's always been that way for me. The downside is that I don't do well on an empty stomach.

After my run I eat a bowl of cereal and more fruit and then do an hour work out. I don't wait after eating my cereal either.
Old 10-19-13, 03:40 PM  
cherimac

I get up, drink water, and work out. No food. I realize it won't work for everyone. I'm also one who does mostly intermediate w/os. If I did really intense stuff it might not work.
Old 10-19-13, 03:57 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I get up at 5AM to work out. I drink water during the workout and eat breakfast at work about 8:00 - mainly protein and fat. I'm not hungry after I work out, so no sense eating. My workouts are intermediate.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 04:33 PM  
firmaholic

When I exercise in the morning I just roll out of bed and work out. I can't think food early in the morning.
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 04:56 PM  
Shelbygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaholic View Post
When I exercise in the morning I just roll out of bed and work out. I can't think food early in the morning.
This is what I do...just wake up at 5am and start my workout. I then shower and have coffee on my way to work. No food until 8:30 or so.

shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 05:33 PM  
andtckrtoo

I'm up at 4:30 as I need some time to wake up. I drink 2 cups of coffee with cream before working out, but that's it.
Old 10-19-13, 05:47 PM  
alisoncooks

Usually I eat nothing... but I've started popping a prune and drinking some water beforehand. No reason except that I bought a big container of prunes for my kids & they wouldn't eat them. Someone has to eat them...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 06:02 PM  
mspina

It depends on what I'm doing that day for my workout. Anything shorter than an hour, I don't eat anything. If I have a longer bike or run to do, I'll have a sports gel, or if it's a really long bike/run (2-3+ hours) I'll have a LaraBar. I don't specifically wait before starting, just whatever time it takes to finish getting ready. But for traditional home workouts that are about an hour? Nothing - just roll out of bed and get going.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 06:05 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I usually have coffee before I work out in the morning. If I workout later in the morning and I'm hungry, I might have some oatmeal or a banana before I work out.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote