Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-12, 01:15 AM  
boukilisa

Is non-stop toning the same as steady state cardio?

Please help. I've lost alot of weight before with steady state cardio. I added in weights for toning after most of the weight was off. This time I'm wondering if non-stop toning like Kettlebells or Amy Dixon's Give Me 10 workouts can keep my heart rate up and take the place of steady state cardio while I tone at the same time. Has anyone had experience with this?
boukilisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 06:35 AM  
renee mcfar

Good question. I look forward to reading replies from soemone who knows. Since I am not that person!

IMHO, You do need to have cardio. Not only to burn calories but for overall health. Steady state cardio build your endurance and heart health. How often, opinions vary.
renee mcfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 10:06 AM  
Elise7

I also think pure cardio is helpful for mental health.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 10:20 AM  
pcramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
Please help. I've lost alot of weight before with steady state cardio.

First congrats on your weight loss!! Would you mind sharing what you did for steady state cardio?? Did you use DVDs, if so, which ones.

Thanks
Old 02-06-12, 10:25 AM  
Alan

It's not just the non-stop aspect of workouts such as kettlebells that provides the cardio effect but also the fact that you are using large muscle groups. During exercise the heart pumps faster so that it can provide much needed oxygen-rich blood to the muscles, and most workouts that are labeled "cardio" use the legs because those are the largest muscles which require the most oxygen. However, even without working the legs an exercise can still train the heart effectively if enough of the smaller muscles are engaged.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 10:50 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It's not just the non-stop aspect of workouts such as kettlebells that provides the cardio effect but also the fact that you are using large muscle groups. During exercise the heart pumps faster so that it can provide much needed oxygen-rich blood to the muscles, and most workouts that are labeled "cardio" use the legs because those are the largest muscles which require the most oxygen. However, even without working the legs an exercise can still train the heart effectively if enough of the smaller muscles are engaged.
I agree. I don't think your heart knows the difference between a cardio DVD, a walk, a run, or cardio-effect with weights.
Old 02-06-12, 11:36 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee mcfar View Post
Good question. I look forward to reading replies from soemone who knows. Since I am not that person!

IMHO, You do need to have cardio. Not only to burn calories but for overall health. Steady state cardio build your endurance and heart health. How often, opinions vary.
I've often lost a lot of weight with Weight-only workouts. We have some threads about it where others had the same effect. I only do cardio now bc I may enjoy the workout (Leslie Sansone and outdoor walking). I should clarify, I tend to lose twice the inches compared to weight. I've had months where I've lost nothing on the scale but a full jean size in inches. Cardio ISN'T needed for everyone for weight loss. Some people, most people perhaps, but not everyone.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 02:16 PM  
saffron

Here's some more info from Cathe.com

Is Resistance Training a Good Cardiovascular Workout?
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 02:40 PM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffron View Post

I don't think the type of circuit training described here is the same as what the OP is referring to. The routines described in the Cathe.com article still include many breaks, and it makes no mention of what type of resistance exercises are used, whether they are total body or isolation moves. Contrast that with some kettlebell workouts where the exercises are generally total body and you go 5-10 min or even longer without setting the KB down.

A recent article published by ACE regarding the aerobic benefits of kettlebell workouts made these conclusions:

Quote:
Kettlebells can provide one heck of a workout. Based on comparisons with data from previous research on standard weight training, the HR and V•O2 responses during the kettlebell snatch routine suggest it provides a much higher-intensity workout than standard weight-training routines. Furthermore, the kettlebell snatch workout easily meets industry recommendations for improving aerobic capacity.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 02:42 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffron View Post

I've read that before but know tons of people who have gotten great benefits cardio wise with little or no pure "cardio" in the traditional sense of the word.

That said, I do a couple of cardio workouts per week, along with circuit training, because I love it.