Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-12, 02:56 PM  
momof10

Review: Cardio Karate

I received the Cardio Karate series last week Friday. I ordered and got them in less than a week. I know there has been some negative things said about the company and about their website, but I wanted to give my personal opinion on the DVDs that I have done.

So far, I have done all three of Amy Bento's, which are Cardio Circuits, Cardio Intense and Cardio Complexes. I also did Greg Sim's Interval Core this morning. These have all been excellent workouts. They are super intense, with some high impact, but even without the impact they are intense. I felt thoroughly worked out when I finished them. The music in Amy's workouts were really driven music. Greg's music wasn't as driven as Amy's, but it was passable. I have never done any kind of workout like it ever. I have been buying home workouts for 17 years now. I would consider myself an advanced exerciser. I have a first degree black belt in kickboxing karate. These workouts have that feel for karate. The workouts really engage the whole body.

The moves do incorporate animal moves, which are really fun and focused at the same time. For instance, in the four DVDs I have done, the cat move is used. That being said, they use the cat move in a different way with each workout, such as straight out cat toward the front, or scoop lunge to the side and then add on a hop with a kick. These workouts are definitely total body workouts that do give the intensity tha other kickboxing workouts do not.

The lengths of the workouts vary. Cardio Intense has been the longest so far, it's 1:17 in length. Cardio Circuits is 1:03, Cardio Complex is :57 and then Interval Core is :57. There is a countdown, like BB DVDs on the bottom of the screen. I do like that, too.

There is a downside to these workouts, though. They aren't chaptered and of course, since they aren't chaptered, there aren't any premixes. We have been spoiled with chaptering. It would have made the DVDs much better to have chapters.

With Amy's workouts, the hardest one for me choreography wise was Cardio Intense she goes through four pods. They call each segment pods. The pods in this one are quite long. She does one side, then the other side and then alternates them from side to side. Once all four pods are done she TIFT, which was challenging to remember all four together. In Cardio Circuits, the pods are shorter and when she strings them together, it is much easier to get.

One other thing I didn't care for is in Amy's she does knock Tae Bo several time during her workout. I just don't believe in cutting down other workouts to make their workout look better. Just from doing the workout, I know they are better than Tae Bo, but why say it?

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 03:17 PM  
upperwside

Thank you for your review Cheryl!

I am still on the fence about these.. i want to know more about the other workouts too. Would love to hear your thoughts on them when you get the chance.

I agree about the Tae Bo comments.. no need for that. I love doing Tae Bo.. Billy makes me laugh!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 03:58 PM  
pattyd0319

Even though I don't really have the time, I would love to try these and your review makes me want to try them even more. For goodness sakes, I haven't even finished trying out all the Cathe's from the low impact series and have only tried one Kelley Workout from her latest 3 dvds.

But I would still like to try these so I'll keeping an out for more reviews.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 05:08 PM  
DEEDEE

They have contact information with an address and phone number now.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 05:18 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE View Post
They have contact information with an address and phone number now.
That's good!! I was leery when I ordered mine, because I didn't get an email to confirm it. I read on Amy's FB that they were sending texts, but I didn't give my cell number. I did get it in less than a week so, I was happy about that. I was able to get it for the $89, too. I don't know why they upped the price, the price I got it for was quite reasonable. I will definitely be using these for a long time.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 10:01 PM  
olala

Kineticflix just added those to the library. Cool!
olala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 09:00 AM  
dela

Thanks for the review! I really do want these but not enough right now to pay the increased price, I'm really disappointed they did that. I was on their facebook page the other day and it was finally updated with some newer posts, but then I went back and they were mostly gone . I felt the $90 price was about right for this set for what was included, maybe even a little high knowing they are not chaptered. I can't seem to get past the price issue yet.

Cheryl, have you tried any yet that include some weight work?
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 09:52 AM  
adrien_73

I am interested too, but not enough to pay the current price. I probably would have caved after reading Cheryl's review yesterday if it were still $89!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 10:41 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
I am interested too, but not enough to pay the current price. I probably would have caved after reading Cheryl's review yesterday if it were still $89!
Me too . So, I'm not sure if it is good or bad that they raised the price. I am still hoping it will eventually come down and by then I will actually be in a position to afford it.
Old 01-21-12, 11:50 AM  
spufflez

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bot View Post
Me too . So, I'm not sure if it is good or bad that they raised the price. I am still hoping it will eventually come down and by then I will actually be in a position to afford it.
I think I'll wait around a year or so on these. The price will probably go down by then. And I'll get to read more reviews, too.
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio karate, hunky guys with no shirts