Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-11, 09:18 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Tell me about Venus Index Please

I have read a few threads and done a few Google searches, but I can't figure it all out. I know it's a paper program that lasts 12 weeks and that the jury is out on whether the repetitiveness is tolerable.

I found them on Facebook and think it's disgusting that they charge $5.95 to read each article that they tease you with an intro to (or watch the podcast or whatever.). Their info page does say you can get the system for $49.95 and it sounds like that might include all the podcasts. But they also have info on giving them your cc number so they can automatically charge it for any information. I just emailed for more info, but know I will have better luck here.

Maybe if I wasn't too lazy too get off my iPad and fired up my laptop, I'd be able to see the 10-minute video and that would explain everything.

I am intrigued by this, especially if the price isn't the $79.95 i've read about and is $49.95.

Thanks for any info -
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 10:11 AM  
Alyluna

Hi Joni,

I have Venux Index (the original and VI #2 which was recently realeased). It's actually a great program and pretty intense. It's 12 weeks and each week you do 3 total body workouts mostly in supersets alternating between upper and lowerbody. The exercises are repeated with subsequent day's workouts (and phases) but they may be sequenced differently. There are some "unique" exercises that may not be familiar but the program contains links to videos for all exercises. It's a "fun" program and it may not look like much on paper but it's really intense. If you're someone that's looking for fatloss, and a lean and defined look, this will do it.

Here's a sample day's workout from phase 1

Push Ups 3 sets x10 reps rest 60 seconds
Curtsy Lunge 3 10 60
Step Up and Press 3 10 60
Dips 3 10 60
Bowler Squat 3 10 60
Plank 3 60 seconds 60
one arm dumbbell row 3 10 60
T-Bend 3 10 60
Squat and Lateral Raise 3 10 60

Venus Index 2 is different in that it has a variety of set/rep schemes, heavy weights/low rep, low weight/higher reps, pyramids and trisets.

Both are great and a nice change of pace from using DVDs for strength training.

I hope this helps.
Alyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 10:54 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Alyluna has some great info so just adding my 2 cents. I did the original VI rotation earlier in the year and found it effective and enjoyable enough that I stuck with it. It is a solid strength training rotation, and for me worked well for fat loss and body recomposition.

There is some repetition among the workouts, but I thought there was enough variety that it wasn't dull. You don't need weight machines or access to a gym. The workouts took me anywhere from 25-50 minutes to do. There is a good bit of shoulder work, and LOTS of tall box climbs with shoulder presses, so if that isn't your cup of tea you may want to give it a miss.

Personally I found the program worth $50, but wouldn't have paid $80. YMMV. If you have enjoyed paper workouts in the past, you may enjoy this one as well.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 11:04 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks. I forgot to ask how long the workouts are. Thanks, Fonzie!
Old 11-24-11, 11:16 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Joni, I bought Venus Index last fall and did their rotation. Towards the end, I was struggling with the repetitiveness, but I did finish the program, and I did see some nice results.

Fast forward a year and I now own all of the Venus Index Programs, and I came up with a rotation this past August that has kept the boredom factor at bay, so this time around I am thoroughly enjoying this program.

First, the Venus Index program is a women's program. Its purpose is to develop an hourglass figure, so it is shoulder intensive. The rep range for Venus Index 1 is between 10-12 reps, so it does focus on buidling muscle while burning fat. All workouts are done in a circuit manner with a 60 second rest between exercises in order to lift at your maximum.

The manuals that come with it are pretty darn good and it does have a link to video clips for each exercise.

For me, the workouts take a bit longer than Fonzie. I don't think any of my workouts clocked in at 25 minutes, but some do go by faster than others. It all depends on the exercises that are in a particular circuit.

Their forum is now free to everyone who buys any of the Venus Index programs. My membership was getting ready to expire when they switched, so I'm thrilled. To be honest, I was hesitant to recommend Venus Index here at VF due to their forum not being free.

Anyway, if you are willing to give paper workouts a try, I say go for it. It's been money well spent.

What made this program enjoyable for me this time around? I spent quite a bit of time coming up with a rotation that incorporates their Venus Index 1, their specialization program, and their circuit program, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. With this rotation, I also have my kettlebell and bodyweight workouts built into my program, so I don't miss any of my important methods of training.

EDIT:
This program is designed as 1/3 splits; 1/3 upper, 1/3 lower, 1/3 total body. It's a mix of traditional strength work, compound work, and bodyweight work. But for me, it seems to be more lower body and shoulder focused.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-11, 12:12 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Sorry. I didn't think this post went through.
Old 11-24-11, 12:13 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks, Debbie. I had read your posts about switching it up toward the end because you were so bored and thinking you weren't going to get any more of their workouts. Glad you made it work for you and are happy with the results! I think I'll give this a shot if it's still $49.95.
Old 11-24-11, 12:32 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Uh oh - I think I messed up. They will be mailing the manuals to me, right? When I purchased the first one, they offered me the circuit one at $19.95 and I bought that one. Then they took me to the 'dowload' area to download my purchase. Ummm. I'm not interested in downloading and printing out a bunch of stuff. That's more money spent on paper and toner. I emailed and told them that, if that's the case, I want to cancel the order. I hope they'll let me do that.
Old 11-24-11, 06:27 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Joni, it is a downloadable e-book, but you don't have to download all of the material. In fact, you might even be able to attach a link to an email, mail it it yourself and open the email on you iPad.

I personally just print the rotation, and look up the exercises when I need to. It is a great program, and like all e-books, they do have a money back guarantee. So look over the manual before you make up your mind.

The circuits are fantastic, and tough, and well worth the extra $20.00. I'll start a thread with the rotation I created to give people an idea what they can do after a VI rotation.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 01:47 AM  
ladysaraii

Joni, it's not a lot of stuff to print out. I only ever printed the rotation and then the worksheets I created (which in hindsight I should have done first)

I'm planning to restart the first of the year if you'd like to do a group check-in

July 08 Cathe Road Trip
ladysaraii is offline   Reply With Quote