Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-19, 06:09 PM  
seabliss

I've been lifting sorta heavy (heavy enough for me) for a few years, since I started doing Fitness Blender workouts. My heaviest dumbbells are 25s. I have only positive things to say. My shoulders are naturally narrow and sloping, and now they are straight and more appropriate for my hips, which are wide. I like my strong arms with their definition. They aren't big. I've also lifted my glutes with these workouts. I don't have extra appetite unless I do a lot of HIIT (that doesn't happen, haha).

I also do barre and Pilates for lower body (Blogilates), so I mix it up. But I do weights twice a week for upper and lower body.

Cheryl
Old 03-04-19, 07:18 PM  
Tugger31

Seabliss, when you say you do UB and LB twice a week do you two total body workouts, UB splits or other? And is that heavy lifting twice a week or does that include barre/light weights? Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 08:53 PM  
seabliss

Tugger, I usually do one upper day, one lower day, and one compound day, although sometimes it's two upper and two lower days. Those are the heavier weights days. Sometimes those workouts include cardio intervals. Fitness Blender workouts are usually set up so you get a cardio effect while lifting, because the breaks between sets are short. The other days I do barre/Pilates/cardio, and I walk almost every day.
Old 03-04-19, 09:47 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Seabliss, I see a few Blogilates on YouTube. Are those the ones you do for lower body?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 09:19 AM  
severin817

I see more definition and shape in my body when I do heavy weights (heaviest weight I can lift for 6-10 reps).

I find that higher rep stuff doesn't really do much for me in terms in reshaping my body.

I think the key to not getting bigger with heavier weight training is reduce the body fat on top of the muscle so it doesn't give the appearance of bulkiness. And most of that is in your nutrition.
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 10:57 AM  
warriorprincess

I adore the feeling of strength and power I have in my legs and glutes when I've been lifting heavy regularly. Yes, it adds an inch or so, but it's very muscular, and it feels very empowering. When I lay off the squats for a while, that area starts feeling mushy and I hate it, in spite of the actual size being smaller. It drives me back to the weights faster than anything.

I'm pretty sure it helps with bone density too, which is a pretty strong motivator for me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 04:55 PM  
seabliss

Joni O, yes, there are hundreds of Blogilates workouts on Youtube. You can search "blogilates" with keywords like thighs, butt, booty, lower body, etc. and see many. I don't really do the abs ones unless there's a set or so in the workout I'm doing.

The workouts are not easy. Some are standing and some are mat. They're mostly short but I do 3-4 at a time. At four I often have DOMS the next day. Some people may not like Cassey's chatting but I find her entertaining as she is making you suffer, haha. I get annoyed by a lot of instructor personalities, but not hers for some reason.

Here is one that makes me think a bit of Winsor's side series.

This one is a no-dread standing workout that uses a lot of balance. I think it's fun. She also has some tough inner thigh challenges.

This is a very nice 30-minute workout.

You can also go to Blogilates.com and search by body part.

P.S. Sometimes she talks for a minute or two at the beginning her videos, but you can fast forward past that if you want.
Old 03-05-19, 06:31 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks! I apparently didn’t dig deep enough because I only found a few.

Yes! That one does look a lot like Winsor. Thanks for the links.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 08:38 PM  
marki64

After reading all the responses, I am staying with my set of 8 to 12 pounders. I don't, want to get bulky especially being menopausal. Not a good combination.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 10:46 AM  
Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
How long is each of the workouts on this DVD? Just curious.
Level 1, days 1-5 is 25 minutes

Level 2, days 6-15 is 40 minutes

Level 3, days 16-30 is 52 minutes

Julia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weight training, heavy weights