Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-16, 09:53 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
The best advice I've seen on losing fat has been to focus on habit formation. Replacing bad habits with good habits when it comes to eating healthier, portion sizes, exercise, stress reduction, sleep hygiene, etc. pick habits you can live with long term, and only add one new change at a time. Pick something on the easy side to change first, so your success with it will add momentum.
Yep, Exactly what I did the lose about 20 pounds. One change at a time.
Old 02-25-16, 12:55 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I'd be curious to see the study in question, rather than an interview, to see if the results were reported for before/after or before/after/after-after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecelia View Post
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea....full.pdf+html
I think that's the link to the study.
I haven't been able to access the full document, just the abstract. But it is clearly intended as a short term, as they say "proof-of-principle" study. Adherence or regain weren't part of their research question. But I think we would all be interested in a study of that nature following such a regime, given the previous research you mention. Not to mention what we've seen of those poor Biggest Loser contestants who have experienced regain.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 04:38 PM  
amcgilsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowey124 View Post
Thank you for all the interesting replies.

I am a 6 ft mesomorph - am fortunate to gain muscle easily. However, in the last 4 years I have also gained 50lbs (menopause has played a big part here).

I want to maintain my muscle, but lose those pounds - how do I train? Bearing in mind that I know it's a case of calories in vs calories out.
If you search the forms for the thread to CAthe : Your Expertise Please When you have a minute.

I asked Cathe this same question and she responded .
amcgilsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 04:39 PM  
amcgilsky

oops I am not on Cathe forums am I LOL
amcgilsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 05:31 PM  
edensmom

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/your-...minute.295091/
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 06:11 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
So much of what we do in a day is auto-pilot stuff. If you work to structure your habits, you've won the battle once and for all.

(My winning habit is to prepare food for the whole day in the morning - I have time in the morning - and then during the day I can count on a salad and lean protein just waiting for me.)
Yes. I used to have a danish at work around 10:30 or 11:00 as my mid-morning snack. I changed it to an orange. I get sweetness and fiber and it's more filling, less caloric. Then my afternoon snack of another sweet or candy bar was switched to a large apple, cut into quarters with one tablespoon of nut butter. Again, sweet and filling and since I work out as soon as I get home, I'm not starving.

Willowey, since you're in the UK and I have several good friends who are Brits, remember that booze is just empty calories. Brits drink more than Americans do. It's part of their culture.
Old 02-25-16, 07:53 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post

Willowey, since you're in the UK and I have several good friends who are Brits, remember that booze is just empty calories. Brits drink more than Americans do. It's part of their culture.

Wow. Just ... wow.

Willowey wrote that menopause has played a big part in her weight gain. Other people here on VF have said the same thing without being told that their weight gain is probably due to a cultural bent towards excessive liquor consumption. What a thing to say.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 01:15 PM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post

Wow. Just ... Wow.
+1
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 01:33 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Videofit, please do not make cultural assumptions about individual members here, or whole cultures, for that matter. That is not appropriate here.

Now let's return to the original topic.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-16, 02:39 PM  
willowey124

Thank you Betsy, Maitai and Wendy - Ironically I don't drink alcohol at all.

amcgilsky & edensmon - thanks for the link to Cathe - interesting reading - so Cathe is recommending metabolic workouts with heavy-ish weights - I'm doing the metabolic part (I thin? Do Jillian workouts qualify?) but haven't ever really gone down the heavy weights route.

Out of interest - can anyone tell me the difference between metabolic and circuit workouts?
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build muscle and lose fat, fat loss, fitday.com, how to lose fat, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, lose fat, over 50, successful weight loss