Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-14, 08:53 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Yamuna has a Save Your Upper Back and a Save Your Shoulders dvd that might be helpful. (I could have sworn that she had a Save Your Neck dvd at one time, but I don't see it listed anywhere on her website.)

I'm not sure which specific Classical Stretch or Essentrics routines to recommend...I don't remember any specific episodes for neck exercises, but I do know that both methods are all about creating space in your vertebrae which is why many people say they get taller. Hopefully someone can chime in to recommend specific routines or CS episodes. (ETA: Thanks PrairieGem!)

PS - I really enjoy Essentrics Flexibility Workout for Athletes. It is an hour long, but is chaptered so it can be broken down into more manageable segments. My spine always feels really stretched out after this routine.
Thanks so much for all the suggestions !!!!
Old 08-26-14, 08:53 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Along with CS/Essentrics I would also suggest Lee Holden's Upper Back and Neck Pain practice.
Didn't know he had that one, thanks !
Old 08-26-14, 08:56 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I know you didn't ask for medical advice, but my nurse fingers can't be still any longer.

Significant loss of movement and function in a limb can be a medical emergency. In my opinion you need immediate medical attention to reduce the pressure on your spinal cord/nerves and prevent any further or lasting damage.

It may require medications to reduce the swelling so that you can regain function. Please don't be moving your neck and arms around in an attempt to "create space". The reason you're having these symptoms is that the space is occupied by inflamed tissue and the inflammation needs to be reduced.

You can take this or leave this, but I felt it needed to be said. I hope you feel better soon.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:00 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Thank you for saying it Jennifer R. I was really worried about Samantha, but also wanted to be supportive...and I'm not a professional.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:09 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Samantha,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with so much pain! My mom has many of the conditions you speak of...decompression of the spine, herniated disks, numbness, bone rubbing on bone, etc. and I've witnessed how bad of shape she is in. At least you have your youth (and want to be as mobile as you can be.) My mom isn't physically active, so she just lays down when she's frustrated, tired, and in so much pain (which is worse.) The doctors also wanted to do surgery but she's afraid, as spinal operations and nervous system can be tricky procedures.

I would also suggest Classical Stretch and would probably do the episodes that focus on spine lengthening and posture, but I would proceed very gently if you have difficulty raising your arms.

I have Barbara's Yoga for Stress Relief and it's very good! There's also Deborah Donohue's Restorative Yoga practice which has six workouts on it. You might also try Yoga to the Rescue for painfree back, neck and shoulders with Desiree Rumbaugh.

Hope you start to feel better soon! And, I wish you well!

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:18 PM  
Yelly

I am so sorry for the pain and fear you must be in.

The first person who came to my mind was Jill Miller.
xoxo
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:21 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I know you didn't ask for medical advice, but my nurse fingers can't be still any longer.

Significant loss of movement and function in a limb can be a medical emergency. In my opinion you need immediate medical attention to reduce the pressure on your spinal cord/nerves and prevent any further or lasting damage.

It may require medications to reduce the swelling so that you can regain function. Please don't be moving your neck and arms around in an attempt to "create space". The reason you're having these symptoms is that the space is occupied by inflamed tissue and the inflammation needs to be reduced.

You can take this or leave this, but I felt it needed to be said. I hope you feel better soon.
I second Jennifer's recommendation to see a physician for an evaluation before attempting your own interventions.

When you're cleared for gentle exercise, I, too, like Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief. I also recommend Peggy Cappy's DVDs, like Easy Yoga for Easing Pain and others.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:33 PM  
Elise7

I would recommend Treat Your Own Neck by Mackenzie. I recently had a low back injury at work and his Treat Your Own Back book has been amazingly effective as I wait for authorization to go the physical therapist.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:57 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Jennifer I really appreciate your concern

I am very aware of what I have, it has been going for a while and my doc told me clearly if I didnt take time to do yoga type of stuff stretching the compression would have gone worse and create these symphtoms. There is no swelling, there is just shortned space in between vertebrea.

When I do stretch etc everything goes well, but I have been very busy recently and stopped all together. And I felt the neck stuff coming.

Plus my neurophogosis which is pretty painful.

Sooif I find the right program and I make time - and I need to - I know it will get betterMy docs the ones familiar with my situations are in Italy, I will try to talk to them but I already know what they will tell me.

I cant go back to Italy and I need to function fast, I have 7 pets 4 ferals that need a lot of time ( and cleaning) plus a rescued dog that is paranoided scraed poor baby and need a lot of work. And I care for them alone and in these days just to feed minimally clean and barely walk the dog has been hell. And they need handling work socialization

Plus here in US , for neurophogosis, I should find a very good vietnamese acupunturist but my doc is that and MD so he can inject, here they cant and regular acupuncture is not what I need.

Thanks for your concern girls
Old 08-26-14, 09:59 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Thanks Pam, Danielle, Elise , Ann, Kaya and Beyond Omega

Tags
yamuna