Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-12, 03:14 PM  
bfit

so frustrated with my injury - encouragement please

Well, I wrote a few days ago about how I strained my gluteus medius doing deadlifts last weekend and how I had gone to the doctor. I was getting noticeably better on Thursday and Friday, and I was really encouraged, but today I'm worse again - probably back to where I was Thursday morning. I have not been working out at all, but yesterday I did a few chores around the house (no heavy lifting, but some bending over), and I walked 3 blocks to get my hair cut, and apparently that was enough to make things worse again. I am so depressed and discouraged I feel like crying. I can't walk normally, can't climb stairs normally, can't sit normally, can't get my shoes, socks, and pants on without sitting down, can't get into the bathtub without help, and so on. The doctor said I should be pretty much healed up in 10-14 days, but it was a week ago today that I injured myself, and I'm nowhere near healed. I'm almost 55, and I'm starting to wonder if this is the end of the exercise road for me. Does anyone have any words of advice? Should I go back to the doctor on Monday? It worries me that I'm getting worse instead of better and that I can't even do everyday activities.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 03:49 PM  
Sara1000

I doubt if it's the end of exercise - but it may take a long time for it to heal completely. Meanwhile you have to be patient and follow the doctor's orders if she told you not to lift. Maybe get a new stretching workout to cheer yourself up.

Some yoga type workouts now are intended to be somewhat theraputic - maybe investigate those. I have one called Healing Yoga that is very nicely done (charles and Lisa Matkin).

If your job involves too much walking you may have to take a few days off or ask for some adjustments in your duties temporarily.

DO NOT push yourself to do more than you are supposed to - two weeks will pass quickly.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 03:49 PM  
zippity

oh no, you are still young and nowhere near the end of your exercise road! Gluteus medius is right next to the sciatic nerve so you've got to baby it-did the doctor tell you that? Probably not, especially if he's not fitness oriented. It hurts because it's a large muscle involved in many different types of movement-just about everything you do except scratch your nose.

I"m just a few years behind you in age, and when I pulled my gluteus medius, I put cold packs on it several times a day, and it still took about a month before I was 100%. Seems like a long time, but this too shall pass. I did start walking again once the acute phase of the injury passed, so you won't be completely sidelined for months.

Did your doc recommend any nsaids like aleve or advil to help with the inflammation? I don't usually take them, but did in this case because I wanted to minimize sciatic nerve involvement.

I"m sorry you are injured!
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 04:10 PM  
PhyllisG

I am in the same boat. I have been in bed for three weeks unable to move. Now finally the fourth week I am up and walking--no bending and just about sitting. I am older than you and also panicked that not only exercise was over but I would be using a walker! At the same time the furnace died and the pipes froze so my house was freezing. Thankfully I have a wood stove in my bedroom so at least that room was warm. I don't know how I injured myself but I think it was carrying wood. I keep telling myself this too will pass. We have a new furnace and I am walking. I love my heating pad. This has truly been an ordeal so I understand what you are going thru. Everyone told me to walk as much as possible. Hope you feel better soon and don't despair you are not alone!
Two doctors and my chiropractor told me to take 3 Advils every 4 hours to reduce inflammation and help with pain. I know that sounds like a lot but they told me not to worry

Last edited by PhyllisG; 02-04-12 at 04:12 PM. Reason: adding
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 04:16 PM  
Kyra

One of the primary roles of the glute medius is to stabilize the pelvis during walking. So I'd keep that in mind as you go about your daily activities; rest may mean REST for you. If you are having pain, ice is a good idea, too.

In general with this type of situation you might be better off seeing a sports medicine doctor, an ortho or a DO than a GP; your GP might be able to refer you to someone if you let him or her know you haven't been improving. If this really is just a sprain, I'm sure you'll be able to recover fully! It just may take longer than you'd like. (It always does!)

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 04:20 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm sorry you are injured! Not much more to add but take your time, and try to heal. If you need to see another practitioner, do it!

I'm constantly dealing with some injury since I'm a broken gymnast. It's hard, but just give your body time to heal and you will be fine.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 07:51 PM  
bfit

update

I'm sure everyone is tired of this, but I don't know who else to "talk" to about it. I've done everything for my glute injury that I was supposed to do - no workouts, ice, heat, meds, rest. In fact, I spent almost the entire weekend in bed or on the couch. I left the house only once to go with my husband to the grocery store, and we'd been in the store less than 10 minutes, and I had to go back to the car because I was hurting. Today (Monday) I can hardly walk, and I've spent another entire day in bed. I've been taking the antiflammatory and muscle relaxant around the clock since last Wednesday. I called the doctor and they gave me a referral to PT but said it would take up to 2 weeks for the "authorization" for that. They also said someone would call me today to talk to me about the pain, but no one did. I've already called in sick for work tomorrow. I explained to my supervisor that I can sit and I can stand, but I can't walk and asked him if there was any accommodation they could make for me temporarily. Is there anything else you would recommend? If I keep pestering the doctor what should I be asking for? Pain killers? Should I just stay in bed for a week or so? I realize that you can't give me professional medical advice, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you so much.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 07:57 PM  
PhyllisG

I am going thru this too and after 3 and a half weeks I am walking but still have not left the house. Maybe by the end of this week. It was really bad. My MD offered stronger pain meds and I ended up taking a quarter of a hydrocodone (?) a day because I am sensitive to these. But it really did help. The muscle relaxant did nothing. I really think it just takes time. It is a slow process and I dream of the day when I will be completely recovered which everyone tells me will happen. Hang in there. Talk about it all you need to as I can sympathize completely. This hurts!
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:14 AM  
sjazz78

So sorry to hear about your injury. I'm going through a little challange as well.

I suffer from migraines and had a bad flare up this weekend. Well, in the the process of dealing with that and taking the needed bedrest, something happened to my back. I know that I'll need a new mattress soon but I think sooner came a little faster than I thought.

So right now I'n not dealing with the migraine but the back pain has taken it's place. Can only sit for minutes at a time. Can't sleep and I ache from my lower back and even feel it a little in my legs. The thing is I really can't afford to take anymore time off from work. It was bad enough that I missed out on my weekend premium pay but now I have to be mindful of my time because I need to have day available for my Mom's upcoming surgery. All of this because I somewhere along the line I "zigged when I should have zagged

And oh yeah, I was doing pretty good with my workout routine and now I have to start from scratch. For me this is a time when I have to rely on my Leslie collection and just take it really easy and try be patient until I heal.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread but wanted to let you know that there are many that know what you're going through so I'm sending good vibes your way as well.
Old 02-07-12, 11:57 AM  
renee mcfar

bfit: its not the end of the road. Of course not! Its a bump in the road! You will get over the bump! Maybe not as quick as you would like but it will happen! I think some stronger pain meds will make you feel better and maybe get you more mobile but do not overdo the mobile part! Hang in there young lady! Yes,55 is young!
renee mcfar is offline   Reply With Quote