Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-12, 12:57 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Vee, I know a lot of people swear by once a week per body part, but I've tried it twice and just never saw any progress. I did Cathe's pure strength series for almost 6 months. I did CTX, which is similar, for 8 weeks. In neither case did I see any strength improvements and the DOMS was awful, because every week it was like starting over! I know once a week is supposed to be enough, but I have to do strength twice a week to see any improvements in how much I can lift and in not being so sore. Once a week per body part always made me feel like a rank beginner each week. I know that is not the norm.

And I really do want to do Pump because I LOVE IT.

(anyone who is interested in the final plan, see next post)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 01:29 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The facts: 1) If I run 2x a week (or even 1x per week) I can MAINTAIN but not gain. 2) If I work out hard six days in a row, I get too achey. 3) as I approach menopause I need to do more strength. 4) But I'm unwilling to give up running.

The inspiration: When I was running last night, I had to slow down to keep going because the woodstove in the basement was burning and I was too hot! I learned a long time ago in running that you don't have to QUIT when you feel maxxed out, if you are jsut willing to SLOW DOWN, you can usually KEEP GOING. SO, I had a flash of inspiration!

What if I design my week so that I work a "slowdown" into the middle so I can keep going?? Eureka! This sounds good!

It will look like this:

Mon- Pump
Tues- run
Wed - alternate (easier) strength in lieu of Pump (I'm thinking about using Petra's Elegant Strength, or something Pilates-esque)
Thur- easier fun cardio of choice (90% of the time it will be Christi Taylor. lol. Yes, I am that predictible!)
Fri- Pump
Sat- run

I'm still getting 3 cardio and 3 strength, I'm running 2x so I won't lose what I've gained, but I'm pacing myself in the middle of the week to keep myself from running out of steam before the end or getting too achey.

Perfect. I love it.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 07:25 PM  
renee mcfar

Susan, sounds like you found the perfect answer.

Christi is also my fun cardio gal! Even the old Christi's. The ones where she looks like she is 16 years old!
renee mcfar is offline   Reply With Quote