Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-20, 11:00 AM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I had a grocery delivery a couple of weeks ago using Instacart and it was a great experience. If they don't have the item you want, you can list what you would want as a substitute. If the shopper can't find either, they let you know and you can accept or reject whatever they can find. All the substitutions my shopper found were fine and some were even better than what I wanted, so I discovered some new items!

Since they are so backed up right now, you may have to wait days or even a week or so. This probably depends on where you live and since I live in a densely populated area, the wait times can be long, but you just have to plan ahead and anticipate what you will be out of a week into the future. I think it's a great service. I have NO desire to shop in stores right now and haven't been to one in 3 weeks.
So I placed an order online through the grocery store early Monday morning and they had a delivery time slot open last night between 8 - 9 p.m. I received a text last night when the person assigned to my order started shopping for us. It took quite a bit of time for her to fill the order because so many things were out of stock and she had to look for alternatives and text me to see if I wanted to accept or decline the alternate. After she was finished shopping and checked out, she drove to my house and we opened the overhead garage door and she sat the bags just inside the edge. My husband and I waited 10 feet away until she was finished, chatting back and forth with her. She was very nice and she did a fantastic job; there were only a couple items on my list that she wasn't able to fill in one way or another.

After she left my husband asked me how she gets paid and I told him I included a tip for her in the payment I made through the store. He asked me how much I gave her for a tip and when I told him the amount he said it wasn't nearly enough - she spent a great deal of time in the store trying to make sure our order was right and I should have given her more. I went online to see if I could increase the tip, and apparently if you have an Instacart account and order through them, you have up to 3 days to go in and adjust the tip. But I ordered through the grocery store and they assigned it to Instacart and there is no option to make an adjustment. I feel bad now. We'd really like to get some more money to her, but haven't been able to figure out how yet.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 11:53 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
After she left my husband asked me how she gets paid and I told him I included a tip for her in the payment I made through the store. He asked me how much I gave her for a tip and when I told him the amount he said it wasn't nearly enough - she spent a great deal of time in the store trying to make sure our order was right and I should have given her more. I went online to see if I could increase the tip, and apparently if you have an Instacart account and order through them, you have up to 3 days to go in and adjust the tip. But I ordered through the grocery store and they assigned it to Instacart and there is no option to make an adjustment. I feel bad now. We'd really like to get some more money to her, but haven't been able to figure out how yet.
I also used the store's website and it was assigned to Instacart. The first time I did this, I had no idea what Instacart was. I thought the shoppers were store employees, but I guess not. Anyway, the shopper I had did a fantastic job too and I gave her a large tip. After she delivered, the site told me what the final price was and then gave me several tip options. The site also told me the shopper's first name, so if you have that info, maybe you can contact Instacart and find out how to adjust the tip?
Old 04-01-20, 03:44 PM  
Lori_Michigan

In case there are other bakers out there, I stumbled onto this from King Arthur Flour about what you can bake if you've run out ingredients: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog...of-ingredients

I've made my own sourdough starter now that bread is increasingly hard to find. But now flour is even hard to find too!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 03:51 PM  
suzannaerin

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-VWhmvF...ource=ig_embed

The true heroes. Health care workers from Atlanta going to assist in NY.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 03:54 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
In case there are other bakers out there, I stumbled onto this from King Arthur Flour about what you can bake if you've run out ingredients: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog...of-ingredients

I've made my own sourdough starter now that bread is increasingly hard to find. But now flour is even hard to find too!
Thanks for the link, Lori! When this first started I bought King Arthur AP flour and Bread Flour (their flour really is the best!) I've never made sourdough so I should make a starter, too!
Old 04-01-20, 04:15 PM  
sherry7899

I am embarrassed to say I just found two bags of King Arthur Bread flour I forgot I had bought! I will definitely be baking bread!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 04:18 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Thanks for the link, Lori! When this first started I bought King Arthur AP flour and Bread Flour (their flour really is the best!) I've never made sourdough so I should make a starter, too!
I made my own starter about two years, and continued baking my own sourdough loaves (and crackers and rolls, and you name it!) from that starter. I loved the entire process, and found it so rewarding. I had numerous health issues last year and my starter died on me. But when this whole pandemic started, I thought if I could just get my hands on some wheat flour I should start up my sourdough passion again. And here we are!

I have a huge garden in the summer so I usually fill my breads with my own fresh herbs and garlic, or olives, or go on the sweet side with walnuts/cranberries. It's so much easier than you'd think, and then opening the lid on your dutch oven to find the loaf you made entirely from scratch is so rewarding. I also really dig forming the loaf into a ball and making a design on the top. Even my teenage son will help with the process!

Here's King Arthur's starter directions:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog...to-great-bread

I follow it exactly, and I also follow their recipe for the actual dough when your starter is ready (anywhere from 7-10 days). I use an old dutch oven with a lid, comes out perfectly every time.
Old 04-01-20, 04:21 PM  
sherry7899

Lori, that is wonderful you have your own fresh herbs-yum!

I am going to make this bread recipe. Every other recipe I've tried from her blog has been fantastic:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ho...artisan-bread/

Old 04-01-20, 04:26 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Lori, that is wonderful you have your own fresh herbs-yum!

I am going to make this bread recipe. Every other recipe I've tried from her blog has been fantastic:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ho...artisan-bread/
I've made that recipe before -- a good one! That site has some really good recipes that use minimal ingredients.

I throw anything I can into my breads, mostly so nothing goes to waste and to keep it interesting. I've even put hot peppers and cheese in! I'm so ready for garden season in Michigan, I am longing for my fresh herbs! It probably won't be until June though...
Old 04-01-20, 04:58 PM  
sherry7899

Lori, did you proof the recipe in the fridge overnight? I would need to cram the bowl on the bottom shelf and I am worried about it rising too high. I may be able to fit it on the top shelf, but that would require more rearranging. Thanks!

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing