Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-10, 04:12 PM  
curious621

Revisiting videos you thought you didn't like

I am mostly a lurker but someone on here posted a goal for us lurkers to post three times a day. Here's my first today! (I do have to say that this is my favorite forum to read- so many forums have tons of negative comments, personal slams, obscenities, etc. and it's so nice to have a warm, welcoming community here of people trying to improve themselves in a positive way!)

I did Jackie Warner's Power Workout (whatever it's called- the blue one) a while back and hated it. I thought it dragged on and on. Yesterday I did it again and had a totally different perception. It was a toughie for me (an intermediate) but it went fast enough for my limited attention span. Afterwards yesterday and today I was really sore. It's nice to get a great workout in 42 minutes.
Then today for cardio I did Petra's 3 2 1 since some posted on here that they liked it. Again I did it once a while back and didn't like it- not sure why. Today I loved it! I got so caught up in the dances that I didn't feel like I was working out and it took away some of my muscle soreness.
I guess the moral of the story is that I have to try things several times to get my true perception of the videos. (Although I will say there are some that I have tried and hated and tried again and hated even more!
I'm going to have to try some more of mine that have been sitting on my shelf untouched for a while! Laura
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 04:17 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I like the idea of more lurkers posting, we'd like to hear more from you guys!

I have the opposite problem, I try a workout and love it, then a while later I try it again and wonder what redeeming qualities I ever saw in the workout in the first place.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 04:35 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
I like the idea of more lurkers posting, we'd like to hear more from you guys!

I have the opposite problem, I try a workout and love it, then a while later I try it again and wonder what redeeming qualities I ever saw in the workout in the first place.
yup that's me. I rarely revisit something I didn't click with and often find when I do love a first visit, the revisit is a disappointment.

Barb S
who thinks it may have been the other way when I first started exercising before I realized what I like and don't like. Remember being into Billy Blanks and hating Gilad but now prefer Gilad to Billy most days
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 04:36 PM  
muddjeansgal

30 Day Shred for me. I have been doing a barre/Jillian rotation. I love NMTZ and BFBM and Shred fits in nicely on barre days. But I keep it light and use it as cardio.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 04:37 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
That's what I do too. Then I realise I've already written a rave review of it and feel bad.
Old 06-17-10, 05:03 PM  
neatski

I've definitely had that experience!

Just off the top of my head, I hated two of what have become my all-time favorite workouts: Get Ripped 1000 and Imax 3. I thought GR 1000 was boring at Imax 3 was way too hard to enjoy. In fact, I tried them and didn't pick them up again for several months. But those two are regulars in my rotation now.
neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 05:25 PM  
kali1

I totally know where you are coming from. I've done this with Insanity, Leslie Sansone & Christi Taylor. Now...I love them.
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 05:34 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

CLX. I borrowed this set from a friend and didn't click with it at all. While I like Chalene Johnson and Turbo Jam, I just couldn't connect with CLX so I returned.

A year later, I ask to borrow the set again. Low and behold, I really like it. I like the way the weight work is set up and how these compound moves are ones that I actually like and can do without joint discomfort. So I'm doing the rotation although I am substituting different forms of cardio (spinning, step, dance workouts) for the cardio workouts in the set. I believe there is such a thing as too much Chalene.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 05:41 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious621 View Post
I guess the moral of the story is that I have to try things several times to get my true perception of the videos. (Although I will say there are some that I have tried and hated and tried again and hated even more!
Yup, I have changed my first impression of many workouts!!

Quote:
And yup, I've hated some and now love them!

These are the exact reasons that I cannot do much trading! How fickle we are! Lol!
Old 06-17-10, 06:00 PM  
joyfirst

I guess I'll better stop droping the workout after first try, if I don't like it. That's what I usually do. I did notice though, that sometimes I don't like particular exercise in the video and later like it more or at least can stand it.
joyfirst is offline   Reply With Quote