Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-20, 01:04 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Sigh, I had a bit of an emotional tailspin the other day. I received a summons for jury duty.

I admit to being extremely paranoid about Covid. I've pretty much hidden in my home for many months. I haven't been to the market (we do grocery pick-up), or Trader Joe's or any public restrooms or seen family in person.

Now, they expect me to be locked up with 30 or 40 people who, judging by what I see locally, think the virus is a hoax and do not adhere to any of the safety guidelines. The numbers are still bad in our area.

I got a postponement until December.

Holy cow, I'm almost 65 and I'm supposed to get in a crowd? Why don't they just call in the 20-something Spring Breakers? Or, the 30 to 40-somethings who can't stop touching each other?

End of rant!
I can totally understand and I empathize with you. I was summoned for federal jury duty where you are on call for a month! And my service began at the end of March. I totally want to fulfill my responsibility as a citizen, but once I was sent home to telework on March 21, and all the horrors of the pandemic sunk in, there was NO WAY I was going to do jury duty. I would've had to take a bus into downtown Baltimore (which is high-crime), walk several blocks thru a neighborhood I was unfamiliar with, and then sit in those rooms with all those people ??? I'm 64. I was terrified; definitely had a melt-down. Plus, since it was the start of the quarantine, no one was answering phones - they just didn't have the system in place yet for teleworking. So I wrote a note asking for an excuse, took it to the post office for first-class delivery. I did not learn that I was excused until the night before (when you call for your instructions.)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:08 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Alta I'm shocked that your courts are conducting jury trials - that's ludicrous.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:15 PM  
DCW

My favorite quote regarding negative people...
Some folks complain about water being wet.

I thought it was so funny when I first heard it, then I felt a little sad for people who see life that way. I try to be the glass is half full, pour me some more!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:25 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
My favorite quote regarding negative people...
Some folks complain about water being wet.

I thought it was so funny when I first heard it, then I felt a little sad for people who see life that way. I try to be the glass is half full, pour me some more!!
This is so true! There are some people who will never see things as going well and this does make me sad. Chalene differentiated types of negative people: those who point their negativity at you, those who point it at themselves and those who truly are just negative by nature and are not trying to be that way.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 02:29 PM  
Vantreesta

Today's lotion is sandalwood.

My run finally felt good this morning. I've been struggling with it since the heat really kicked in last month. It was still in the mid 70s but the humidity was down to 54%. And I did my post-run yoga under the tree again, which I have been missing.

It seems like I keep adding more meditation and devotion apps to my daily list....

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 08-11-20, 03:59 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

September is going to be extra challenging. I have an appt. to see about cataract surgery. Very anxious about that.
I didn't have cataracts years ago but my doc was able to charge it off to my insurance. My vision was too bad for Lasik alone so the prescription lenses inside my eyes helped bring my vision to a point of clarity where I could have Lasik to bring my eyesight to optimum level.

The surgery itself is amazingly easy. I still don't understand how my eye could be open and yet not see anything during surgery. Weird. Painless. They do one eye at a time while you are awake.

But do NOT get monovision lenses where one eye is for reading and one for distance. I did that and regretted it. It threw off my depth perception. Your reading vision gets worse over time and it's cheaper and easier to have eyes corrected for distance and then buy cheap reading glasses each time your vision changes.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-20, 06:25 AM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday The Wake Up on Headspace was about the life cycle of a dandelion and talked about how as kids we blew the white heads and spread the seeds. It got me thinking about the childlike ways we let go of as we get older. Wouldn't you like to enjoy the innocence of rubbing a yellow dandelion on your hand or blowing the seeds again? I think it would be good for me to try to do smthg childlike every week, whether it's coloring, blowing bubbles, skipping or hula hooping. Just smthg to spark that kind of innocent joy.

I still can't remember what was in that Chalene podcast that I wanted to share. I may have to listen again.

Old 08-12-20, 08:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yesterday I had a horrible headache in my eye if that makes any sense. On top of the relentless humidity. When I got home from work I put my eye pillow in the freezer for 20 minutes and laid down with that on my eyes and forehead while listening to soothing music. DH was great about leaving me alone and foraging in the refrigerator for dinner.

Vantreesta that dandelion meditation sounds nice.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:55 AM  
Vantreesta

Pat, I get those headaches too. My eye doctor tolder me I have ocular migraines. So I call them eyegraines. A cold eye pillow sounds like a great idea! Hope it helped!

Old 08-12-20, 10:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

FirmDancer, that sounds so stressful! So glad they released you from duty! Just yesterday, the courts said they are cancelling civil jury trials until January. Criminal cases will still be heard.

Videofit, thanks for the advice!

Pat, those types of headaches are dreadful!

Vantreesta, thanks for keeping the thread going. I have temporarily fallen by the wayside.

I really need to do more gratitude work. I have so much to be thankful for!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meditation, self-care