Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-13, 12:10 AM  
Candiceena

I'm glad this was posted. I bought the 1st 5-DVD set when it was on sale for $50 (I have VF to thank for my being able to find out about the sale!) - I haven't done a single workout yet though but I liked the look of the first set.

This set is a little weird from a marketing aspect. I'm 25 and the MILF thing kinda rubs me the wrong way. Bata Barre is weird too but oh well. It's not a deal breaker.

Also, I totally agree with whoever said they need to chapter and to rehearse/cue better. I have pre-veiwed all 5 of the tapes from the original set and the modifier leaves much to be desired.

That said - I really like the look and feel of these workouts. Nothing is perfect. Although I won't buy for $130 - I'll wait for a nice $50 or $60 sale.
Old 06-14-13, 01:08 AM  
lila_says

booo, I want it!

Despite finding Darby beyond irritating, I really want this. Seeing the preview actually makes me regret buying the workout dvds I've purchased in the last few months.

I agree with others on the production & especially the pricing issues, but I know this is a series I will love. I wish I could wait for something along the lines of the $50 sale, but I HIGHLY doubt it I will however, give my business to Mary, not directly to the Dreambody people.

Edited to add, I enjoy ribbing my best friend by calling her a MILF! What's insulting is relative --- clearly terms such as MILF aren't the height of sophistication or particularly genteel but they can be quite amusing.
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 01:34 AM  
mchelle81

Message from Darby about the price she said the original set was dropped in price because of this new set being released the price will stay the same until another new set will be released probably in a year
mchelle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 07:22 AM  
pattyd0319

What's the first set like? I've wanted to see someone combine a high intensity kickbox or aerobic workout with Barre and was thinking Tracey Mallet or Cathe could pull it off. Most of the pilates/cardio workouts I've tried so far were not my cup of tea with the cardio mostly consisting of things like mountain climbers and more intense variations on floorwork to get your heart rate up rather than fun cardio moves.

The preview of the new series looks pretty good.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 07:23 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
I'm glad people are excited about this set. I like some of the workouts from the DB set, but not enough to pay this much. I do hope Darby reads these threads, though, and recognizes that for the price she wants, she needs better production values, specifically:
  • Chaptering
  • Rehearsals! The modifiers need to know HOW they are to modify. They should not have to be cued every time, nor should they have to look questioningly at the instructor until they figure out how to make something lower in impact.
  • Premixes
  • Audio options such as "Cues only"

Just my .02. Hopefully that doesn't make people feel defensive. If you use workouts a lot, whatever you pay for them is worth it to me, IMO. I just think Darby's audience will stay limited at this price point unless she addresses the bigger production issues from the last set.
I agree. The elements listed above are not there but the price per workout is higher than Cathe's, for example (whose DVDs are of very high quality IMO).
As said before, there is no advantage to the pre-sale compared (again!), to Cathe who offers free shipping and almost 50% off regular prices.
I'm very interested but not at this price. I'm going to wait for reviews and see if the price goes down.

Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 07:46 AM  
deineira

The clips look great and the ladies look fabulous. I traded the last set because it was just too frantic. Even though I like the look of this, the pacing and "craziness" look the same. I like the ideas behind their workouts, though. Maybe they don't work as well done at a reasonable pace? I hope I don't cave and buy these, because I probably will be bummed just like the first time.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 07:50 AM  
PhyllisG

Bought the first set and returned them. I was lucky enough to trade for the 2 I was most interested in--fusion ones. I will definitely not be ordering this new set any time soon. I will wait for clips, reviews and possibly a trade for the ones I like. Am I the only one who would like them to slow it down a bit so I don't feel like I am running t catch the train?! I think they could expand their customer base if they did that.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:10 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
If you use workouts a lot, whatever you pay for them is worth it to me, IMO. I just think Darby's audience will stay limited at this price point unless she addresses the bigger production issues from the last set.
I absolutely agree. I am totally unwilling to even try these, even though some of them interest me. The price is outrageous for what you are getting, compared to more polished instructors, like Cathe.

In general, from what I've read here on VF, the clips I've seen and their website, I am pretty unimpressed with this outfit. They just don't seem very professional, yet they charge top dollar for their material.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:14 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila_says View Post
Edited to add, I enjoy ribbing my best friend by calling her a MILF! What's insulting is relative --- clearly terms such as MILF aren't the height of sophistication or particularly genteel but they can be quite amusing.
It's one thing if you're joking around with a friend. It's quite another to use it in a business environment! The whole thing just seems really adolescent to me. (Not you, the DB people.)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:28 AM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
It's one thing if you're joking around with a friend. It's quite another to use it in a business environment! The whole thing just seems really adolescent to me. (Not you, the DB people.)
Yeah, that's how I feel, too. I mean, I think MILF in certain contexts can be funny, but is really inappropriate in a business context. It reminds me of a contractor I once had come to my house. I didn't hire him after he gave me his business card: "We'll nail you right the first time." I felt like I was dealing with a 12-year-old, you know?

On other comments, I actually don't always mind the pace (but you really have to be conscious of your own form) as I like the idea of using every minute of a workout. However, the modifier needs to modify so that I can smoothly switch over if I want to without stopping, and the constant talking can make it seem more frantic than it is. On the plus side, the instructor form tips are usually VERY good; they just need to figure out that workouts don't actually require you to fill every minute with chatter. They don't seem to have enough experience with the home audience to realize that we're exposed to the same chatter over and over. I really think people who make workouts for the home market should be required to actually DO their own workouts before making more.

Tags
dream body, fusion fitness