Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-16, 03:07 PM  
videofit

What causes bunions? I've noticed in the past couple of months my one pinky toe joint looks bigger and sometimes feels sore, usually after wearing round toe flats. I am wearing sandals now and that part of the joint protrudes and isn't constricted because the gladiator style straps hit on the toe above and below the joint. Is that good or bad?
Old 08-27-16, 10:43 PM  
PrairieGem

It's primarily genetic, along with foot mechanics--it's a deformation of the bone. "They" say that it can be caused by wearing shoes that are too tight/too pointy/high heels/whatever... but I have awful pinky-toe bunions and have only ever worn good shoes, since childhood, b/c my feet have been really sensitive my whole life. My mom has arthritis in her feet, and each of her sisters has had bunion surgery.

Did you know you can get BURSITIS in your bunions?! I know, right? There's a bursa--a little shock-absorbing pad of gel-like fluid--right on the outside of that little toe, and it can become inflamed, like any bursa. I've had that, and it's horrible. Like bursits anywhere, it can be caused by repetitive stress, or by a single sharp impact. Ice can help.

I need a shoe that barely touches that part of my toe *at all.* Which is why I mentioned flip-flops in my earlier post--a running store picked out shoes with overlays that swooped past *all* of my toe joints (the overlays are there for extra support of the feet, and to keep the shoes from wearing out faster; but bunions definitely don't need more pressure!), and when I was looking down at my feet one day, I had the Flip-Flop Revelation! Now I rarely wear anything but flip-flops in the summer, and my feet have never been happier. Before that, it was murder trying to find a comfortable sandal that didn't pinch or cut into that toe joint. (I can't wear ballet flats at all; I've never found a pair that weren't horrendously uncomfortable.) I have a pair of OluKai's on right now. (Fit-flops and Vionics didn't fit me well. I also like my Clark's a lot.)

The rest of the year, I like Crocs for everyday, around-the-house shoes (and I have a nice pair of leather Crocs clogs for going out in public!)--they're designed to be very wide, so they don't touch my ouchy toes at all; they're nicely cushioned and feel like heaven to slip into, and yet they're decently supportive (not super-supportive; my arthritic big toes let me know when I need to slip into something more rigid--but the bunion pinky toes usually win that fight.); with a bonus of being muddy-yard/dog friendly.

I'm crabby right now b/c I think it may be time to replace some of my shoes (maybe all of them; they're all at least a year+ old)--I'm having a lot more foot/hip aches and pains--and I don't wanna. I don't want to spent the money for all new shoes, all at once... not when I've finally got a complete, comfortable, all-occasion shoe wardrobe!!
Old 08-28-16, 05:13 PM  
lorajc

Yes....my mom has them and I'm upset customer I'm not sure the shoes are working.... still getting red spots on my feet from rubbing.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 08:46 PM  
baba

Katy Bowman has written a lot about bunion formation and fixes. A lot of times it is alignment (and from her school of thought "good" shoes are ones that are more minimal and less structured so the foot can have its full range of motion). Here's a good blog post from another blogger referencing Bowman. http://www.lisallc.com/blog/recipe-for-bunions
baba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunions, foot injury, foot pain, foot surgery